Rant and a concern about pregnancy and a dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombshellmom

Momma of 2 DD'S and expecting DS in April!
Reaction score
My husbands damn dog jumps all over me (she's a husky) knocks over my 3 year old and is just overall hyper and crazy. She's 7 months I think but pretty big now. A while ago I was sitting on my couch and she just started running toward me and jumped on my legs - it freaked me out and I realized what she was doing luckily so she missed stepping on my belly. What could happen if she ever did? I'm afraid to fall asleep with her around me because what if she decides to jump on me and hurts me/the baby? What can I do to stop this? I'm at work most the day and she terrorizes everything also.

Awh she is only a baby herself ! We have four dogs and I'm on baby no 2 . Baby is well protected in there so I wouldn't worry too much but do try and side step those hurtling hugs as much as you can . Maybe ask oh to bring the dog to obediences classes where she will learn how to behave . In the meantime every time she tries jump up on anyone , immediately turn your back withdrawn your attention . Only give it when she is doing what you want her to do ie sitting or being calm , most of us have reinforced the " jumping up behaviour by when our pups were tiny offering hugs and cuddles when they jumped up on us ( after all they are soooo cute at that age ) its not a problem then as they only reach your ankle but then as they grow and become stronger it does become an issue . The poor dogs don't know why all of a sudden its not ok , they get shouted at instead of cuddles !!!!

Good luck with your pregnancy and remember baby is well protected but its never too early to start teaching your dog the behaviour you want ;)

I would strongly suggest you seek help from a dog psychologist (rather than a typical trainer, think more Cesar Millan than puppy class training)

Your husband, yourself and your children should be higher in your 'pack' than your dog is and particularly with a Husky or those sorts of working dog breeds they need very very educated handling.

I have two dogs, a Weimaraner and a collie/lab/spaniel mix both of whom are very well behaved because we have strict boundaries and limitations for what is acceptable behaviour and what is not. They have a good exercise regime and therefore are really great dogs.

Exercise sounds like your first port of call as you need to drain their physical energy and you also need to ensure that she's mentally stimulated so she isn't frustrated.

Please seek professional help as behaviour you describe can quickly escalate to much more.

Is your dog getting enough exercise, do you have a yard she can run around in. We have a boxer/short hair pointer mix, he is an old man now but when we got him we got a very large kennel and only let him out for food and few times a day for potty and puppy play time. Try to get hubby to agree to that then gradually reduce kennel time as she behaves well. When she jumps send her straight to the kennel for a while (kind of like time out) it takes time but she will eventually get it. As far as knocking your son down...that still happens here. It's just the breed, bigger dogs don't seem to know how big they are.

Your dog needs exercise and training. She is still very young, and is a very active breed, so expecting her to just turn into a nice, calm, well behaved dog is just not going to happen. It's going to take commitment and work from everyone in the house to teach her appropriate behaviour.

Dog training is indeed the answer. We don't allow our dog to jump. He can be happy, but has to keep paws on the ground. You shld consider dog obedience lessons or have someone teach you to handle a dog. He's young, so it shld not be too hard. Excersise is of course key as well, but that's part of dog ownership. Your dog & you will be a lot more relaxed & happier with each other if boundaries are set. Your husband might be happy with a rambunctious dog ( mine is), so our dog goes wild with 'daddy' & is behaved with mummy & toddler. We taught our child always to be gentle & approach with respect. Our toddler is not allowed to rid him, or tease him.

Shes a puppy. Thats what puppies do lol my dog used to drive me nuts doing this, thankfully hes grown out of it but has still come up on my belly a few times.
Big breeds really need good training and lots of exercise.
She'd have to knock you extremely hard to do any damage.

Agree with the others! I have a 13 week old German Shepherd pup that I am currently training. We had already put the deposit on a special litter of pups from a reputable breeder before I learned I was pregnant. I make it my mission to turn this dog into a well behaved companion. 7 months is still total puppy. Your dog will benefit from more vigorous regular exercise and consistent training. I suggest you take on some of the dog's training yourself, and assert yourself as pack leader! That would be the best way to turn out with a dog who knows how to behave around you.

