Rant: Ugh, the carpal tunnel

mrshan

Reaction score
I think I'm more excited to be able to use my hands again than to meet my baby boy. The hand weakness, pain, and numbness is driving me insane. I'm also swelling like crazy from the knees down, and nothing helps. I walk, drink water, keep my feet up, and wear compression hose, and it's barely tolerable.

I had a really great pregnancy for the first 35 weeks, so I really can't complain. I finally have motivation to push in a couple weeks, because I'm miserable. :haha:

I feel your pain!! Had it really bad with dd, so far just stiff hands when I wake up but am dreading it getting worse. They gave me splints last time which were sooooo awkward to wear.

Have you tried reflexology? When I have a preg massage she does it and it does help. Mine did go away very soon after birth last time so fingers crossed (if it's not too painful!!)
Xx

Ugh my god I hear ya! Its very annoying, it started off in my right hand and then I got it in my left hand. Like that I had a great pregnancy until that started. I wear supports now which help, I read some where that cabbage leaves wrapped around the wrists help draw fluid out have yet to try that tho!

You know, I have a head of cabbage in my fridge. It's worth a try! I wear splints to bed, and sometimes during the day when it's bad, but I still have a hard time even pulling on pants in the morning because I can hardly close my hands.

I also looked up some reflexology and massage techniques today. They don't seem to be helping much, I'll keep at it.

It's so frustrating that the best treatment is anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, which aren't allowed.

Is carpal tunnel common in pregnancy? I'd noticed mine has definitely been getting worse (I work one full-time desk job that involves a lot of typing, and one part-time desk job that is entirely typing) and it never occurred to me that it might be related to the pregnancy!

I know its frustrating when you know there are things out there to take but not allowed during pregnancy! My oh massages my both my wrists with bio oil that I get relief that way also. Mine seems to be improving I couldnt even hold a cup of tea a few weeks ago! Hope yours start to improve.

Dill - it is very common during pregnancy and repetitive movements like typing etc can aggravate it. And also if you are prone to these things prior to pregnancy they raise their ugly head during! Hope its not bad, try wearing splints at work for relief

I was definitely prone to it prior to pregnancy. Between a wrist injury, the two typing jobs, and a condition which affects my joints, I am screwed. Well, crap. Haha.

Star- Thanks. I'm glad yours has gotten better. I'll see if I can get my DH to help me massage my wrists and hands. It's hard to do myself when both hands hurt.

Dill- Yup, the same swelling that makes your ankles puffy and your nose stuffed up can put pressure on that nerve and cause carpal tunnel. According to Google, up to 25% of pregnant women are somewhat affected. I didn't have carpal tunnel or wrist issues before, but I certainly do now.

I seem to get the weird pregnancy symptoms, like persistent nosebleeds and carpal tunnel, and skip the common ones like morning sickness and backaches. I've always been contrary. :haha:

I'm just my usual trainwreck and seem to have almost everything, haha. Just grateful for the symptoms I DON'T have!

I have caroL tunnel (much milder than last pregnancy thankfully)....but mine went away after the birth last time if that gives you hope :)

Mrshopeful - thats a relief to hear. Its one of the most aggravating symptoms of pregnancy. Did it take long to fully clear up? Mine is no where near as bad as it was last month, I am hoping it continues that way and not flare up again.

I have been having a lot of hand pain too. it is so painful to even turn on the sink or open the door. I have a typing and writing job so it makes it even worse! What did everyone's OB advise you to do?

My nurse just said to drink more water, avoid salt, avoid hot weather (kinda hard in CA tho) and I'm seeing my OB tomorrow anyways! So hopefully she can help a little. I am supposed to have 2 more weeks of work left :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->