Regular Braxton Hicks? Doc Says Call, but...

Shanslee

Reaction score
So I'm not sure what to do right now...

I am just shy of 31 weeks pregnant with twins. Despite problems detected with our girl twin, the pregnancy has been relatively smooth sailing so far.

Four days ago, I noticed that the Braxton Hicks contractions I have been having on and off for weeks were suddenly becoming regular. From the point I started timing them, they went on for almost five hours. Each was seven to ten minutes apart. I did everything I should do -- drank plenty of water, rested on my left side, all of that. Nothing worked. It finally tapered off to one every thirty minutes or so, and I thought we were in the clear.

The next evening, same thing. Three hours this time. Then a break of three hours, then just over two hours right before the sun came up.

That morning we had a non-stress test (regularly scheduled). I told the doctor about the contractions, and she told me to time them for one hour, then drink or eat something, use the bathroom, all of that, then give it another hour. If at the end of two hours I am still having them on a regular basis, give them a call.

The problem (as I told the doc) is that if I called in every time I had Braxton Hicks for two hours straight, I would be living in the hospital! When they start they go on for hours. But they are obviously not the real thing, and they are causing no progress at all with my cervix, so it's not preterm labor (yet). She just kinda shrugged, as if she didn't quite believe I was having that many, and said to call anyway.

And so it goes...I am having them right now, and approaching hour number two. This is my third round of this today.

So...has anyone experienced regular and relatively constant BH contractions? Did you call every time the doctor said you should? How did you handle it?

Thanks in advance... :)

I would call and if they send u home that's okay and if it happens again call because mayb they will get a clue something is going on even if it's just the babies causing that pain

Well I don't have twins so I might be a little more worried if I were in your shoes...however with that being said, I have had way more contractions this pregnancy (my third) than with any of my other, I forget how many they told me if I had more than in an hour to call about, but I went way past that limit multiple times...I would probably go in a couple times, even if all it does is make your midwife reevaluate her stance, but I'd rather be safe than sorry especially with twins :hugs:

I would call in hun, like PP said they will be able to see what is going on. Better to be safe hun and after all that is what they are there for :) xx

Call in to be safe. Do you think maybe you are just overdoing it? As in too much physical activity. On busy days, I tend to get them a lot more and even have had them be regular and about 7-8 minutes about lasting 45 seconds each. I try all of the things you mention as well (water, rest, etc....) but sometimes it takes HOURs for them to cool down.
Be cautious just to be safe - it'll put your mind at ease.

I really feel for you. I've been having a lot of braxton hicks that go on for a long time (3-5 hours, yuck!) and like you, if I rang every time I would live at the maternity ward - well more than I already appear to do!

It's so difficult to know though and especially with twins and being so early still, it sounds like it is worth calling. If nothing else, it will let them see exactly what you mean by how frequent they are and how intense.

Good luck xx

I texted my ob and he said to go to the maternity ward. Next time I probably won't go unless they are too frequent, but the first time I got them I was kinda scared, cos last time I got BH a few days before labour, so I thought: this shouldn't be happening so soon

I was told two hours of every 10 minutes before calling. I have been getting fairly intense pain every few hours hen I get maybe 2-3 contractions before they die down, but they aren't worried and gave me the above advice. I'm 31 and a half weeks with one baba (maybe different for twins though)

Thank you for all the replies on this. It helps set my mind at ease to know that I'm not the only one who has dealt with BH for hours on end!

This pregnancy definitely feels different than my singletons did, with more pressure, more nausea during the first trimester, all of that. But maybe it could also be that I'm older now...my first babies are 17 and 15 already (unbelievable!) and so this is like being pregnant for the first time all over again.

I'm definitely not overdoing it -- I run a home-based business, so I can put my feet up all day long if I need to. I've been taking it very easy. I have experimented with moving around once the contractions start, because I read that activity can make true contractions worse, while it can make BH contractions slow down. It doesn't seem to matter whether I move around or not.

And now I'm just rambling. :blush:

As so many of you suggested, I think I will begin calling in every time I get to the point where the doc advised to call (that two-hour mark or so). I hate to be an annoyance to the docs, but this really IS strange.

I'm also having twins, and I have BH contractions every hour of every day and have since about 16 weeks. Some nights they are coming regularly and less than 10 minutes apart. Lying down on my side, drinking water, having a snack, and taking a nap are all things that help them to slow down. Sometimes they do not stop until after a full nights' sleep, and then they come back when I try to stand up with a full bladder.

The babies are still in there, and despite this going on for 17 weeks now my cervix is closed and was 4cm long at my last ultrasound (3 weeks ago).

