Red blotches on face. Allergy or acidity?

Lady_Bee

Two little ones
Reaction score
My baby boy had some eggplant (aubergine) lasagne tonight. It was his first time having eggplant, and a couple of minutes into the meal he started to get red blotches around his mouth where the eggplant slices touched his skin.

It seemed like he was quite uncomfortable and he got pretty upset! I am quite concerned as his cheeks and chin were very red afterwards, and he had some red blotches on his hand where he'd been holding the food.

Does this sound like the acidity of the food bothered him? Or is it an allergic reaction? The redness was just blotches, not hives, bu he didnt seem very happy. I thought allergic reactions old only happen after the second time having a food and this was the first time he had eggplant. Though I guess it could be something else in the lasagna.

I did read though that eggplant is particularly acidic and that can cause rashes in babies.

Any ideas/similar experiences?

Omar used to have similar reaction to eggplants & raw tomato, he got over it when he was older.

I'd hold on offering him eggplants until he's over 1 yr, & try it again when he's a bit older xx

Thank you OmarsMum, I hope it's something he may grow out of too. Definitely won't be doing eggplant again for a while. xx

This happened to my son too but its not an allergy. Eggplant is not a known allergen and unless your child actually got an allergic reaction, of which red blotches is not part of, I wouldnt worry.

I double checked this with a mummy friend of mine who's also an A&E doctor (she's seen plenty of allergic reactions in the emergency room I can tell you..) and she said that sounded like contact dermatitis. In essence, skin reacting to food on it (could be acidity etc).

My son's since gotten this from other things as well and it always goes away after a little while but seeing it the first time I too got quite worried. Its quite common with aubergine and squashes too apparently..who knows :shrug: :haha:

This happened to my son too but its not an allergy. Eggplant is not a known allergen and unless your child actually got an allergic reaction, of which red blotches is not part of, I wouldnt worry.

I double checked this with a mummy friend of mine who's also an A&E doctor (she's seen plenty of allergic reactions in the emergency room I can tell you..) and she said that sounded like contact dermatitis. In essence, skin reacting to food on it (could be acidity etc).

My son's since gotten this from other things as well and it always goes away after a little while but seeing it the first time I too got quite worried. Its quite common with aubergine and squashes too apparently..who knows :shrug: :haha:

Thanks for this info. Tis was my gut feeling as it didn't seem in line with anything I'd read about allergic reactions to food. Ive noticed slight redness with other foods before but this was the first time his skin turned VERY red in the places where the food touched it. Contact dermatitis definitely makes sense. Thank you. :flower:

No worries.....I freaked a little when I saw it the first time too, lol! xx

I know this is of ABSOLUTELY no help to you but... just wanna say how blooming cute your boy is :cloud9: I've seen him in your siggy picture a few times on BnB and always think to myself 'what a gorgeous little boy'!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of the eggplant situation!

Aww thank you Mrs_T, yes he is pretty cute. ;) CHEEKY. But cute.

But what an adorable little girl you have too - love the face she's making in your avatar, it kind of looks like she's getting ready to blow a massive raspberry hahaha :haha: Well either that or she's going to blow you a kiss :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->