Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

I'd definitely try before you buy if you can, especially if your seats are slopey! It might be worth also trying the non-isofix version of the X3 too. Our seats are really sloped which means that even when the X3 is fully reclined it's still very upright. I've had our 6 month old in it once when she was awake and it was great but I'm not sure if it would be ok if she fell asleep and her head flopped. Her 2 year old sister's head does tend to fall forward. With the non-isofix version though, you can adjust the angle of the seat a bit more (and I've checked with Besafe that this is safe - they said "It can be safe to tilt the beltfix version using soft materials such as folded towels.") and I think you can have the seat a little closer to the seat it's resting on, leaving a bit more room in front. I think we'll get the non-isofix version for behind the driver's seat of our Golf.

You could try phoning or e-mailing the likes of Hakan at carseat.se or the guys at the Milton Keynes In Car Safety Centre. I know that carseat.se quite often have photos of how carseats look/fit in certain cars - they might be able to advise you on what would fit best in a Focus.

Hey ladies - I'm hoping to be purchasing a Besafe Izi Combi X3 for madam soon. She's not 7 months yet, and only 7.5kg but after a mishap in which my mother broke out infant seat we're having to look into it sooner rather than later.

I can't afford or get over to our stockist at the moment - am hoping it will be okay in my ford focus!

I've got a multi tech in a focus estate and leg room in the front passenger side isn't great but ok for vertically challenged people like me (5'4"). The MT is only for over 9kg though. Check this for other focus users https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/550884-erf-seat-your-car.html

Does anyone have the Maxi Cosi Mobi? Is it easy to fit? Thanks

That's very interesting. Never thought about extending rear facing but it makes sense if you can get away with it with the kids. Would you describe yourself as more cautious than the average person?

That's very interesting. Never thought about extending rear facing but it makes sense if you can get away with it with the kids. Would you describe yourself as more cautious than the average person?

I personally wouldnt say im more cautious than the 'average' person, infact quite the opposite. Im extremely laid back actually lol

I'm not particularly cautious either. It's just that I have read a lot about this topic and the evidence is so overwhelmingly in favour of ERF that, to me, FF is too much of a risk. I wouldn't have known about ERF if I hadn't seen about it first on here, I think a lot of people don't know it exists and that's probably why FF is so widespread. I'd liken it to in the 70s when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt at all and infant car seats were rare. I guess you could have asked the same of people who chose to wear seatbelts anyway, "You choose to wear a seatbelt, is that because you're more cautious than the average person?". Now, looking back we can say no, actually the people who didn't wear seatbelts were taking unnecessary risks.

I'm not particularly cautious either. It's just that I have read a lot about this topic and the evidence is so overwhelmingly in favour of ERF that, to me, FF is too much of a risk. I wouldn't have known about ERF if I hadn't seen about it first on here, I think a lot of people don't know it exists and that's probably why FF is so widespread. I'd liken it to in the 70s when you didn't have to wear a seatbelt at all and infant car seats were rare. I guess you could have asked the same of people who chose to wear seatbelts anyway, "You choose to wear a seatbelt, is that because you're more cautious than the average person?". Now, looking back we can say no, actually the people who didn't wear seatbelts were taking unnecessary risks.

Couldn't agree more, well worded! x

So please today while loading up are car at asda a lady with her family came up to me and asked me about my LO's car seat and where we got it from, she said she though they were fantastic and said how comfy my lo looked in it also that she's struggling to find any. Felt so please that she was asking me about it :D

Just thought i'd share x

I'm hoping to resurrect this thread if possible, with a few questions from you helpful ladies! I posted a thread a while ago about ERF in my 3 door KA and got some replies suggesting I ring in car safety in milton keynes. I haven't done that yet 1) I was considering changing my car 2) LO still looked pretty comfy in his first seat. But now hubby thinks he looks squashed! His head isn't above the top but I don't think it'll be too long. I like the look of the maxi cosi mobi as it's a familiar brand and I believe the weight limit is a bit higher, so being an expensive time that's always good (Hubby and I will get 2 so we're not having to swap them all the time). I've read it is perfectly safe to have him in the front seat but I must admit it makes me feel a bit uncomfertable. TBH i think that's the only way I'm going to do ERF though, none of the seats I've looked at are safe in the back. I did look at britax first class plus but the combi seats seem to get a bad review as they're compromising on safety both RF and FF??? arghh it's such a hard choice!!! does anyone have any views on either RF in the front seat or the maxi cosi mobi in particular??? BTW hubbies seat doesn't need to go in the front seat as he has a nice big VW golf so if you think another seat might be good for him then feel free to suggest! thanks if you've got to the end of that waffle it's all very confusing TBH

Golfs are (according to Hakan at carseat.se) a good car for ERF seats :) In ours, we have a BeSafe Izi Combi X3 isofix which is great but quite big. You can still get a passenger in the front seat but they'd be a bit squashed if they had shopping by their feet or if they were tall. Our other seat is behind the driver's seat and is the same size as an infant seat, a Klippan Triofix but this doesn't recline so isn't suitable for a younger child.

If you can I would go to somewhere with both cars and try the seats out. They're very different from baby seats (which will fit in most cars as they're all pretty similar) - ERF seats vary wildly and the fit is so important that I think it's worth getting them fitted properly if you can.

I don't think I would get one like the Britax First Class Plus now as it doesn't RF for all that long. If it is the only car seat that would fit then I probably would but otherwise I'd get on that rear faces longer. My slim 3 year old is around 13kg so would have to FF in it (she wouldn't fit in it anyway) but she has years left in her ERF seat.

Seeing as Rachel mentioned the Klippan TrioFix, I thought I should chip in that they do another seat called the Kiss 2, which is also sold as a Graco DuoLogic. Rear-faces birth-18kg, fits either with a belt OR isofix, the infant seat can be used on the base or fitted with a belt without it, and has wheels ;) It has 3 recline positions. My eldest girl was nowhere near out-growing it age 3 (albeit she is a small child) and my littlest is very happy and comfy in it now. That might be an option, as it's also one of the most compact seats on the market. It's also super easy to move from car to car, as it doesn't need any tether straps or anything.

As for putting them in the front, this is only doable if you can turn off the airbags. We've done it a few times, most notably recently when we did a long journey down south. We put Midgelet in her DuoLogic in the front seat (airbags off) and Roo was in the back. It meant that whoever wasn't driving was available to pass things (snacks, toys, drinks etc) to Roo, and play with her/keep her amused on the long drive, without having to constatnly twist round from the passenger seat. And Midgelet pretty much slept the whole way, so she wasn't much of a distraction.

In practical terms, it didn't cause us any bother. I didn't find it any more distracting having her in the front seat than in the back. I have mirrors up when she is in the back which I check as frequently as I check my rear-view mirror anyway. All I did was sweep my eyes over her as I did a mirror check. I wasn't worried about her safety - if you have a read of some of the info on carseat.se they have a few great pages on why front-seat travel in a rear-facing seat is safe.

I agree with Rachel about the First Class Plus (or any combi seat at this point). You probably wouldn't get enough use out of it compared to how long an ERF seat would last to make it worth buying unless it was the only option.

Regarding the Mobi, I've never used one, but I think it's elli21 (?) on here who has one she got from the Glasgow Pram Centre, and as far as I know she is very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->