Questions to ask at first appointment

anakg27

Reaction score
Since, finding out I was pregnant a couple weeks ago, I'm going to have my first doctor appt next week. I was wondering what are some good questions to ask? I don't know much about what to expect, besides what I heard from a co-worker that just had her baby last month. I just want to make sure I cover everything.

Oh I would like to know this too- I have a drs appt next week to confirm pregnancy but will likely not have another appt until after I am back in Japan which will be 10 and a half weeks or more... This means no scans until 12 weeks or so perhaps :(

The questions I am going to ask are

Bloodtest- want to see HCG results.
When should I continue to take prenatal vitamins too?
Is there anything I should avoid?
I am on antidepressants so need to ask about these- and whether I should half dosage.

I am just going to be glad to be able to ask my questions in English with my GP- cos once we get back to Japan I will be straining my brain for Japanese pregnancy vocab- not something I have ever had much use for before now!

Is there other things I should ask? I will ask if I can have a scan before I leave Australia but that would mean getting an appt with an obgyn that I only need to see once and usually they do not do scans in Australia until 12 weeks anyway.

Good luck!

Good idea to plan a list. Some things on mine were:

-What is your after hours emergencies policy?
-If you are not available when I give birth who would your on call doctor be?
-What hospital are you affiliated with?
-What percentage of your patients receive:
-episiotomies?
-epidurals?
-c-sections?
-Will my husband be allowed to be with my at all times during the birth?

Congratulations and good luck!

Some that come to mind are:

- What hospital are you affiliated with/do you do deliveries at?
- What will my appointment schedule be? (ie: monthly until __ weeks, then biweekly, then weekly)
- Do they recommend any supplements for you in addition to prenatal vitamins?
- What, if any, medications are okay to take when pregnant? (ie: for pain relief, colds, etc)
- When will you get to have ultrasounds?

At my first appointment they also gave me a bunch of little books and pamphlets, sheets with moms groups & prenatal classes listings, etc. Ask if they have any of that! :)

Thanks for the info girls

I know some of the answers to these questions already as I know someone else who was with the same doctor who has just had a baby.

One of the things they didn't mention till later to her though was foods you should and shouldn't eat. You can find the list on the internet but she'd eaten a few things that you weren't meant to before this.

Another thing she said that she had to ask about was ante-natal classes - they won't necessarily offer the info unless you request it.

Hope that helps x

I have a similar question, except im not living were i will be once i have the baby.. i will move when im about 7 months pregnant back up to scotland, will they send all my stuff up with me to my new doctor and will i get placed with a new midwife?? because ill be in london up untill then... and when do antenatal classes start.. will i start them here and then change groups to one in Edin?? or should i just start them in Edin.. my brain is mush at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->