• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

I bought Freya a mirror for Christmas, but it's a baby friendly one, lol, so I can just about see her but she looks all warped because it's plastic! :lol: I have never been able to find one that I find just right.

Lovely pics, they look gorgeous as ever!

I have some questions, my seat says it is RF up to 28lbs ish, but suitable FF up to 40lbs, why can't I use it RF past 28lbs, is it because of leg room, or general weight when facing that way, I'm a bit confused as if it's suitable for a child of 40lbs I want to use it RF for that long.

Also, we just got a new car and for the past 2/3 weeks Freya has had to be FF in her new carseat as our stupid 3 door coupe had unsuitable back seats for it to be RF. When I get the car back from the garage today I am going to switch it to RF. But, do you think Freya will be bothered? I am worried she has got used to FF (she's not even the right weight yet at about 17lbs, but it was only temporary) and won't take kindly to staring at the back of the seat again! I guess I will just have to make it nicer for her somehow.

So, what do you do to keep them entertained on long journeys when they are RF? I too feel I have got used to being able to pass Freya things these last couple of weeks and it was very nice being able to see her so easily etc etc. I am going to RF her again though, as it is def safer.

:)

The reason the weight limits are different forward to rear facing it all based on crash testing, so never use it past it's weight limits, it could end up being even worse. Like our new one RF to 45lbs but FF to 80lbs. Height limits aren't set in stone because some kids have longer torsos, some have longer legs so that is just an estimate. Here the rule is for RF they have to have an inch of shell above their head to still be in the limits of height for RF :) But weight limits are set in stone, never go past those RF or FF.

Hayden did go forward facing for about a month or so, that was months ago, because the seats we had didn't fit with him being RF in our car. When we switched him back he was happier, he is more comfy that way. I've had a few friends that have switched their toddlers back and never had an issue with it. For long trips we pack some soft toys, make sure we have extra pacis because he likes to drop them in the hole between his and his brothers seat, which we can't reach lol. But really we've made 14hr trips and it hasn't ever been more of an issue having him RF for that vs FF

Hey girls, I've been waiting for a thread like this for a while. Just looking for some advice about buying one of the rear facing seats in UK.

MO3, lovely pics, you should be so proud of your boys.

I've tried having a look, but I have no idea what I'm looking at and it's like a proper minefield out there!!

We don't drive, so I really want the safest option for her travelling as possible, because I don't really trust a lot of peoples (well one person inparticulars) driving very much, but when we need to get food shopping and go to the hospital etc etc sometimes I have to give in and travel in the car this person. So for that reason it has to be one you can attach with a seatbeltt and not a base type thingy.

I really don't care how much it costs, but it has to be safe and fixable with a seatbelt.

Any ideas would be very much apprechiated xxx

Since I'm not in the UK I don't have personal experience with any of your seat options...but I've heard wonderful things about the Britax Multi Tech...it's one in Sweden but I'm pretty sure someone said it's legal for yall to use too, passes the same tests? But it RF to 55lbs, has lots of leg room, overall great seat. I've also heard good things about the Britax Hi-way and First Class...the First Class would be easier for you to get ahold of and less espensive but it only RF to 29lbs but from what I've seen that's one of the highest limits that would be easily available to you

Thanks for posting this - your boys are so cute and look very happy in their seats!

I'd be grateful if you could please post any links you have to statistics about FF vs RF cos I think I'll have a battle on my hands when it comes to OH and convincing him to keep Leyla RF for as long as poss. If I get him something to read though, he's more likely to agree. Otherwise, I'd better start nagging NOW while Leyla is still tiny... I'll have a good few months of whining at him to get him to give in!!!

That video is a good one here is another link

https://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

And more videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKm7SenDHU&feature=player_embedded

I have more links to information too if you're interested in more :thumbup:

Laura this is the only one i have found so far in the UK but seems really good to me and we will probs be getting it......https://www.bumpto3.com/safety/In_Car_Safety/izi_combi_rearward_facing_group_0_1

Kirsten, have you thought about using a babysafe mirror when she goes RF?

sara

xxxxxxx

Because she was RF up until 3 weeks ago I had a rear view mirror stuck to the back window so I could see her face, it's in the old car though, so I will have to get a new one! (It was properly stuck on, couldn't get it off, lol).

