Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

I'm so glad to read about all the good nights/mornings!! :happydance:

Our night was a disaster. I can't even talk about it. If it wasn't a one-off I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Putting him down on his tummy failed, but so did everything else, so it wasn't a fair test and I'll try again some other time.

Question though -- if LO has missed a LOT of sleep during the night, should I change anything about the daytime routine? I'm thinking not really...right?

So sorry to hear SE. Be extra kind to yourself today xxx

- SE, a friend of mine was having similar problems with frequent night wakings when her LO was rolling in his sleep and she had some luck getting him to nap on his side which seemed to help the night sleep as he didn't freak out when he rolled in his sleep.

Thanks Stephie. I think that's right. Usually when he sleeps happily on his tummy it's after he's fallen asleep on his side initially and then rolled later.

He calmed down when I shh/patted him on his tummy for approximately a century, but he wouldn't fall asleep there. Still, I think there is promise, because I would never have imagined he would be calmed that way.

Seaweed, so sorry to hear you had such a dreadful night. If Clara has slept very badly I do tend to let her catch up a little bit by napping longer. But I don't know if that's the right or wrong thing to do. I tend to put her down earlier though and then still get her up at the same time as usual rather than letting her nap later than usual if that makes sense.

Bananaz, yay for 6.30 a.m. wake up!!

It was teething!!!!!!!!! OMG you guys. LO slept only 6 hours last night. I slept 3, in three different chunks. I can feel a tooth today. That means that the madness is likely to end soon, right?! Please say yes!

It was teething!!!!!!!!! OMG you guys. LO slept only 6 hours last night. I slept 3, in three different chunks. I can feel a tooth today. That means that the madness is likely to end soon, right?! Please say it's so!

Yay, that's great news! I don't know how you feel about medication but when my LO has a tooth cutting I usually give her some ibuprofen before bed and it makes a big difference for her sleep.

Usually the intense pain dies down once the tooth breaks through the gum. Fingers crossed he will sleep really well tonight to make up for last night. Did you give painkillers at all? I actually hate using them (I don't like taking them myself either) but I do usually give Nurofen if Clara is finding it unusually difficult to settle to sleep. It's hard to call though because I don't like the idea of giving painkillers on a very regular basis. Clara has definitely had more than Thomas ever did but she just seems much more bothered by teething and she has also been ill much more often than he was in his first year.

SW - I would give her something to sooth the pain tonight, like baby Advil. When Sofia was cutting her first one (last week) she was fussier during the day and I could see the white underneath. So I just gave her the Advil and her sleep didn't really change much.

Btw guys, I'm still reading this thread even though my LO sttn. I figured I can help someone out but you guys are all experts now :D

We gave him some acetaminophen a little after bedtime and he did have a stretch of a few hours of sleep. Will definitely give something tonight. Acetaminophen has helped him a lot with colds so far but it seems like ibuprofen is the painkiller of choice for teething. Is that right? Maybe we'll pick some up today.

BTW Shadowy (hi :wave:) I'm glad to hear Sofia's sleep wasn't affected. Any signs of a second tooth yet?

Yeah I think ibuprofen is better for teeth. Because it is anti-inflammatory as well as a pain-killer.

Iburprofin is definitely best for teething!

Every tooth has been different for us in terms of sleep disruption.

SW - no just the first one is 1/3 out, lol! The second one is close though i feel how hard her gum is. Hope you have a better night tonight

SW - no just the first one is 1/3 out, lol! The second one is close though i feel how hard her gum is. Hope you have a better night tonight

Clara is exactly the same, Shadowy! She looks very funny with just one tooth peg sticking up! I think the one next to it is very close though, I can see the outline of it under the gum now.

Hi everyone. I have my first day back at work tomorrow and I'm praying for a good night. Last few days have ended up with miraculously late (for us!) wake ups of 6.40 but we have been a bit disturbed in the night with pain cry outs. It looks like we may be getting another tooth on the bottom. On Sunday it looked like his gums were bleeding inside where the eye tooth would be and today it's white on the gum. We're also on three days straight of one nap. I spoke to his nursery and they are happy to do 'on demand' naps which pleases me a lot. Naps have always been unpredictable and it would be a nightmare if he had structured nap times. Also he isn't truly ready for just one nap but will get angry if pushed into taking two.

On previous post we give nurofen A LOT. He really suffers with teething causing earaches etc. I feel its kinder (as long as you brush teeth) to them not to suffer and have regular doses

Notnic, good luck at work! I've really enjoyed being a working mama most days. Fingers crossed for a good night for you both.

Sounds like your daycare is flexible - so nice.

Hi all - Looks like teething has gotten a few of us and others are having good nights.

My update... LO had a pretty good night last night. I'm sticking to nursing earlier in the routine and putting her down awake. I tried to get her drowsy by shush and pat, but that just wasn't happening last night. I think she knew what was coming so she was trying to be SUPER awake. So I left her in there. Cried, but not the awful kind for a few minutes. I did a check at 5 min, settled her so she was on her belly chewing on her cloth (her comfort object), left again. More crying that got kinda bad and I'm a wimp, so I went back in after about 3-4 minutes. Settled her again and stayed in the room but so she couldn't see me. Once she was settled, I left. She watched me leave, but only moaned for a minute and was out until 1:30. Nursed and back to sleep until 4:30 (couldn't believe it). Nursed, asleep for about 20 minutes. Then on and off until 5:45 when I brought her into bed. She was quiet but I don't know that she slept much. Up at 6:30. I went to work late today, because I have to work late:growlmad:, so we went on a walk at first nap time. Slept 45 minutes. OH put her down in her cosleeper for her second nap (usually it's in the swing) and she slept for an hour! So excited. I tried to put her down for her third nap when I went home for lunch, but she was wide awake when I left. I had to go back to work so I'm not sure what happened. OH is nervous about putting her down for bedtime bc I usually do it. He said he'll try, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. It seems like it's helping. :flower: But I'm sure I'll be on here again to ask questions when something else comes up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->