Radiation exposure when flying: Has anyone researched this?

BeachgalNY

Reaction score
Note: Does anyone know if we're not supposed to repost in different forums?

Hi, all!

My husband and I travel a lot. This year happens to be a banner year for us, though none of our planned travel will take us out of the country (something we often do). I was reading You Having a Baby last night and was really scared when I read this:

Radiation alters the DNA of cells as they replicate . . . Fetal cells reproduce the fastest and are the most susceptible to injury, which may lead to miscarriage or birth defects, or predispose your child to cancer later in life . . . Flying for thirty hours exposes you to the same dose of radiation as one chest X-ray.

This concerns me because we're planning at least 31 hours of flying before week 19 (though none after that):
Already did 5 hours total flying during week 5
Approximately 5 hours flying to the west coast and 5 hours back at week 9
Approximately 3 hours flying to Florida and 3 hours back at week 13/14
Approximately 5 hours flying to the west coast and 5 hours back at week 18

Does anyone know more about the safety of radiation exposure from flying during pregnancy? I'm reading as much as I can, but some of the more scientific (and therefore, trustworth, IMHO) pieces are hard for me to understand! :blush: "Mommy brain" much?

Most of these trips are to visit family and very close friends, who live far from us. They can't afford the time and money to come see us, so it makes me very sad to consider canceling the trips. That said, I'll do anything to protect our little one.

I'd love any information, resources, or advice any of you can give. Thanks!

Sorry, I can't give you anything specific but I'd suggest you look into pregnancy policies for flight attendants. I did do some research when I was first pregnant two years ago and I concluded flying was fine. But then knew I'd only have a total of three short distance (2 hours each way) and one transatlantic flight, so a bit less than what you're talking about. So don't take my word for it, but I'd assume you'll find you'll be fine.

They have no restrictions for flying for pilots or FAs. I would try to limit flights as much as possible. My MFM did tell me not to fly when I first saw her at 8 weeks, but it was because I was already high risk. (My OB said flying was fine though.) I wouldn't really worry about it for a few flights here and there though. I would refuse to go through the advanced screening machines (and depending on the airport will just let you go through the regular one if you tell them you are pregnant).

I wouldn't worry as you're not flying 30 hours consecutively.

Also, AFAIK a single check x-ray isn't harmful to baby - my understanding is that you'd need many repeated x-rays to pose a risk and that everyone is (understandably) overcautious about it.

Enjoy your trips!

It's a little unsettling. Women used to get an x-ray before birth (to determine position I think). I'm not sure which one of my grandmothers children were exposed, but I know she had it done with at least one child. All of her kids are alive and well today, the oldest is 71! So it's not a good thing but maybe not as bad as it seems? Good luck!

I agree with what the others have said, try not to worry about it. I flew lots during my pregnancy as I'm based in the UK and my family is on the east coast of the U.S. (an 8 hour flight from here) and I often have to travel back to San Francisco for my work (11 hour flight). There's been lots of research done on flying risk and pregnancy in flight attendants and it's generally considered safe as long as you're otherwise healthy. Your flights are fairly short and they'll be during some of the easiest weeks of your pregnancy. I'm a medical researcher, so I read up on this before I had to make my first long haul flight during pregnancy and I was pretty satisfied that it was safe. So enjoy your trips and time spent with family. It will get harder to make those trips once your baby arrives, so it's definitely time to make the most of it now. :thumbup:

HI im a radiographer (so i work with ionising radiation)

i dont know a lot about atmospheric radiation... but it is atmospheric so its not just limited to being high in the sky....its down on the ground everyday too at a lower level and some areas/regions are different etc (natural background radiation)

the worst time to ever have a radiation exposure is between week 2 and 9 of your pregnancy as this is when a baby will grow fastest and thats when cells are at most risk..... a lot of babies born prematurely at 25 weeks etc are usually x-rayed every day for medical reasons and I dont think they have a significant increased risk of developing childhood cancers so if your travelling after 25 weeks im sure any risk to the baby wouldnt be as bad as if you were in 1st tri...?????? again im not an expert

im 5 weeks pregnant and am happily working away!!!

in terms of diagnostic imaging a chest x ray is not a big dose of radiation in comparison to CT etc.

dont forget your baby is deep inside you and is more safe than you think they are.... try not to worry

I really appreciate all the great information you brave women have shared. Sounds like many of you have done your own research. Your babies are lucky to have such great moms. :)

I did find this article, which seems well researched and gave me some guidelines and comfort. I'm going to aim for having no more than 1mSv of radiation during the 40 weeks and leave it at that.

The article is:
"In-flight radiation exposure during pregnancy." by RJ Barish. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Jun;103(6):1326-30.

The link will take you to the PubMed page, which has an abstract. Although I found a free full text copy online, for some reason I can't seem to find it again. However, I'd be glad to send a copy to anyone who wants to read it. It's only 5 pages (including references), so although there are some terms that I found tough to figure out, it was a fairly quick read.

Thanks again for the comfort and good advice!

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

I found this link useful for the few times that I have had to fly, as it shows the space weather, including current solar radiation/storms. If it is really high, then you will be exposed to more radiation while flying. I don't have much more advice for you, but I do understand your concerns. I flew for a total of 12 hours when I was about 15 weeks pregnant last time, and I was pretty nervous. I feel so much pressure on my body during take off, I always wonder if that too is bad for a little tiny developing baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->