Rear-Facing Support, Questions & Answers

Anybody have a renault clio (2001 model)
I have a 3door one and just wondering if anybody else has and is erf?

Hi, i'm new on here and looking for a recommendation for a RF seat. My LO is a small 18 month old and still fits in his infant seat (goes up to 29 lbs and he is about 23lbs, with a good inch above his head in it). I need to get him a stage 1 seat soon though.

It would be used in a Land rover, Mondeo and Mazda 3. We tried a Besafe Izi, but given that we are a tall family (upto 6 foot 4) it did not even fit in the Land Rover. I wondered if anyone else is tall and has any of these cars? If so, what do you use? At the moment his infant seat fits with about 1 inch spare at the back.

I was considering getting a Britax First Class Plus, as it is widely available, reasonable price and RF till 29 lbs. Going by LO's growth he would be around 3 years old then, if not older. Has anyone used this seat to RF longer than the usual 1 year?
Other options are the Britax Multi Tech and the 2 way elite. I am concerned that these seats are apparantly larger than the besafe izi?

Could anyone measure any of the seats for me, from where their back/bum is along the bit where their legs go? I was wondering if the more upright position of a stage 1 seat would provide more space and legroom than the infant seat he has currently as his knees are already right up or stretched to have him in a near V shape!!

Sariana, I have the MT for a astra estate (2000), there isn't loads of legroom in the front once the seat is in, I wouldn't want to be there for a long journey and i'm only 5'4".

There is a corsa listed as having a besafe izi combi isofix https://community.babycentre.co.uk/...all_drive_and_erf_seat_we_have_-_updated_list no comments as to legroom though.

The izi combi didn't leave much legroom in our Land Rover Discovery, so i don't think it would in a Corsa :(

OK, I have had the Multi-Tech in a Honda Jazz with enough legroom for my DH (5'11'') in the front comfortably :shock: I guess it goes to show that the outer size of the car doesn't always equate to inner size! The Multi-Tech we own is currently in a Citroen C4, again with plenty of legroom.

Another option is the Graco DuoLogic series, which you can buy from www.carseat.se. The seats can be fitted with either Isofix OR a seatbelt (very unusual in ERF seats). My DuoLogic2 has to date been fitted in the following cars:

Volvo 850
Mazda 6 Estate
Citroen C4
Honda Jazz
Renault Vel Satis
Renault Scenic
Ford Focus.

None of them had any issues with leg room (although the seats did have to go forward to allow it to be fitted).

Sariana, I have the MT for a astra estate (2000), there isn't loads of legroom in the front once the seat is in, I wouldn't want to be there for a long journey and i'm only 5'4".

There is a corsa listed as having a besafe izi combi isofix https://community.babycentre.co.uk/...all_drive_and_erf_seat_we_have_-_updated_list no comments as to legroom though.

The izi combi didn't leave much legroom in our Land Rover Discovery, so i don't think it would in a Corsa :(

We have the Izi Combi in a Golf and it fits ok. It leaves about 4-5 inches of legroom for the front passenger, which is enough for me at 5'5" and has only been a problem for a fairly tall guy who wasn't expecting it when he got in the car. Men always moan though!

This page - https://www.securatot.co.uk/rear-facing-vehicle-compatibility - has a comparison of sizes of seats. On the list there, the BeSafe seat looks smallest, but it doesn't include all of the available seats. You may be able to find sizes for other seats on the manufacturer's website though.

Hi, i'm new on here and looking for a recommendation for a RF seat. My LO is a small 18 month old and still fits in his infant seat (goes up to 29 lbs and he is about 23lbs, with a good inch above his head in it). I need to get him a stage 1 seat soon though.

It would be used in a Land rover, Mondeo and Mazda 3. We tried a Besafe Izi, but given that we are a tall family (upto 6 foot 4) it did not even fit in the Land Rover. I wondered if anyone else is tall and has any of these cars? If so, what do you use? At the moment his infant seat fits with about 1 inch spare at the back.

I was considering getting a Britax First Class Plus, as it is widely available, reasonable price and RF till 29 lbs. Going by LO's growth he would be around 3 years old then, if not older. Has anyone used this seat to RF longer than the usual 1 year?
Other options are the Britax Multi Tech and the 2 way elite. I am concerned that these seats are apparantly larger than the besafe izi?

Could anyone measure any of the seats for me, from where their back/bum is along the bit where their legs go? I was wondering if the more upright position of a stage 1 seat would provide more space and legroom than the infant seat he has currently as his knees are already right up or stretched to have him in a near V shape!!

Just a thought, but you could always put the seat in the front as long as you can de-activate the front passenger airbags? Research has shown that an rf seat in the front with airbags deactivated is just as safe as the back, if not safer due to the extra safety often added to the front if the car from manufacturers. That way you may have more room in the back?

I should be ordering mine tomorrow, I'm getting the DuoLogic 2 :D I'm so excited to get it :lol:

Do any stores over there allow you to try buckling the display model in the car to see if it'll fit? A few baby stores here do.

DD is RF in a Evenflo Tribute it goes to 35lbs RF and she's currently 25lbs. I currently have Dad agreeing to RF as long as she's happy in the car and isn't freaking out. I'm hoping to get to age 2. Although I know 3 is better we'll see.

