Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

you can get erf seats in the UK but you do have to buy from one of a few stockists or order from sweden, Volvo have done the britax multi tech with a volvo badge on it for about £150 less than what is avalible from britax so if it fitted then its a good bargin for a erf seat.
do make sure whatever seat you buy fits your car first though lol

Fab pics and yay for ERF!! :dance:

I though I'd share a pic too ;)
https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/SK1PP3R_01/e4e2d697.jpg

UK stockists are listed here - https://www.rearfacing.co.uk/buyersguide.php and also Volvo dealers do the Britax Multi-tech with a Volvo badge on it for a lot less than the Britax one. You don't have to have a Volvo to order it from them.

I enquired in Halfords about one (only place we have around here!) and they said that they are dangerous after a certain weight, and that its only a couple of countries that supply them for older children, and that we can't get them here. What are the age restrictions on those ones? and why? Thank you!

I enquired in Halfords about one (only place we have around here!) and they said that they are dangerous after a certain weight, and that its only a couple of countries that supply them for older children, and that we can't get them here. What are the age restrictions on those ones? and why? Thank you!

You can get rear-facing ones that go up to about age 4 (average sized child).... but you can't get them in Halfords.

Halfords and a lot of baby shops only have infant carriers that go rear-facing and they are only safe up to 15kg approx (so roughly 12 months give or take.) They're right you shouldn't use your infant carrier seat above the weight limit, but they've missed the point of what you were looking for I think!

I can't resist posting this piccie of Oliver in his Besafe Izi :)

I keep meaning to take proper pics to show our two ERF seats in the cars . . . I promise I will but I'll have to post this one for now :haha:

Attachments

• IMG00501-20110212-1536.jpg
    IMG00501-20110212-1536.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
Pickles, if you import you can get them up until 6 years old! The costs are pretty reasonable as well actually. Go on careseat.se there is loads of information on there, also if you email them they will tell you which seats are compatible with your car. I have a small car and found them very useful!

Have you thought about using the front seat? When the passanger seat airbags are disabled and a child is rf this is just as safe, some think even more so due the the safety in the car, its just not what we 'do' in the UK. There are a few articles out there on this if you wanted to read up xx

Love all the pics of your LOs rear facing! And people say its uncomfy for them :haha:

^lovely photo, oliver looks very comfy :)

The other day i could hear her laughing and when i looked in my mirror i could see some young lad behind us waving at her and she was waving back out the rear window!!!!:dohh:

A couple of my LO in her besafe izi.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/dirrtynasty/IMAG0125.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/dirrtynasty/IMAG0123.jpg

Hi :wave: loving the cute pics!
So we got a Britax first class plus in mothercare (on sale for £100 :thumbup:) and they fitted it for us. Trouble is ... we only have a 2 door car so it was pretty awkward, but its in. K seems very comfy in it but it is a total nightmare to get him in and out of it. Does anyone have RF in a 2 door car with a toddler? I really need some tips on how to get him in and out easier, currently I have to hold him, hold the front seat forward, climb in holding him and kind of throw him across into his seat, then reverse the process on the way out. I'm scared of falling whilst climbing in/out of the car with him. Help :flower:

My parents got a combi seat from Argos too which was about £50 and it looks pretty similar! They have a 4 door though so can easily get him in and out ....

Hi :wave: loving the cute pics!
So we got a Britax first class plus in mothercare (on sale for £100 :thumbup:) and they fitted it for us. Trouble is ... we only have a 2 door car so it was pretty awkward, but its in. K seems very comfy in it but it is a total nightmare to get him in and out of it. Does anyone have RF in a 2 door car with a toddler? I really need some tips on how to get him in and out easier, currently I have to hold him, hold the front seat forward, climb in holding him and kind of throw him across into his seat, then reverse the process on the way out. I'm scared of falling whilst climbing in/out of the car with him. Help :flower:

My parents got a combi seat from Argos too which was about £50 and it looks pretty similar! They have a 4 door though so can easily get him in and out ....

Looking at his age, could you start teaching him to climb into the back himself? Obviously I don't mean just tell him to get in the car and that's it, but you could pull the front seat forward and then put him in the footwell standing up. He might be able to climb onto the seat and then you could sit in there beside him, or he might just stay standing in the footwell but at least you'd then have your hands free to get yourself in, then just put him in the seat as you do. If it's cold, I tend to get in the back with LO (not a 2 door car but I like to get inside quickly!) and then put her in her seat while I sit next to her. It gets easier with practise!

The other thing I would consider is whether you could put the seat in the front passenger seat instead with the airbag turned off. That would depend on how you use the car most though, like if it's just you and LO using it a lot of the time, that could be good but if both adults use it a lot and both insist on being in the front, that wouldn't work.

Awww shes so cute! We have the BeSafe in my Freelander and Oliver spends the whole time he's in there either asleep or looking about - I love the the seat position as they can see soooo much! in our other car we have the Mobi, which doesn't give the same height - Oliver always gets excited to go in the BeSafe and have a good nosy at everyone :haha:

Im going to be doing ERF until I feel LO is big enough to be forward facing, so around 2yrs I think (maybe longer). Im looking at getting her a new car seat around easter and just wondered which one you all recommend? :flower:

Shes 6kg, so not heavy and shes still small in length (we still have the headhugger in the infant car seat and her feet don't reach the end lol). She would fit in her carseat for ages yet but as Ive got money coming in at easter Id rather invest while I can. I really dont want to spend above £150 but if it gets enough :thumbup: then I could be swayed lol.

aww shes itty bitty hun, you might find shes a bit swamped in some of the larger ERF seats

I did wonder about buying it and then just using it once I think she fits nicely. Ive had a look at the britax first class and I dont think she'd be comfy in the newborn bit but possibly too small without it.

If you don't need it yet, I would really wait because you never know what might happen with prices or what new seats might come out. I don't know if you saw that Volvo have taken a Britax seat (the multi-tech) and put their own logo on it then reduced the price by loads? I think they're the first car manufacturer to do that but others might follow suit. If you buy now, you could miss out on something great, not to mention any safety improvements that might happen. I'd just put the money in a savings account until you need the seat.

Keep her in the infant carrier as long as it's safe as they are the safest type! Maybe put the money away somewhere for a few months time? Xx

yeah put it in an ISA for now hun keep it safe and then invest when you need it, so lucky shes still in an infant carrier caus EJ was out of his by 4 months

I haven't had chance to read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been asked. Is there any way I can get one of these car seats in the UK? DD is 14 months old, and still RF. Pretty sure we have a couple of months left RF but am worried about getting a new FF car seat. I have a 3 door car (gah!) but am searching for a new 4 door car, once I have managed to sell mine. (3 door fiesta and 2 kids, plus OH isn't really ideal!) DD has to go in the front seat in her RF as it just will not go in the back. I hate this, although I make sure she is very safe, I still don't like it.

Would be fab if these were available in the UK!

I got mine from snowflakes website, very helpful site :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->