Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Funny, positive, rude and weird things people have said to babywearers

Click HERE

Have you got any to share?

<3

Lol - I like the one that says "it's like strapping on a hug" <3

This is my experience [I really have only had the one. Others have just been smiles or people asking what brand of sling it was] - Sorry it's kinda long [I wrote this up for a rant post I had on the subject when my daughter was coming to work with me, she was 12 weeks old when this happened....]

I work full time and am able to bring my daughter along and I feel very lucky to do so. I tend to wear her in a sling so that she stays close to me and I can have both hands free to work [I do desk work]. Well we hired a new woman and she's been giving me dagger eyes every time I have her in the sling.... today she finally asked "when do you plan to stop wearing her like that?" :shock: so I said that I hadn't planned on having an "end date" for this, that it's something that we'll do until both my daughter and I are at a point where it doesn't seem needed anymore. She just snickered and said that I'm "doing damage to her and I'll end up with a spoilt brat" if I don't stop now. I just said thanks for the input and walked away. :dohh:

Some people... :haha:

I've had a 'she looks so snug in there' and one woman who just walked past and went 'awwwwww!' - so all positive so far.

My Nan hates the idea because she saw one baby on a bus once in some sort of carrier who was screaming - she just assumed the baby was upset because of the carrier.

i always get the "oh, he'll be too heavy for that soon" (he's 16m) i just reply with "when he wishes to walk he will, until now it's nice having a snuggle as i walk"

I love the "I didn't know you could use an umbrella with a sling" hahahaha!

My husband uses the wrap a lot but I use it less often outdoors with DS than I did with DD (as we do a lot of walking so being able to use the buggy board on the pram comes in handy, I mainly use the wrap in the house). But when I have had comments thankfully they've all been positive so far - usually along the "baby looks snug" lines.

I've gotten the "you sure have your hands full!" comment while walking my dog with baby on my back....um actually no I don't :haha:

i am wondering what people will say when i have one on the front one on then back and one holding my hand :haha:

I usually only get some variation of women in their 60's saying something along the lines of how they wish they had those when they had young ones - would have saved their arms - that sort of thing.

I usually get positive comments..oh doesnt she look snug and comfy etc but my mum is adament that im creating myself a problem and encouraging her to be clingy by wearing her as much as I do..sigh lol

Lol, I play the flute and often wear during rehearsals/ lessons etc... The first time my teacher saw him in the wrap. She exclaimed ' oh, it doesn't look that funny at all' Hilarious! So obviously during our many convos about my wearing my previous children shed been nodding and smiling, all the while thinking ' how funny that will look' I love her though so it's fine. x

I really only got nice comments.

I don't wear him much anymore - he's almost 5 now - but when I wore him around Christmas time last year so I could get some things done while he needed to be close to me I got the "he's too big now" comments. hehe

My mom thinks I should have the wrap framed. I agree! I'll frame it and hang in on the wall where everyone can see it.

Since I've been out a few more times, I've gotten so many 'awwwws'! I'm sure she gets more attention than babies in pushchairs!

Never had a negative comment.

So my Nan went off on one the other day. We were going up to the doctors for DD's vaccinations and as we were getting ready to go I started putting on the moby wrap.

My Nan went mental! I don't even know why she went mental - but she did! She basically ordered me to put DD in he pushchair about 5 or 6 times! I really don't know what her problem was!!!

Anyway I took DD in the wrap anyway but these were the comments I got and my rebuttals:

"It's a just a bit of material" - It's a specific piece of material designed specifically for this purpose.

"But she'll get soaked!" (It was raining) - I've put her in a coat with a hood, the wrap will be 3 layers thick over her and I'm going to do my coat up over her.

(Right after the previous comment) "But wouldn't she prefer to face outwards" - Maybe but it's pissing it down with rain and the rain would go in her face!

"But you'll get soaked!" - Er... my hands are free so I can hold an umbrella.

(In the dr's reception) "If we had the pushchair you could put her down to go to sleep" - (After her vaccinations and a minute of crying she zonked out in my arms and continued to sleep in the wrap the whole way home).

"But it won't take long to set up the pushchair" - I live in a 1st floor flat. I would have to carry the pushchair downstairs, come back up, carry DD downstairs and put her in it, then reverse the whole thing coming home. Plus I'd have to spend 5 minutes putting on the fiddly rain cover while she's fussing and crying cos she wants to get out.

She really pissed me off :-(

Aw, that is awful of her! Wonder what her problem with wraps is lol?!?

I've only gotten positive responses so far. Several people have asked where I got my dolcino woven wrap, it's really pretty :)

But, a lady did say something kinda weird to me once...said its just like a marsupial and wouldn't it be nice if humans had a little pouch on their stomachs to tuck their babies into for safe keeping, lol! It made me laugh, she was very sweet.

I've been getting a lot of support and "Yay! Babywearing!" messages. I'm also finding out that a lot of my techie friends are babywearers - both moms and dads. :cloud9:

People usually just want to coo over her - she has a lot of curly hair so people tend to notice that stuck out the top of the wrap and not a lot else :haha:
Some shop assistants in John Lewis did point at me the other day though - something along the lines of 'look at that baby carrier' but I think it was positive not 'look at that *weird* baby carrier'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->