Hiya!
I have only just started looking into ERf & think it's fantastic & why on earth do so few ppl do it?! Anyway, i have a million questions to ask (mostly about where to buy, can i try them 1st, prices & what will fit my car!! lol!) but was just thinking i can imagine it being a bit like being a cloth newbie & everyone asking the same questions over & over! I know we cant have another sticky, but would it be possible to include FAQs on the 1st post of this thread? x

Hiya!
I have only just started looking into ERf & think it's fantastic & why on earth do so few ppl do it?! Anyway, i have a million questions to ask (mostly about where to buy, can i try them 1st, prices & what will fit my car!! lol!) but was just thinking i can imagine it being a bit like being a cloth newbie & everyone asking the same questions over & over! I know we cant have another sticky, but would it be possible to include FAQs on the 1st post of this thread? x

I was going to put exactly these questions in a post :haha:

We picked up and fitted our Volvo special today. Love it! She fell asleep on the way home so got her seal of approval :thumbup:
Also love the price. £127.80, thanks Tiggs for the VAT heads up.

And it's so much easier to get her in and our because with her other seat on the isofix base, it was quite high and didn't have much room to move her around to get her in. She usually ended up with a leg cocked over the side :haha:

I picked up my Volvo seat today - it's great, I'm really pleased with it. However, it wasn't the rebranded Britax mutli tech I was expecting! The parts man at the Volvo dealership tried the numbers you guys gave me - 31320139 and 30756951 - but was unable to get anything as he said that the parts number kept saying not recognised. Instead, what was sent from Sweden was a specific volvo only rear facing car seat that goes from birth to 18kg (it's non isofix). It's parts number was 31263083. As I said it only fits in Volvos (we have a V40 and it turns out all Volvos have specific ERF points on the bottom of the front seats to attach the straps to - I had always wondered what they were for!). It came in at just under £200 with the support leg (seat was £157.98 and support leg was £38.24). I will try to upload some pics when I get a chance as it is another seat we can add to the list if people have a Volvo and is the only one I've seen that can be used right from birth up to 4ish without needing to buy a separate infant seat.

So I've no idea why I couldn't get a multi tech, maybe as we had a Volvo they sent this one instead but it's all worked out well as the seat is fab and fits really well. :flower:

I picked up my Volvo seat today - it's great, I'm really pleased with it. However, it wasn't the rebranded Britax mutli tech I was expecting! The parts man at the Volvo dealership tried the numbers you guys gave me - 31320139 and 30756951 - but was unable to get anything as he said that the parts number kept saying not recognised. Instead, what was sent from Sweden was a specific volvo only rear facing car seat that goes from birth to 18kg (it's non isofix). It's parts number was 31263083. As I said it only fits in Volvos (we have a V40 and it turns out all Volvos have specific ERF points on the bottom of the front seats to attach the straps to - I had always wondered what they were for!). It came in at just under £200 with the support leg (seat was £157.98 and support leg was £38.24). I will try to upload some pics when I get a chance as it is another seat we can add to the list if people have a Volvo and is the only one I've seen that can be used right from birth up to 4ish without needing to buy a separate infant seat.

So I've no idea why I couldn't get a multi tech, maybe as we had a Volvo they sent this one instead but it's all worked out well as the seat is fab and fits really well. :flower:

How random! It'll be interesting to see :)

Also just wanted to mention that the Graco DuoLogic 2 (not sure about the 1 and 3 models) are birth to 18kg also :)

Following on from my previous post, here are some pics of my new Volvo only car seat. It is a bit different from some of the other ERF seats I have seen - it seems a bit taller and sits very tight against the front seat. Anyways, according to the manual it fits all Volvos (some models need an extra seat booster though) and it fits really well, with plenty of leg room for LO. It doesn't move an inch! You can order the usual range of accessories too - mirror, sun screen, hood, play tray for toys that attaches to the seat etc. I would recommended it to anyone who has a Volvo. (details of parts number, price etc are in my previous post.) :flower:

Attachments

• S1051370.jpg
    S1051370.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 10
  • S1051373.jpg
    S1051373.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 11
  • S1051375.jpg
    S1051375.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
  • S1051376.jpg
    S1051376.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 11
That's really good to know, thanks bubbles :) We love Volvos, though we don't have one at the moment. I'm sure we'll go back to them in the future though, so we'll keep that seat in mind if we ever have need for another one! :D

I had never heard of ERF until I started using BnB! I have been looking in to getting out of my (very nearly) 6 month old. Does anyone know if the Volvo/Britax multi tech would fit in to a 2009 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa? Thanks.

Is it a 3 door? I know the Multi Tech fits in a Honda Jazz (which is just a bit bigger than a Corsa) but I could imagine it being a footer to fit in a 3-door car.

The Multi-Tech is fitted with a seatbelt, not Isofix, which can cause a problem. Although it had loads of room in the Honda Jazz, the seatbelt fittings wouldn't work with the seat. The belt clips (that the belt clicks into) need to be set into the seats, not on pieces of belt. This is because if the clips are on bits of belt themselves, the seat can move about.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

hey i was just having a browse, and noticed your comment, i dont have a car but my mum drives a ford fiesta and i would need a carseat that would fit in there, however the seatbelt clips are not set in the seat, they are attatched to belt...does this mean no erf car seats will work? theres no isofix either.
thanks in advance!
xx

hey i was just having a browse, and noticed your comment, i dont have a car but my mum drives a ford fiesta and i would need a carseat that would fit in there, however the seatbelt clips are not set in the seat, they are attatched to belt...does this mean no erf car seats will work? theres no isofix either.
thanks in advance!
xx

I'm afraid that my very unhelpful answer is that I don't really know! :blush: I'm not familiar with fitting seats other than the ones I have, so don't know if others are as stringent about belt fittings. Also, it could depend on the length of the strap; the Multi-Tech manual had very clear pictures showing how long was too long (iykwim). The little bits of strap in the Jazz seemed really quite long, whereas I know some cars have much shorter straps at that point.

I think it'd be worth you asking an expert, so perhaps you could try e-mailing Hakan at www.carseat.se? He's sure to have come across this kind of problem before, and is SO nice :) Can't recommend carseat.se enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->