really want to bf my last but..

BethHx

expecting #2
Reaction score
I find it so difficult! Im just not a natural. I struggle with latch, positioning, I get thrush and mastisis every time.
I dont want too start my journey on a negative but I just wish I was natiral bf!

Well if you'd like to give it a go again with this one then I'd suggest before it arrives you:
- find a local BF group ready for you to attend within first few days after birth to ensure latch is correct
- get Lansinoh ointment (free on prescription in UK). I did this with second as explained to my doc how sore I got with first and that I wanted to ensure I could minimise soreness asap with second from day one. Turned out I didn't need it much but it boosted me to know it was there. It's the only one you don't need to rub off before LO feeds so it reduces friction and lends and cracks
- for thrush have a look now at what natural vitamins or changes you can make to minimise chances of getting it again. Airing boobs to dry out moisture and changing breastpads as soon as they're slightly damp are key as well as supplements or diet changes to make body less of a good host for it
- sadly for mastitis I appreciate that's not as easy to address/prevent however there are things you can do like ensuring between feeds you massage breasts with warm flannel to maintain flow and reduce blockages.

The 'Kelly mom' website is good for tips as a starting point amongst others

I don't think anyone is a natural breastfeeder. Some just have more/less to contend with. While every baby is different some genetic factors will remain the same, for example:
Tongue tie - if present in one, can be present in all your babies as there seems to be a genetic factor. This may explain latch issues and mastitis.
Your breasts - while your baby may be different your breasts aren't and it may be that your breasts produce a lot of milk quickly. This too can lead to latch issues, cause more leaking (and therefore more opportunity for Thrush to flourish) and mastitis if your baby only drinks a fraction of what you produce.
I agree it would be a good idea to talk to breastfeeding counsellors/support groups now and explain what has happened in the past. You may be able to stop some of the issues you have had from even rearing their head this time! Good luck.

I definitely wasn't a natural either but we managed to make it work. I almost don't believe people that say they enjoyed it, found it easy, etc. I hated every minute of breastfeeding but did it for my daughter because I knew it was best for her. I never understood the "fun for me" part of it. :shrug:

I have no experience with mastitis and feel for you on that. :( Here's how I made it work (with my equally negative attitude).

-I took a BF class at my hospital and saved the materials. The class hooked me up with a lactation consultant before my daughter was even born and provided me with materials that I could re-visit when things got tough.

-I prepared myself for the fact that it would be hard and reminded myself of that every time I got frustrated. I would tell myself that I knew it was going to be hard and that whatever I was going through was only part of the battle.

-I nursed often! I nursed every 2 hours (from start of a session so in reality there was only 1:30 between sessions) until my milk came in to ensure a good supply then went to every 3 hours for the first month. This was the advice of my lactation consultant to best avoid supply problems and it worked. I never made too much, but always made just enough so I can see how I would not have made enough had I not nursed as often out the gate.

-I set small goals.. first three months, then six, then a year, then until I could get my daughter to drink cows milk haha. The last three (12-15) months were her choice, not mine.

Good luck!!!!! Although I didn't enjoy a minute of it (and refuse to believe I'm in the minority) I take pride in each month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->