Red bull, please help

Fruitmash

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie, I'm fairly addicted to Redbull. I don't drink coffee (except pumpkin spice lattes in Autumn) or tea, but when I'm not pregnant I'll easily drink 4 cans a day! I know it's bad for me but since I don't drink or smoke and have never taken drugs, I kinda justify it. Just before becoming pregnant I was down to 1-2 cans.
At first my morning sickness was awful, everything I drank made me feel so ill I had to hide buy the toilet except when DH gave me a small swig of his energy drink. So I justified that if it was all that was staying down, one can every two weeks wouldn't be too bad. I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and still a bit sensitive but significantly better so I've been trying so hard not to drink any energy drinks but DH buys them for me! He got me one today and it's staring at me from the fridge. I've tried to tell him but he just forgets. I didn't realise it was bad for baby ('cause I'm a moron and didn't look) until past 20 weeks with DD and she's perfect but I'm trying so hard. Anyone got any tips? Is one a month too bad? Any advice?

No tips unfortunately.. I am a huge energy drink junkie and love them but i stopped as soon as i knew i'm pregnant. It's so tough though as i don't want to forbid OH drinking them he loves them too and he already stopped smoking for our baby.

So i guess what i'm saying, i just tough it out and not drink them. But i know the feeling :(

Think I'll just have to have a sit down with DH and ask him not to buy them for me. I won't be breastfeeding (need to get my mess back asap) so it's not too long. I looked it up and so many women still drink them so no help there. I don't want to feel like the devil for drinking them before but don't want to risk my baby's health either!

Don't get too worried! I've looked in to it and the caffeine content of a bigger energy drink like a monster or rockstar is within your daily recommended allowance. Ofcourse they're not the healthiest things and have a lot of sugar but all in moderation and I personally drink one now and then with working 10 hour days at a nursery and having my 4 year old! Xx

Don't get too worried! I've looked in to it and the caffeine content of a bigger energy drink like a monster or rockstar is within your daily recommended allowance. Ofcourse they're not the healthiest things and have a lot of sugar but all in moderation and I personally drink one now and then with working 10 hour days at a nursery and having my 4 year old! Xx

Thank you so much for that! I'm making sure that I don't drink them if I can avoid it but sometimes I just need one! I cut down so heavily on my chocolate and soft drinks so I try not to feel too bad but still. My anxiety isn't helping, I can't get medication for it anymore and literally everything is a struggle now

Is it just the fizz or the caffeine you crave?
Years ago all I wanted to drink was coca cola, couldn't stand water. So one day I quit it cold turkey and went to drinking flavored water. Water mixed with lemon juice to be exact. Once I got past the first week, I stopped craving the sweet sugary caffeine pop drinks.
I still like the fizzy drinks, so have switched to sparkling water which I occasionally mix with some fruit juice.

I'd say if you can't give it up cold turkey, wean yourself off by drinking things with less caffeine. Switch it up, see what else hits the taste buds.

Is it just the fizz or the caffeine you crave?
Years ago all I wanted to drink was coca cola, couldn't stand water. So one day I quit it cold turkey and went to drinking flavored water. Water mixed with lemon juice to be exact. Once I got past the first week, I stopped craving the sweet sugary caffeine pop drinks.
I still like the fizzy drinks, so have switched to sparkling water which I occasionally mix with some fruit juice.

I'd say if you can't give it up cold turkey, wean yourself off by drinking things with less caffeine. Switch it up, see what else hits the taste buds.

