Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Thanks all. Couldnt get down to In Car Safety Centre (it's 2.5hrs away, not enough petrol money) but they were very helpful on the phone.

We went for the two way elite in the end. Just as well as its the more compact seat of the two, and passenger seat is quite far forward with it installed - not much leg room for my OH (he can't drive so is always the passenger). Still, he'll survive. But the Besafe would probably have left even less room in front.

Installed at the 40degree angle, it looks fine for my LO. Not yet gone for a drive but I think he will be comfy enough.

So happy that LO is going to be rear facing for a long while yet!

Also, any recommendations for toys or activity mat type things that hang off the back seat headrest? Google bringing up a few options for babies, but wondered if there is something better suited for a toddler?

Hi Ladies,

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me choose an ERF seat for my LO. He's nearly 15 months and has just reached the top of his baby car seat. We have an Audi A4 estate so I'm hoping space in the back isn't an issue. I want something that can be ERF for as long as possible, is comfortable and has a good amount of leg room for LO. I would rather something under £250 but if we need to spend more to get what we want then we will. To be honest I'd happily spend whatever it costs but I don't want to blow DH's head off with a starting mark of £350 LOL.

So far I like these -

https://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk...ucts_id/196?osCsid=j9pn6v870d9o26vobqj5f81n46

https://www.securatot.co.uk/besafe-izi-combi-isofix?category_id=61

I like the look of the Mobi but am very tempted by the Besafe because of the Isofix aspect... although I don't really know how that works, anyone?

x

All Isofix does is remove the "human error" risk factor of seat installation. To a point it makes it easier to transfer the seat between cars (if that's something you'd need to do), and it's certainly easier to install in general - just a "click click" instead of routing belts etc. However, a belted seat (installed properly) is just as safe. And if you're not planning on moving the seat often (if at all) then you'd probably not really notice the difference after it was in place.

Hope that helps a bit!

Will be taking delivery of the Britax hi-way II tomorrow - can't wait - my lo is starting to look extremely cramped in his infant carrier.

I had to order this on-line (after advice from carseat.se and the in-car safety centre) as I do not live near any erf stockists. Has anyone fitted this car seat themselves? Is it easy to do? I guess I'm a little apprehensive about getting it right and would feel so much better if an experienced erf fitter was able to do it for me.

i fitted the hi way myself :) theres some good videos on install on youtube.

Great - thanks. How do you find the seat? I got myself in a right tizz choosing between that and the multitech and TWE.

I fitted it myself too :) in the back of a 3dr car!!! I got very stressed! but im trying to find a new car (5doors) and went and fitted it into a 5door car and its much much easier with space to move around it! but all in all its fairly easy to fit yourself. I looked it up on youtube and then used the instructions too xx

Hi,

I've not been on here for a while, well since deciding which carseat to choose for when my LO turned 1! And I have to admit that I haven't read any posts on here for a while :blush:

But.... I came across this website this evening which I thought people might find interesting x

https://www.carseatinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?sid=19086&pid=947208

Thanks for that, it's an interesting read.

I always find it very frustrating that these 'experts' who are against ERF, or who don't fully support it, don't seem to realise something very simple - RF for infants (babies under 9 months) is totally accepted as being the only way to travel because it is safer. Nobody questions it, it's a fact and that's why it's law. Why then does that suddenly change when a child gets to 10 months or 14kg? It doesn't! The chances of each type of impact are still the same. The forces involved are still the same. The only thing that changes is that the child's neck and spine gradually gets stronger as they get older. Somebody decided once upon a time that the risk of FF was acceptable at X weight/age because a baby's neck is stronger then, and more likely to be able to stand the increased forces in an accident compared to RF. It's not that FF suddenly becomes the safer option. RF is and always will be safer, it's just that people think the risks are more acceptable for an older child. Madness and stupidity!

'Rear facing is great if that is what the customer is desperate for'
Err thanks for that, what a considered and informative thing to say!

But yeah, an interesting read, basically I just agree with what Rachel said.

I'd love to ask them what they think about RF for young babies - do they think that's wrong too? Either RF is safer or it isn't, there's no switch that flicks at 10 months.

I was quite interested in what the 1st guy was saying, about different impacts.... but I never really thought about what you guys are saying, that RF is normal and considered the only option for newborns so it's odd that it suddenly changes and people's opinions/perceptions change as soon as a LO reaches 9months!

I thought it was quite a cheap shot mentioning the M5 crash. Horrible as it was, these kind of accidents are (mercifully) rare. It's *much* more common for impacts to be frontal - especially high speed ones. If a rear shunt is severe enough to impact on the child in the rear seat, then I can't see that the plastic back of a FF seat is going to do a great deal of good in terms of protection? And what the RF seat is protecting is the neck/spine, as it's not being thrown forward. A rear shunt wouldn't emulate those kind of forces - if I understand my physics correctly, then the only way to emulate the effects of a frontal crash on a FF child would be to reverse a car into something at high speeds with a child RF. Again, I don't think that happens all too often.

I also hate how people bang on about how the ERF seats are hard to fit. How are they difficult, exactly? Is it the tether straps? They are a footer, but not horrendously difficult. I'm not sure I buy into that guy's assertion that FF seats are easier to fit, ergo safer - if someone isn't going to take the time to read a manual to make sure the seat is fitted properly, it doesn't matter if it's FF or RF :shrug: Also, perhaps if ERF was more common, then there would be more places to get seats fitted professionally to start with :dohh:

That page managed to rile me up, and I wouldn't say I'm particularly strongly opinionated about ERF, not anymore :dohh: I do it because it works for us, I'm happy to advise others on it, but I feel that each family has to assess what option is best for them when it comes to FF or not. For all that the site was saying it was being "balanced", I actually think it doesn't do either FF or ERF any favours :shrug:

Don't know whether it's just my seat (Multi tech) but there are just as many steps to installing it FF as RF...not done it but it certainly is that way from reading the manual.

I'm sure that site has p'd me off before...... Was that the one that used to have an article on ERF and ended with a pros and cons list that had points like 'ERF seats are heavier' (how often are you carrying it over long distances?!) 'ERF are bulkier' 'Children may not like facing backwards'

I thought it was a totally biased comparison, and read as a thinly veiled dig. This seems slightly better than that one, but still totally agree with Rachel/Claire/Eala

anybody seen the new Britax max-way??? It seems to of replaced the Hi-way on carseat.se xxx

Hey ladies - I'm hoping to be purchasing a Besafe Izi Combi X3 for madam soon. She's not 7 months yet, and only 7.5kg but after a mishap in which my mother broke out infant seat we're having to look into it sooner rather than later.

I can't afford or get over to our stockist at the moment - am hoping it will be okay in my ford focus!

Hey batty Nora, I've got a ford focus too what a bloody nightmare they are to get car seats for. Family car yeah right.

I've heard there's not much leg room in the front with a besafe so make sure you try before you buy.

Also our seats are raked (angled) so we need to watch the seat recline.

We're going to drive down to the big shop at milton Keynes to try out a few a week on Saturday. Our seven week old is already 6.75kg so god knows how soon he'll grow out of his infant seat, probably next week lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->