random facts..

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
I love random facts, I like really odd ones or origins of words or sayings.

Many years ago you would keep your top hat clean with mercury. This would give you hallucinations which is where the saying "mad as a hatter" came from.

Anyone got anything?

Lol I love random facts! My OH is full of them

Camels have 3 eyelids

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a Friday 13th in them

Nearly a forth of the bones in your body are actually in your feet.

A Polar Bear's fur is clear, not white.

Crocodiles can't stick out their tongues.

I also really like the origins of sayings but my mind's gone totally blank! :haha:

In shakespeares day daughters slept on a "shelf" in their parents room and boys on the floor until they married. If you never got married you were "left on the shelf" Which is where that phrase came from. :flower:

I can only think of them when they happen to come up in convo.. Watch countdown if you can they tell them every so often.

Years ago you would sell your wee to the tannery for animal skin, you would only do that if you were poor.. Piss poor
They would collect this in a pot but if you were really poor and didn't have the pot to collect the wee in you were so poor you wouldn't have a pot to piss in

Babies are born without knees!

Its believed we can see in colour so that we could identify fruit in trees and avoid poisonous fruit

Shakespeare invented lots of the words and phrases we use today, including Ladybird, bedazzled and the green-eyed monster.

Think of a tool and a colour...

Babies have an aversion to plants, which is believed to be a mechanism to stop them eating anything poisonous.

Cats hate the smell of citrus fruit.

Guiness used to be recommended to pregnant women as it contains a lot of iron.

Cath Kidston and Kirstie Allsop are cousins.

...most people think of a red hammer.

In shakespeares day daughters slept on a "shelf" in their parents room and boys on the floor until they married. If you never got married you were "left on the shelf" Which is where that phrase came from. :flower:

Wow did not know this! Imagine sleeping on a shelf :wacko:

Shakespeare invented lots of the words and phrases we use today, including Ladybird, bedazzled and the green-eyed monster.

Think of a tool and a colour...

Babies have an aversion to plants, which is believed to be a mechanism to stop them eating anything poisonous.

Cats hate the smell of citrus fruit.

Guiness used to be recommended to pregnant women as it contains a lot of iron.

Cath Kidston and Kirstie Allsop are cousins.

...most people think of a red hammer.

I did indeed think of a red hammer :haha:

Sharks need to keep swimming or they will drown..

Every 14 days a language dies (I find this one scary!)

Mount Everest's height was once surveyed at exactly 29,000ft. The surveyors added 2ft as they thought that they wouldn't be believed.

Now, there are a few 'official' heights of Everest used in different countries.

The 'V-Sign' was 'invented' after the French used to cut off those fingers of the English bowmen. The English used to stick their fingers up to the French before a battle.

There was a random law that was in place for years (not sure if it is still there).

You can shoot a welshman in Chester with a bow & arrow after Midnight if they are within the city walls.

The punishment for attempted suicide in England was execution.

Thunder & lightening happen at the same time, for every 6 seconds delay between the lightening and the thunder = 1 mile away

I love things like this :)
Thr male praying mantis cannot mate with its head attached to its body, the female initiates sex by ripping his head off

Thr male praying mantis cannot mate with its head attached to its body, the female initiates sex by ripping his head off

It can :blush: I had to do a presentation on reproduction in organisms on Friday and the preying mantis was my chosen organism. A preying mantis is more likely to fly away unharmed in natural settings. In laboratory settings, in 90% of cases, mating ends in sexual cannibalism. The ripping off of the head was thought to be a reproductive strategy as the ejaculation becomes more vigorous once the female has bitten off his head.

Female cats/Lions howl/screech after sex as the male penis has a hundreds of tiny sharp spines, which when pulled out rip the inside of the female to promote ovulation, which hurts them, hence the noise!!

It can :blush: I had to do a presentation on reproduction in organisms on Friday and the preying mantis was my chosen organism. A preying mantis is more likely to fly away unharmed in natural settings. In laboratory settings, in 90% of cases, mating ends in sexual cannibalism. The ripping off of the head was thought to be a reproductive strategy as the ejaculation becomes more vigorous once the female has bitten off his head.

Female cats/Lions howl/screech after sex as the male penis has a hundreds of tiny sharp spines, which when pulled out rip the inside of the female to promote ovulation, which hurts them, hence the noise!!

:O
I have bee thoroug

I have been thoroughly lied to!

Thanks for the myth busting though :thumbup: :D

I have been thoroughly lied to!

Thanks for the myth busting though :thumbup: :D

I actually always thought they always bit off the males head until I had to research it. It was quite interesting!! x

Us and dolphins are the only mammels that mate for pleasure :sex:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"