Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Just a question about ERF in the front of cars. I went to my nearest stockist to try a multi tec and the guy was incredibly helpful. We were going through all the possibilities and I asked if I could fit the seat in the front if I disabled the airbag. He told me that it still isn't recommended as sometimes the airbags can still deploy in an accident even if switched off. It worried me slightly as I assumed switching off an airbag made it safe and i hadn't heard that before. He also said any child (that needs a seat/booster) should not be in a front seat with an airbag because the force of the airbag is too much for a child in the case of an accident.

Does anyone have any links to research about child seats in the front of a car? I always prefer to do my own reading than to take what someone else says as gospel.

:happydance: I ordered my volvo multi tec and it should be here next week.

Last thing, I've just read somewhere this evening that the volvo seats come out at about £127 because the VAT on children's products is 5%. I will be calling my volvo dealer tomorrow to check this out.

We went to our most local dealer who had both in stock yesterday and explained why we were looking so early (she's just turned 4 months) and the most helpful guy said that out of the Britax multitech and the Besafe (which is the one I was leaning towards actually) that the multitech will last her longer rear facing. He couldn't believe she was only 4 months, and because she's meant to hit the 18kg at 2.5 years if she keeps on her line (99.6) and is tall then the Multitech will last longer.

Does this match what everyone else has found?

We asked him to try it in the car, can he did, as I was worried about it not being reclined enough for her as she's till so young (although always pulls her head up in her current seat nd gets frustrated she's laying back so much) and she sat in it like she owned it :haha: However, she has about another inch to grow in the body before she can go in it as the straps are about an inch abover her shoulders. Which meant we got out easy with not ordering it there and then. We'll be going to Volvo to order it once she's grown a little bit more (probably a couple more weeks)

ETA: Tiggs, they harnessed the seat to the front seat when they put in it my car, so is there anywhere in the front of your car to anchor it to? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why do
you want him in the front? Would it not be better in the back?

Dimbo, I don't actually want him in the front, I was just testing theories. The only time I'd need him in the front was if I had to transport loads of stuff. I'm thinking cycling holiday, so bike and luggage, but i can probably take wheels out of the bike and shove luggage in the front.

I might be dreaming this, but if you fit an ERF in the front did I read correctly it doesn't need to be tethered?

Just spotted this thread. We have the Britax Hi Way. We're getting on well with it now that we've figured out how to fit it. The only trouble is that we have to move it a lot between cars. We don't have an isofix base as my car doesn't have isofix being an older model. I was wondering if anyone knows whether you can get spare straps for it? It would be much easier if we had the straps already fitted into my car and DH's car so we didn;t have to fumble around with them every time and could just attach the seat to straps that were already fitted.

https://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

This is a great page about why having an ERF seat in a front seat is actually ok (presuming you can deactivate the airbags). Hakan is a lovely person, I'm sure if you e-mailed and asked for links to the research carried out he'd be happy to provide them.

When I bought the Volvo seat, it was £150 (before the VAT increase) and with a discount (I forget how much, sorry). I don't know about the VAT being 5% on children's items, as I'm fairly sure we were charged the full 17.5%.

https://www.carseat.se/are-car-seats-in-front-seat-safe/

This is a great page about why having an ERF seat in a front seat is actually ok (presuming you can deactivate the airbags). Hakan is a lovely person, I'm sure if you e-mailed and asked for links to the research carried out he'd be happy to provide them.

When I bought the Volvo seat, it was £150 (before the VAT increase) and with a discount (I forget how much, sorry). I don't know about the VAT being 5% on children's items, as I'm fairly sure we were charged the full 17.5%.

Protective and safety equipment is supposed to be charged at 5% - https://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channel...CE_CL_000107&propertyType=document#P139_10133

Really? Wow, I'd have to get a look at the invoice (my Mum has it for the guarantee).

Probably only says "VAT = X amount" and I'm too crap at maths to know whether or not that was 17.5% or not :blush:

I do know it was £150 though.

well I've finally taken the plunge and bought the Radian XTSL from the States to be imported over to Australia. God I hope it fits our car!! There'll be no sending it back if it doesn't... I'll need to go and buy a bigger car! :lol:

Fingers crossed it gets through customs okay as well. *sigh*

God I wish Aust did ERF so I didn't have to go overseas for a seat.

Dimbo, I don't actually want him in the front, I was just testing theories. The only time I'd need him in the front was if I had to transport loads of stuff. I'm thinking cycling holiday, so bike and luggage, but i can probably take wheels out of the bike and shove luggage in the front.

I might be dreaming this, but if you fit an ERF in the front did I read correctly it doesn't need to be tethered?

Ahh, I see. I read somewhere, probably secureatot, that the front is just as safe as the back as long as the airbag is disabled. However, I don't see how the multitech can be as safe if it's not tethered.... but then I haven't read anything about them being in the front so I am probably just missing something. I should probably find out though, in case I ever need to put her in the front. I shall research when I have time.

Hello, ladies. I've had a flick through the posts and sorry if this has been asked already but does anyone know what the Volvo Britax mutli tech is actually called? It's just that I'm in a long email conversation with my local Volvo dealership and they are being very helpful but I'm having trouble actually getting them to track down the right seat. Can anyone who's bought one help me out with the name and tell me what you actually asked for? Thanks

You need the part number :) It's 31320139

ive never even heard of extended rear facing. well not until now anyway, thanks for the info.

You need the part number :) It's 31320139

Thankyou!!!! :thumbup: They have started emailing me technical drawings asking if it's the right cars seat - I have no idea! You would think Volvo don't actually want to sell any, what with it not really having a name or any details of how you can buy it without a mass internet hunt.... Hopefully the parts number will work X

The part number has changed, it is this one https://vccs.volvocars.se/Accessori...08-)/2010/all/all/all/ShowDocument/VCC-420660

Part. No.

How strange, although the part number has changed on Volvo's website it is the old number on the invoice 31320139

I collected mine today and when they called he confirmed the price of £146.05, I asked if that was including the 5% VAT he said it was including VAT. When I arrived to collect it he said that on their system it came up with 20% VAT and he checked with HMRC to confirm it should only be 5% VAT on child safety seats, which it is, so I got it for

£127.80 £121.71 + £6.09 VAT

Absolute bargain, cheaper than many FF seats on the market.

Now all I need is for the little squirt to grow a bit.

Well, the parts number (31320139) worked and it has been ordered for me. He said he is ordering it from Sweden, so that gives me hope it's the right one! I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday so fingers crossed it fits but he said no problem he can just send it back if it doesn't. Thanks for your help ladies. I never would have tracked it down without this thread as I am too scared to order from Sweden myself in case it didn't fit. :flower:

I just want to thank you for this thread. I had never heard of extended rear facing before BnB. It seems to be uncommon where I live. After reading this thread and doing my own research online, I have decided I am DEFINITELY going to do this. Anything that makes my baby girl safer, I will do.
It kind of angers me that I've never heard of it before. Is it like that in the UK, or just where I am? I didn't even know you COULD have a child 1+ rear facing. I feel like this should be a lot more well known.
Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->