Reasons to continue?

pachamama

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been expressing since lo was 6 weeks old for various reasons. I'm really proud of the fact that I'm still expressing and lo only had some formula top ups at 4-6 months, and nothing before or since.

Anyhoo, my reason for posting is that I'm returning to work in 2 months time, when lo will be a year old. I'm really starting to think about whether this would be the time to stop expressing or are there good reasons to continue? I've already spoken with my boss who is more than happy for me to come to work half an hour later in the morning, so that I've enough time to express first thing and get myself ready. If I was breastfeeding, I could see how the closeness and comfort for baby/me is really beneficial post-12 months but is there really much difference in my milk, as opposed to formula or cows milk at this stage?

What are good reasons to continue to express after 12 months?

Thanks.

x

I'm not a fan of cows milk, for anyone. I don't think it's healthy to eat the milk that was designed by nature for a different type of animal. I've been involved with wildlife rehabilitation, and it's vital with young animals to get the milk right, or they just don't survive. There are lots of reasons why cows milk is not so healthy for humans, and that would follow as its in the formula. BUT I know alot of people drink milk....:)
I would say human milk is better if you are going to give lo milk at all. That would be my thinking if that helps at all! Am sure there are plenty of ladies who can think of other good reasons!

It is extremely nutritious for the baby and a good mixing base for foods that you are having your little one eat but you could really go either way at that stage. Whatever you choose to do will be right for you, you know yourself and your baby best. It definitely won't hurt :D

Thanks for your responses so far.

It really is a tricky one for me. I can really understand how breastmilk is fabulous for babies in the first 6 months and even the first 12 months, but I don't know much about the nutrient benefit beyond that.

I'm guessing there are still antibody etc benefits at this stage? Does anyone know?
x

i'm not sure hun i guess whatever makes you happy xxx good luck at work xxx

Yep there are still lots of antibodies in the milk (in fact some types of antibodies actually increase during the second year of breastfeeding). Breastmilk is perfectly designed to meet your child's needs at each age and will always be far superior to milk from a totally different species. Also, it's free! :D

Gosh, I didn't know some antibodies increase in the second year. That's interesting.... and definitely a good reason to continue for me. As is the fact it's free!

Any ideas where I can read more about it?

Thanks.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->