Reciprocal IVF?

K and M

Reaction score
Hi All!

I found this thread today and have been browsing for a bit, but I wanted to see if anyone is currently doing reciprocal IVF? My partner and I have been together for several years. We found out recently that it is inadvisable for M to carry a child due to some pelvic nerve dysfunction. I would be happy to carry, but we want to use my brother as a donor so that we are both related to the child. We had not considered reciprocal IVF due to cost, but we found out not too long ago that M's insurance covers 85% for same sex IVF. It will not cover my half of the process, but it makes it affordable.

We aren't planning to do a fresh cycle for several reasons - the first is that M is 36 and we want the eggs out ASAP, the second is that her insurance ends May 1 (we can cobra but it starts to offset some of the affordability), and third I just got my Merena IUD out and it will likely take several months to recover. Because of this, we are proceeding directly to stim and retrieval with M's next period (due in a week), inseminating, freezing, and then will cycle me and implant once my uterine lining is ready. The best odds are of course with a fresh cycle, we don't know how many embryos we will get, and if they will survive the thawing process, but we think it's worth a go (we have had 2 friends have first time success with a frozen embryo in recent years).

We have a few balls in the air right now, and I would LOVE to talk with anyone who has been through this. Things that are are thinking about in particular:

Has anyone done PGD and/or elective single embryo transfer? At our center, they have really excellent success rates post PGD presumably because most failures if implantation or early miscarriages are due to chromosmaly abnormal embryos - in our center the success rate goes from just under 50% for us to about 75%. I like the idea of starting with one baby and not two at the same time for many reasons, but of course financially we want to make a good go of this cycle.

If you did PGD, was it done on day 3 or 5? From our reading results are better at day 5 for fresh transfers, but embryos that proceed to hatching likely won't survive the thaw, and since we are definitely freezing, it's kind of a catch-22 for us.

Also, it'd be great to talk to anyone who has done this in general, even if you can't answer my rather specific questions. Happy to see that this board exists!

Kate

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->