Refused part time hours at work

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I have a 3yo who is due to start school in September next year. I currently work full time and my son goes to nursery 7.30-4.30. I have requested to lower my hours to 30 hours at work so that I can finish at 2.30 from summer next year. That way DS1 will go to breakfast club but I would be able to pick him up from school myself.

Work have refused this request saying my job can't be done on part time hours. There are other people that work the hours I have requested so I've asked if I can change my role slightly to do the new hours.

My manager has said this isn't possible but has offered me a job share of 19 hours a week. It wouldn't be better for me financially but would help in school holidays.

Now I don't know what to do. I have been in my job 2 year and dont want to change if I can help it.

So now it's either work full time and pay for childcare every day or work part time and pay for less childcare. The money difference will be about 30 pounds a week less.

Edited to add.. at the moment we don't have much left after bills. If I took the job share I still wouldn't have much left but would be about 30 a week less. Not entitled to any tax credits whether I work full time or part time despite me and OH both being on low wages (£8 per hour)

I believe Employers do not 'have' to grant flexible working request but they must show you their reasons for refusing have they done this? The fact others have been grated a request should work in your favour depending on if the role is the same/similar

Personally, I'd rather be able to pick my child up from school...depends on how much you'd struggle without the £30...would you save all year round but not having th childminder, epically in school holidays?

30.00 a week is quite a lot i would try to speak to your boss again could you apply for a different role

I've decided to take the new hours of 22.5 a week. My employer said that I can work Saturdays to get some extra money and OH said he is willing to do overtime if we find we are struggling. Fingers crossed it won't have too much of an impact financially :) at least I'll be able to taken DS1 to school 2 days a week. My MIL works in a school so only works term time. She said said she will look after DS1 2 days a week during the school holidays and my mum has said she will look after him the other day so hopefully it will work out good :)

I've decided to take the new hours of 22.5 a week. My employer said that I can work Saturdays to get some extra money and OH said he is willing to do overtime if we find we are struggling. Fingers crossed it won't have too much of an impact financially :) at least I'll be able to taken DS1 to school 2 days a week. My MIL works in a school so only works term time. She said said she will look after DS1 2 days a week during the school holidays and my mum has said she will look after him the other day so hopefully it will work out good :)

Great news I know some things are more important than money but struggling all the time is horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->