Questions

Mb2012

Mother of 1
Reaction score
I'm still pregnant but had a few questions for you girls who've already had your babies. I've been looking at this travel system I want and I've just noticed that the car seat portion of it says the max weight supported is 22 pounds. So that would mean my daughter could only be in the car seat up until she was 22 pounds right? If that's right about when did your LO hit that weight? I know all babies are different but I kind of just want to get some sort of idea of when I'd need to buy a new car seat for her.

My next question is where your LO slept when they first came home? I know a lot of people do the co-sleeping thing but did anyone bring a baby home and put them right in a crib? If not what did you use until you felt comfortable putting your baby in the crib?

Thanks in advance for any answers ladies :flower:.

Okay, for the carseat thing. Yes 22lbs is the maximum for an infant carseat. My daughter hit 22lbs at 11 months. But because i hated the infant carseat SO much, I switched to a convertible carseat when she was 6 months old and loved it SO much more.

As for the sleeping situation, we tried to cosleep, but due to her having jaundice she had to sleep on a bilibed for almost the first week. And that really messed up her sleeping. So when she wasn't sleeping in that she slept in the swing, and ended up doing really well and so she stayed sleeping in the swing until she was 4 months (began sleeping through the night at 6 weeks all the way through 4 months) then switched her to a crib at 4 months and she slept horrible. Finally we switched her to a toddler bed at almost 12 months and she's being doing great with it.

All in all, I didn't "plan" to do any of that. She has a personality of her own and we work around it lol. Thats all you can do! :) Just do what works best for your baby.

Yes, the maximum weight is 22lbs/29 inches. My daughter is only 19lbs/28 inches at 1 year but we have a convertible car seat in the car but I use the infant car seat for when I go out with other people in their cars. Will be getting rid of soon.

Yes, baby can go straight into crib if you want! My LO was in her bassinet.

Noah was 22lb13oz when he was 6 months, but he was big.

He went in a moses basket when we came home, but he wouldn't sleep in it at all so we co-slept for a few months then he went into a cot. Next baby I have I won't be bothering with a moses basket (I think you call them bassinets?), they'll just go straight in a cot or cosleep for a bit then into a cot :)

https://www.jusonne.co.uk/ekmps/shops/jusonneuk/images/twinkle-twinkle-moses-basket-1106-p.jpg
Moses basket

https://housetohome.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/96%7C000009ab6%7Ce4a8_cot.jpg
Cot

(Cos I wasn't sure if what you call a 'crib' in the US is the same as what we call a cot... Or if its the same as a crib which is like a smaller cot iykwim?
https://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/br/brio-glider-crib---antique-pine-finish.jpg
^ This is what I'd think of as a crib!

Oliver slept in a moses basket for 12 weeks, big waste of money. Wish I had just put him in a cot straight away!

Riley was 23lb at 12 months, but he outgrew his infant car seat at 9 months.. & When i bought riley home he slept in his moses basket which was in his swinging crib x

My son is 21lbs and he's 11 months. When we came home from the hospital he was in his moses basket. Kept him in there for a few months since he was so small and I was so scared of him going into the cot!

Issy slept in her pram top until she went into a cot at about 4 months. Moses/bassinet is a waste!
As for the carseat, my lo was over a year old before she hit 22lb, but obviously all babies are different. Good luck :thumbup:

My LO is 15lbs at 5 months old. Obviously everyone's LO's are different, though, so your's could grow faster.

My LO was in her bassinet for the first few weeks, and then we co-slept her. If you want to, you can put LO in their crib from the very beginning. My sister did this, and everything was fine. Will the crib be in your room? You'll probably want LO to be close to you for the first while.

That sounds normal for a travel system. My LO stayed in his until he was about a year old and than we transitioned him to a big boy car seat which can hold him until he's 40 pounds. It just varies though on how long can you use it, it also has a height restriction, I'm not sure how much it is, but when your LO reaches either the height or the weight restriction, you're supposed to switch them over.

I had no intention of co-sleeping, I didn't know much about it. So, I bought a bassinet but he rarely went in it. A lot of the time he would either nap in the swing we had (which was a godsend, I'd recommend anyone get a swing) or he would sleep in my arms. Most of the time it was in my arms. Around 4 weeks old, I started co-sleeping because I was falling asleep with him in bed anyways, so figured I'd start making a habit of it and it was a great experience. :D We still co-sleep too!

Molly just hit the weight where I have moved to a new carseat. She's one...I used the hell out of the infant seat lol. And Molly refused to sleep in her crib for the first two months of her life, I think it just felt too big. But bassinets or moses baskets are often very short termed, not really worth the money imo. I just slept with her in my bed

Yes, the maximum weight is 22lbs/29 inches. My daughter is only 19lbs/28 inches at 1 year but we have a convertible car seat in the car but I use the infant car seat for when I go out with other people in their cars. Will be getting rid of soon.

Woah!! Jade has been 19 lbs since 6 months :wacko:

Maddison is 9 months and still fits in her car seat :) We are going to get her a forward facing one after christmas.

When she came home from hospital she went into a moses basket.
maddiemosesbasket.jpg
she was in her moses basket until she was about 4 months and then we put the moses basket inside her cot for a couple of weeks because if we put her from her moses basket where she felt secure straight into a cot it might have seemed too big, if that makes sense ?

Woah!! Jade has been 19 lbs since 6 months :wacko:

Molly's pretty small! How tall are you??

Sounds pretty standard. Another thing to think about is if you have a long baby that might also factor in to how long the carseat will last. Nathaniel is 21lbs at basically a year old.

I used a moses basket. And loved mine! Nathaniel was in his until I transferred him to cot at 6 months. (which is when he went in his own room)

Thanks a lot girls, had no idea they had height restrictions on them as well so I'll have to look into that. I'm thinking I'll have a crib for her to sleep in in my room and a bassinet for when she first comes home, if I don't use it for long I can always sell/donate it. I'm definitely not going to set anything in stone yet as by these answers it's very obvious babies do as they want so I'll just have to wait and see how she adjusts. :flower: Thanks again.

Thanks a lot girls, had no idea they had height restrictions on them as well so I'll have to look into that. I'm thinking I'll have a crib for her to sleep in in my room and a bassinet for when she first comes home, if I don't use it for long I can always sell/donate it. I'm definitely not going to set anything in stone yet as by these answers it's very obvious babies do as they want so I'll just have to wait and see how she adjusts. :flower: Thanks again.

Am not sure if it is a 'restriction' per se, but your LO might start looking a bit squashed near the end of the time using it, so you might feel better moving to a bigger one a bit before the 22lbs recommended weight.

when did your LO hit that weight?
My DS is almost a year old and weighs 21.5lb so more than likely will weigh 22lbs or a little bit more on his 1st birthday.

where your LO slept when they first came home?
When we brought DS home we did try to put in him his moses basket but he kept crying and seeing as we were sleeping on a mattress on our living room floor I couldn't keep an eye on him so he ended up sleeping on my chest.

If not what did you use until you felt comfortable putting your baby in the crib?
For about the first week DS slept in bed with me and OH. He was in his moses basket a few nights but then he was back in the bed with us as the temps dropped as it was snowing :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->