If you want the dog to respect you and treat you like a dominant figure instead of an equal or lesser, then you're going to have to change your ways. Yeah, it's easy to just be annoyed with the dog, but it would only make the situation worse. Dogs can read our body language very well and know when we are getting annoyed, and they lose our respect if we aren't calm and collected. The pup isn't a person and won't think the same way as a person. Treats and training are KEY. Being calm with the dog instead of getting annoyed will fix a lot of issues. Buy a container of little tiny training treats. Tell the dog to SIT and press the dog's lower back (right where the tail attaches) into a sit position. Immediately give a treat. Do it again. And again. And again. After two or three or maybe fifty times, you'll say SIT, and the puppy will sit. Congratulations! You've just taught the dog that you make the rules! This dog will now have more respect for you and is more likely to listen to and obey you.

Keep at it. I know it seems like a lot, but this is for the safety of the dog and the kids and will give this dog a happy life and give your kids an amazing little friend to grow up with. (I hope you know all the wonderful benefits there are to raising kids with pets! If not, look it up! Having this knowledge makes it easier to deal with this training!) Your dog will jump. Once the dog knows the command SIT, when the dog jumps, you'll say, SIT. The dog will either sit, or you'll press that dog's butt down and give her a treat immediately. Keep some treats in your pocket. The more opportunities you have to tell the dog to sit and to give the dog a treat, the better behaved and wonderful this dog will be.

What others have said, she is just a puppy and she doesn't know any better. You can't expect her to just one day become a good dog and stop her misbehavior without proper training. That's like expecting a toddler to behave without ever correcting his behavior.

And like others have said, huskies needs loads of exercise! They've got a ton of energy that needs to be burned as a full grown adult dog, let alone a puppy!

She just needs to be trained to not jump. I have a puppy who just turned one, and he has been taught not to jump up at/on me. When I see he is about to do it, I tell him "No!" and he usually stops mid jump.

Training her to respond to traditional commands is all very well but it doesn't establish you as pack leader truly.

Definitely seek professional guidance to help you with her and you'll have a great time. I love having dogs and kids.

I have a little dog I can say the first ten months with her were hell. Jumping chewing barking potty training etc.. but I enrolled in puppy classes I found a routine committed to her exercise floor play time. Gave her a good schedule she can depend on. And now I have a well trained three year old who's nose is lying on my belly very gently she knows something is going on in there and I'm not the least bit worried about my growing belly or a new born. I am worried about her feelings but we will do our best.

Find help. Get a book petsmart and Petco offer cheap classes, and as much as I hate to say this you need to be involved in her training it took my husband months to catch up to the things the trainers taught me and for her to understand that his word mattered to. He admits that he wished he had just done it with us.

Well, I've had a husky pup before and she was definitely not this psycho. At least from what I can remember. Maybe it's just hormones making me on edge.
It's definitely hard on me since I'm literally the only one doing everything in my home right now. And I cannot help but get annoyed - quite frankly I told DH I didn't want to deal with another pup this soon as I'm already stressed in home life and this pregnancy. its just added stress right now - not taking it too well.

DH doesn't believe in kennels unfortunately. it's not like id keep her in there all day at all. I looked up some obedient dog schools hopefully maybe that would help, going to call Friday. I know the benefits of having a dog for kids - I have two already. never been pregnant while either of them were puppies. Just used to having older dogs.

Every dog is different and the environment for this pup might be different from pups you've had before or the situation might be different in terms of exercise, discipline etc.

Putting her in a kennel will just result in her becoming more boisterous and frustrated and will probably exacerbate her already exuberant behaviour. Unless you can find an effective way of draining her energy physically and mentally it will be hard for her to be 'calm' at home.

Same with children. You can't expect them to be cooped up inside all day and sit quietly and behave.

Hopefully you'll have some luck with the training schools you've found.

Yeah, she gets plenty of exercise. So that's really not the problem here, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"