Questions re: birth control after birth.

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Hi, I have an appointment next week so I will discuss with my doctor anyway, but since I'm curious now lol, I have a few questions for you guys! When I say birth control I mean the pill/mini pill/needle.. not sure which one I'm going to opt for just yet.

Firstly, how soon after giving birth can you go back on birth control?

If you go on birth control again, does this affect the bleeding after birth?

Does it make your periods go back to 'normal' faster?

IF you're on birth control, I know some people say yes you can and some people say no you can't breastfeed. It's still something I'm thinking about~ if I went back on it, would it mess around with my hormones and make it difficult to breastfeed?

I think it's great that you are thinking about this ahead of time. I went into my 6 week follow up after delivery and when she asked what my plans were I was like um, well this or that or whatever...

The mini pill (progestin only) does not usually affect breast milk production but does not regulate your cycle. Also you only have a 3 hour window to take your pill (after 3 hours it's considered a missed dose and you need back up for 48 hours). That being said, it is still a good option if you can remember to take pills and you are worried about milk supply.

A combined oral contraceptive (estrogen/progestin components- what people think of as "the pill") allows for better cycle control. Meaning it will get your periods back to normal. You also have a bit more room for error (Obviously still be super careful) but if your dose is delayed by a few hours it's usually not a problem. It can affect millk production, so it is not usually recommended while breastfeeding. Or at least while you are building up your milk supply. I used it while breastfeeding after my son was 18 months because I wanted the cycle control and better efficacy and was not concerned about milk production at that point. (I had a really overabundant supply and he was eating table food). It is not harmful to the infant.

This is a daily tablet usually you take 1 tablet every day for 21 days then you get your period during the week that you take reminder tablets (or you can skip them if you can remember to restart in 7 days.)

Or the same type of hormones are in the Nuvaring (not sure if it's called the same thing where you are.) but it's a ring you insert vaginally and leave it in place for 3 weeks then out for 1 week when you get your period. A lot of people like this option. I used it for a while. The only complaint I had was that during my cycle it would shift and occasionally would feel like it was popping out. (At the time, I didn't realize it was b/c the cervix shifts during your cycle)

There's also the patch (same estrogen/progestin type combination). You apply 1 patch once every week for 3 weeks then leave off for 1 week (when you will get your period.) The only complaints I have heard about this on is that the adhesive can be irritating or the patch can fall off and you'd need to apply a new patch.

The shot I believe can be given soon after delivery. You need to see your provider for a shot every 11- 13 weeks though. It doesn't usually control your cycle, a lot of women have spotting and/or stop getting monthly periods after a while. My MD discouraged it b/c of the iregular bleeding and she found a lot of her patients tended to gain weight around their midsection

There's also the Mirena IUD a progestin releasing intrauterine device. I don't know too much about it, but it is good for up to 5 years and they say there's no weight gain. Apparently for the first 3-6 months you might have heavier periods and then after that light or no periods at all.

this is a pretty decent site for helping you understand your options google
orthowomenshealth (sorry I can't post links yet) then check out the birth control selector

I have taken the mini pill while breastfeeding, multiple brands of the pill, used the Nuvaring, & used a diaphragm with spermicide over the past 10 years. Also I'm a pharmacist so if you have any other questions... feel free

Sorry for the long post- I'm kind of a pharmacy geek

Xelatib has pretty much told you everything, i have however used both the depo shot and mirena coil.
The shot is great, you have it every 12 weeks, it stopped my periods but i struggled to loose the baby weight i had gained, but i dident gain more.
The mirena coil was ok too tbh, as soon as i had it my periods got lighter then eventually stopped and it is also more effective as birth control than being sterilized, but its not permanent, which is a bonus if you arent sure what the future holds.
I also had the UTI coil, i however wouldent recommend that one as i got a womb infection from it and it made my period irregular.

Xelatib has pretty much told you everything, i have however used both the depo shot and mirena coil.
The shot is great, you have it every 12 weeks, it stopped my periods but i struggled to loose the baby weight i had gained, but i dident gain more.
The mirena coil was ok too tbh, as soon as i had it my periods got lighter then eventually stopped and it is also more effective as birth control than being sterilized, but its not permanent, which is a bonus if you arent sure what the future holds.
I also had the UTI coil, i however wouldent recommend that one as i got a womb infection from it and it made my period irregular.

Not UTI, lol, IUD, thats what happens when you dont sleep properly, lol.

I think it's great that you are thinking about this ahead of time. I went into my 6 week follow up after delivery and when she asked what my plans were I was like um, well this or that or whatever...

The mini pill (progestin only) does not usually affect breast milk production but does not regulate your cycle. Also you only have a 3 hour window to take your pill (after 3 hours it's considered a missed dose and you need back up for 48 hours). That being said, it is still a good option if you can remember to take pills and you are worried about milk supply.

A combined oral contraceptive (estrogen/progestin components- what people think of as "the pill") allows for better cycle control. Meaning it will get your periods back to normal. You also have a bit more room for error (Obviously still be super careful) but if your dose is delayed by a few hours it's usually not a problem. It can affect millk production, so it is not usually recommended while breastfeeding. Or at least while you are building up your milk supply. I used it while breastfeeding after my son was 18 months because I wanted the cycle control and better efficacy and was not concerned about milk production at that point. (I had a really overabundant supply and he was eating table food). It is not harmful to the infant.

This is a daily tablet usually you take 1 tablet every day for 21 days then you get your period during the week that you take reminder tablets (or you can skip them if you can remember to restart in 7 days.)

Or the same type of hormones are in the Nuvaring (not sure if it's called the same thing where you are.) but it's a ring you insert vaginally and leave it in place for 3 weeks then out for 1 week when you get your period. A lot of people like this option. I used it for a while. The only complaint I had was that during my cycle it would shift and occasionally would feel like it was popping out. (At the time, I didn't realize it was b/c the cervix shifts during your cycle)

There's also the patch (same estrogen/progestin type combination). You apply 1 patch once every week for 3 weeks then leave off for 1 week (when you will get your period.) The only complaints I have heard about this on is that the adhesive can be irritating or the patch can fall off and you'd need to apply a new patch.

The shot I believe can be given soon after delivery. You need to see your provider for a shot every 11- 13 weeks though. It doesn't usually control your cycle, a lot of women have spotting and/or stop getting monthly periods after a while. My MD discouraged it b/c of the iregular bleeding and she found a lot of her patients tended to gain weight around their midsection

There's also the Mirena IUD a progestin releasing intrauterine device. I don't know too much about it, but it is good for up to 5 years and they say there's no weight gain. Apparently for the first 3-6 months you might have heavier periods and then after that light or no periods at all.

this is a pretty decent site for helping you understand your options google
orthowomenshealth (sorry I can't post links yet) then check out the birth control selector

I have taken the mini pill while breastfeeding, multiple brands of the pill, used the Nuvaring, & used a diaphragm with spermicide over the past 10 years. Also I'm a pharmacist so if you have any other questions... feel free

Sorry for the long post- I'm kind of a pharmacy geek

Tasha... what she said...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"