It's specifically the taste. If they had anything available that tasted the same but with less caffeine and taurine then that'd be it. It's my favourite flavour and since it's the flavour I need, it's that or nothing:nope:

I hope i didn't make you feel bad with my post :hugs: definitely don't feel bad especially not for drinking it kn your first pregnancy, feeling bad about that won't do anything :hugs:

If the craving gets too bad maybe you can control it by just having a sip and not a whole can? i just can't justify all that caffeine and taurine at once but my cravings for the taste aren't that bad. If a sip can do the trick maybe it'll help wean you off as well

I hope i didn't make you feel bad with my post :hugs: definitely don't feel bad especially not for drinking it kn your first pregnancy, feeling bad about that won't do anything :hugs:

If the craving gets too bad maybe you can control it by just having a sip and not a whole can? i just can't justify all that caffeine and taurine at once but my cravings for the taste aren't that bad. If a sip can do the trick maybe it'll help wean you off as well
You didn't make me feel bad at all :hugs:
The thing is, if I open one then I have to finish it otherwise it'll go to waste haha! I'd probably be okay except I have a mental condition and can't take all my pills so I have to find some comfort and inner normality somewhere to get through it all. But if I drank too much and something went wrong it'd kill me so I'm kind of up in the air about it. It'll be easier when I'm a bit further along and feeling baby, buying for baby but I'm in that awful middle stage where you barely feel pregnant at all and it's just harder for me right there. Only a couple more weeks and then I can feel lovely movements though!

How about having that first sip and then handing the can over to hubby to finish. Technically not a waste. That's what I did with coca cola;) have a sip and pass it back..

How about having that first sip and then handing the can over to hubby to finish. Technically not a waste. That's what I did with coca cola;) have a sip and pass it back..

You might be on to something there!

There's a redbull called total zero. It has no caffeine/no sugar I believe.
Maybe you can find it online if you cant find it in stores.
My friend drank a medium iced cappuccino a few times a week and when she wasn't drinking those she would have a redbull. She had her baby a month premature. Just be careful!

*Sorry I'm just editing this now, redbull total zero does have the same amount of caffeine as regular redbull, just no sugar. Try to limit yourself to under 200mg a day*

I still drink energy drinks, a particular brand here that has a sugar free one that I love. It has the same amount of caffeine (roughly) as a large coffee, so I just don't drink any coffee that day if I have one. I often will pour half a can in with some sugar free lemonade like sprite so I get the flavour but not so much caffeine etx at once. Then have the other half of the can the next day.

I've had to give up almost every single pregnancy craving food stuff since 25 weeks due to GD and I refuse to give us every single thing I love.

Might sound weird but u could make it into ice cubes
Just hve one when u crave the taste
I love redbull too
But gave it up ages ago due to liver problems
Gave up all fizzy drink
Even the smell of a can still makes me want it.
:)
So I do understand xx

Been doing some reading and the caffeine is well within the limits at 80 mg (you shouldn't exceed 200 mg/day). There does seem to be mixed advice on the taurine as some say it's ok during pregnancy but some say it's not:shrug:

I've read that someone was recommended by her OBGYN to drink one can every 2nd day as long as she doesn't drink anything else with caffeine and to those days not drink any sodas (as too much sugar isn't good during pregnancy either). I definitely wouldn't drink it more often than that although I've been personally staying completely away from all energy drinks.

Im doing the whole thing where if i crave it i have it, if im not suppost to have it then i limit it. is that good advice? probably not, but at the same time im sitting here enjoying my morning coffee before going onto water for the day!

My mom smoked alot, was addicted to coffee, ate whatever she wanted, had a wee drink at the weekends and generally got on with her life when she was pregnant with me, she also had an autoimmune disease which put the risk's of miscarrying in the first and second tri with me up by an extra 10-20% along with the risk of clots and pre-e going by what we know know i shouldn't have made it past the 1st tri but i was born healthy 8lbs, i was probably the exception and not the rule but knowing what i know about women who never knew they where pregnant until 6 months along and everything being fine, i think we can have a little of whatever it is we are craving without being to worried! ( unless its, yanno beer or whatever )

So in short id say a small tin here and there wouldn't hurt, as long as its not lots and lots, im not a doc and i haven't looked into the amount of caffine im allowed i just go by what i think would be ok, same as everything else, in moderation most things are ok in my book! ( my book might not be awesome, im a random woman on the internet, but it works for me )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->