Re-using car seat with no.2

MrsNich

Reaction score
My DS is 3.5 we bought his first car seat 4 years ago, a maxi cosi cabriofix. It has been stored in our attic with the seat covers stored in a plastic box, since we stopped using it. Would you reuse for No.2? I know its never been in an accident and it should be within expiry date as we purchased 4 years ago. I'm just feeling guilty as this baby doesn't seem to be having much new.

Yes, if it is in good condition I would certainly use it. My baby will be going into her brothers car seat.

I used the same car seat for my two and there's two and a half years between them. I felt bad about my youngest bit having much new so I made sure he had new clothes, bedding, his own special blanket and his own teddy

As long as it's within expiry date and hasn't been in an accident it should be perfectly fine to use

We're planning to do the same as it's within the expiry date too. x

I'm reusing the car seats, pram etc as the way I see it I bought good quality ones first time round and I know they are all safely stored, no accidents, not expired etc. this new baby will have other new things, but I'm pretty sure they won't remember sitting in a car seat, so don't feel guilty! :)

i reused whatever i could, hoping to reuse next car seat up from the first for this baby too. x

Never knew they had expiry dates?!

We will be buying the first stage cars seat as we sold our last one. But dd2 is in dd1s second stage car seat. Nothing wrong with reusing baby things where you can.

Our baby car seat is 4 years old, and has been used by 3 children already. The only issue with using a used carseat is when its not your own, because then you couldn't be sure that it hadn't been in an accident.

Oh yes! I reuse everything I can. Being able to reuse pricey things like a car seat also means I have more money for a few new things.

Just a question though - why do people feel guilty about not buying a whole bunch of new stuff for subsequent babies? The babies/toddlers don't know or care, the stuff is usually still in excellent condition, and it's so much less waste. Personally I think reusing stuff is fabulous! My daughter is 2 and still wearing all her big brother's clothes - so apart from MIL buying her some pink stuff here and there, I haven't had to spend a thing! I love it!

I would definitely reuse it! You know its history, so it's probably safer than any other used seat. We used our Maxi Cosi for 3 kids (within 4 years :dohh:) but had to finally buy a new one for this LO. If it wasn't expired, I'd use it a 4th time!

i would definatley reuse so long as its within the expiry date, if i hadnt of sold mine i would be re using, im reusing alot of other stuff for this baby, cotbed(new mattress though) bouncy chair pram pushchair playmat toys some of the neutral baby clothes i had kept! x

The only reason I am not using our old one is because I know a lot more about carseats than I did before and I don't like how our old one was only 3 point harness, otherwise as long as it's not expired, it is great to re-use things and not waste them!

If you are really worried about not having much new for this lo (My twin sister has a older boy and girl, so a LOT of our things are pre-used, but I love being able to save money for other things I might not have been able to easily afford, like an organic mattress!) just save the money you wouldn't have spent on a car seat and use it for other things, like new clothes, blankets, toys, etc. :)

I had nooooo idea car seats have expiry dates on them. I was planning on re using our seat, I must google it!!!!!

Expiry dates?! :shrug: They are just polysterene, how can they go off!? lolol I had no idea! we have 8 car seats in all, with various agre ranges for ours, and Grandparents cars, no way am I buying all new again! :flower:

My car seats have an 8 or 10 year expiry date, so you can reuse them for years provided that you don't get in an accident. It's not like they expire after a year or 2. After that long there is a chance that some of the fabric and attachments will start wearing out - especially if it has been used continually over that much time.

In the US most companies post an expiration date right on the sticker on the seat, but if it's not posted it's law to post a manufacture date. Most seats are good for 5-6 years AFTER the manufacture date. That's an estimation, since some brands are made to last longer. What happens is that the plastic starts to break down and lose its strength, especially when exposed to extreme weather, like a cold garage or a hot car. If it's been stored in a bedroom or attic for years it's much more likely fine, but I figure better safe than sorry!

The number one thing I'd do is google the make and model to make sure there have been no recalls. While usually minor, they'll fix or replace the seat for free!! :D

We have to get a new infant seat, but I'm planning on using my daughters Recaro seats when baby is two. Then my oldest will be 9. I told her she has to stay in her 5 point until then, she seemed happy with that.

I know a lot of parents who have kids her age just using the car belts, but my husband was an accident reconstructions, and I want her in a 5 point as long as possible. Lol. Her seat can be 5 point until 90 pounds... But I don't think I will make her go to middle school in one....

I will be using the same car seat. My daughter will be nearly 21 months when baby is due and it's still like new now.

I will also be using the moses basket for the 5th time, but it will actually be used 6 times as my brother is close in age with my oldest daughter and he used it too :)

Anything that can be used again, I will. I don't see the need in buying everything over again if it's still in good condition. With each baby I've bought less and less.

I will have to buy a new pushchair as I will need a double. I'll be keeping a spare stroller (I only bought my daughters new one last month, which is unisex) if I only have to take one baby out at a time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->