Be careful when you get a new one, make sure there is nothing at all hard on it at all. Some techs would recommend not using one at all, some say it's ok as long as they are padded and nothing sharp, hard at all cause they could come face to face with that in a wreck

Gorgeous pics of your boys and what a great deal on the car seat!! I was trying to get a convertible seat that would last Emma for as long as possible RFing but it seems like all the seats here are made for mums with minivans and we had a terrible time getting one that fit our backseat. We finally found one but it's only good up to 30 lbs RF- anyway, we'll be keeping her RF until she hits 30lbs for sure. Thanks for all the great info you've posted about RF in the past- something many of us probably didn't think much about before.

Gorgeous pics of your boys and what a great deal on the car seat!! I was trying to get a convertible seat that would last Emma for as long as possible RFing but it seems like all the seats here are made for mums with minivans and we had a terrible time getting one that fit our backseat. We finally found one but it's only good up to 30 lbs RF- anyway, we'll be keeping her RF until she hits 30lbs for sure. Thanks for all the great info you've posted about RF in the past- something many of us probably didn't think much about before.

It does seem like alot of them are really big in the store but we've actually never had a problem getting ours to fit, we just have a car too :) That's great you found one that will work!!

And thanks :)

We were so excited about buying a convertible seat with a nice high weight limit and it was on sale. When we got home and actually tried to install it rear facing, even with the front seat all the way forward, we weren't able to get the proper angle on the seat. So frustrating! Even with the seat we finally bought, long car rides are going to be a tad uncomfortable for the passenger since the seat still needs to be pretty far forward (and both myself and hubby are tall). Oh well, at least it fits! :)

Jeez really? We've sometimes had to move the seat up a bit but never too much. I guess we have a bigger car, it's not a compact car. What seat did you end up getting?

Laura this is the only one i have found so far in the UK but seems really good to me and we will probs be getting it......https://www.bumpto3.com/safety/In_Car_Safety/izi_combi_rearward_facing_group_0_1

Kirsten, have you thought about using a babysafe mirror when she goes RF?

sara

xxxxxxx

Because she was RF up until 3 weeks ago I had a rear view mirror stuck to the back window so I could see her face, it's in the old car though, so I will have to get a new one! (It was properly stuck on, couldn't get it off, lol).

Be careful when you get a new one, make sure there is nothing at all hard on it at all. Some techs would recommend not using one at all, some say it's ok as long as they are padded and nothing sharp, hard at all cause they could come face to face with that in a wreck

The one I have now is padded, it attaches to the back seat. It's meant to go in babies cots for them to play with so I'm sure it's safe. The one I had before was really far away from her, stuck to the back window, there was no chance it could have hurt her in a crash :)

Thanks for info :)

Oh ok, the ones here attach to the seat right behind them, that's cool you found one that attaches to the window, I'd love something like that

Nice photos :). I may not have children yet, but even the German AA (car club) strongly recommends them , so when it is my time I surely take those :D

for those who have small cars can see there as well that it can fit nicely :D
(in english)
https://www.carseat.se/

By the way, sweden has a very low Accident mortality rate the lowest in Europe because they have been rear facing for 40 years :D

Yes that link is another GREAT resource for information on RF, I don't know why I didn't post that too lol. Thanks Morri :)

Jeez really? We've sometimes had to move the seat up a bit but never too much. I guess we have a bigger car, it's not a compact car. What seat did you end up getting?

We ended up getting an Evenflo seat (the Triumph, I think). Our car is a compact and the lady at Babies r Us told me flat out after we returned the first seat that they don't carry any seats that fit the Pontiac Sunfire. Pretty stupid of them, imo. Anyway, after some searching, we finally bought the Evenflo one at Walmart- I guess around here, people with small, cheap cars have to buy their car seats at cheap stores like Walmart :haha:

Hey I bought that seat in the pics...the one my oldest is sitting in at Walmart :) We had an Evenflo Triumph when Landon was little, used it for Casen for awhile too, I loved it...but it's expired now so we had to get rid of it

lol, don't get me wrong, I have a renewed appreciation of Walmart after the car seat drama :) Now Babies R Us on the other hand... ;)

Good to hear someone else has used the seat and liked it though. Emma likes having a "big girl" seat- she's tall and outgrew the infant seat way too fast!

Oh wow just noticed her age! She did outgrow it quick huh? Glad you found one she likes :D The boys were so comfy in it, I loved the knobs on the side to adjust the harness

Yep, she's a weed- just the wrong mix of tall and chubby so the straps aren't long enough if she's in a thicker fluffy bum or wearing more than just a cotton knit sleeper. I love the knobs on the side too! I like the colour of your new seat though- reminds me of a race car :)

Beth, your boys looks so happy and handsome!

I saw this post, immediately ran out to my front step, and found mine sitting there!!!!!! :yipee: Going to open it and put Otter in it now! WOO HOO!!! :wohoo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->