Reflux?

tentoes92

Reaction score
I'm starting to think my little guy had reflux :( more so in the evenings. He usually screams from around 5 to 9 most nights and is incosolable. I'm trying gas drops to see if that helps but I'm thinking it is reflux since he's already spit up alot twice today and its only 3pm. Should i call his pediatrician? I don't want him to have to go on medicines if I can avoid it. I was planning on cutting out dairy for a few weeks to see if that helps but I don't want him to suffer anymore :(

Mine has reflux and is on prevacid and zantac. She still spits up a lot but is no longer in pain with it.

My GP said if they're uncomfortable after every feed it shows reflux rather than colic. We tried gaviscon, then dairy free, then zantac. Gaviscon isn't normally very helpful for bf babies so I would recommend doing a dairy free trial now to see if it improves. It might help even if it is colic rather than reflux. If it doesn't help, then see your doc to see if he recommends medication.

If the crying is just in the evening I don't know whether that fits the pattern of reflux (unless this is the time of day when you try to lay him flat and the rest of the day he is more upright). Reflux is also an odd diagnosis because all babies have weak muscles keeping their food in their stomach but this is to a greater or lesser degree in each. Some doctors will only say reflux if baby spits up most of their meals and is losing weight. Others will give the diagnosis based on the frequency and amount of distress baby is in. Was your baby seeming in pain after spitting up today or is it just during the evening?

If you are breastfeeding, some causes for spitting up a lot of milk are:
Overactive let down
High milk volume
A latch that could be better (is letting in air)
Cows milk intolerance

Swallowing lots of air with milk causes more burps and they bring milk up with them. If you have a very fast letdown, baby could be struggling to cope, trying to pull back to slow the flow and then ending up gulping air with milk. A baby who hasn't got a deep latch could also swallow air as they feed. If you have high milk volume it maybe that baby is drinking more milk than his stomach can cope with and the natural response to this is to sick some of it up. If you have any breastfeeding support near you, you could ask someone to observe a feed to see if they think any of these things could be contributing. Things you can try if you've noticed baby struggling with letdown or milk volume are reclined feedings where milk has to flow against gravity to reach baby, or expressing off just that first letdown just till it stops gushing and then latching baby.

Evening crying (for reasons no-one can fathom) seems to start around 3 weeks, get worse to peak around 8-9 weeks and then get slightly better towards 12 weeks. Tiredness/overstimulation/sensation of digesting/not being able to chose between sleep or food/sensing stress from parents etc. all have been blamed for evening crying but still no-one really knows. You are not alone though, it is very common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->