I'm also having twins, and I have BH contractions every hour of every day and have since about 16 weeks. Some nights they are coming regularly and less than 10 minutes apart. Lying down on my side, drinking water, having a snack, and taking a nap are all things that help them to slow down. Sometimes they do not stop until after a full nights' sleep, and then they come back when I try to stand up with a full bladder.

The babies are still in there, and despite this going on for 17 weeks now my cervix is closed and was 4cm long at my last ultrasound (3 weeks ago).

This sounds so much like me! I am having trouble figuring out what makes them go away, though...none of the usual suspects work. It seems they just stop on their own.

Thank you for sharing this...it gives me hope that this is at least somewhat normal for a twin pregnancy!

I found this pregnancy I was getting loads more BH and then made the connection it was whenever I was wearing maternity tights or trousers - basically anything even marginally hugging my bump. I have literally had to live in loose dresses for the last 6 weeks. Absolutely bizarre as never had anything like it with DD (good job really as she was born in January brrrr). It sounds like it may just be the twin pregnancy, but just wondered if you had noticed any connection with clothes, food etc? I have heard eating certain foods can increase them xxx

I found this pregnancy I was getting loads more BH and then made the connection it was whenever I was wearing maternity tights or trousers - basically anything even marginally hugging my bump. I have literally had to live in loose dresses for the last 6 weeks. Absolutely bizarre as never had anything like it with DD (good job really as she was born in January brrrr). It sounds like it may just be the twin pregnancy, but just wondered if you had noticed any connection with clothes, food etc? I have heard eating certain foods can increase them xxx

That's a good question...

The clothing...no. I live in dresses, especially since I got pregnant, and haven't worn anything even close to tight or hugging for weeks.

But the food question makes me think maybe I should start keeping a food journal? There might be some connection there.

I did learn from my last bloodwork that I have very low iron, so maybe that is a contributing factor? I've been really going for the iron-rich foods. I will definitely keep track and see if what I eat makes any difference. Thank you for the suggestion! :flower:

Here's an update for those who might be dealing with the same problem...

I learned a few things today when I went in for the non-stress test. I was having tiny contractions every few minutes, then a big one every twenty minutes or so. The doc came in and talked it all over with me. (Note that this was a different doctor than last time...this guy is the head of the practice, and tends to take over from the other docs when something 'weird' is brewing with a mom or baby.)

Turns out those "big" contractions really are the real thing. He told me to focus on those, and when I have more than four or five in one hour, to call him after that two-hour point.

The "little" contractions are Braxton Hicks. He's not really concerned about those.

However, I am also having even smaller contractions that I can't actually feel in the traditional sense. The monitor picks them up. I did notice that when the monitor shows I have those, I am feeling little stabs of back pain.

Given all of this, he diagnosed me with an irritable uterus. Basically, my uterus is doing all sorts of disorganized things, like twitching and cramping and contracting, on top of the Braxton Hicks AND the occasional "big" contractions. It's like my uterus is doing a constant dance of anxiety.

The good news is that I'm not so worried anymore. The bad news is that the constant annoyance of all these twitches and pains and contractions is starting to put me in a rotten mood. UGH. :nope:

I know I posted here to reassure you earlier but it seems my situation has changed a bit. I'm now in pre-labor with a positive FFN test, and having regular painful contractions. Like you, what I thought was BH is the real deal.

Keep an eye on your contractions and don't hesitate to get more attention if they start becoming painful to you.

Have you had your steroid shot yet? I just finished my second. I read up on them and they do provide some great benefits to mature the baby in case of preterm birth.

I know I posted here to reassure you earlier but it seems my situation has changed a bit. I'm now in pre-labor with a positive FFN test, and having regular painful contractions. Like you, what I thought was BH is the real deal.

Keep an eye on your contractions and don't hesitate to get more attention if they start becoming painful to you.

Have you had your steroid shot yet? I just finished my second. I read up on them and they do provide some great benefits to mature the baby in case of preterm birth.

Uh-oh...I hope your babies stay in longer than this! I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best. :hugs:

My contractions aren't any more painful yet, but they sure are annoying. I haven't been able to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time because they wake me up, which makes me so tired, and then of course the more tired I am, the more contractions I have... *sigh*

I haven't had steroid shots yet. But in light of your comment here, I'm going to mention that to my doctor today when I go in for the non-stress test. Did the shots have any side effects for you?

No side effects from the steroid shot that I could tell... the nurse told me that the most common ones are sunburn-like flushing of the face and reduced fetal movement. But it's hard to tell at this point just which thing is making me feel terrible.

The shots have many benefits: https://www.informedhealthonline.or...oids-do.2686.en.html?part=geburt-ev-hnnp-pcqd

Have you tried kicking your partner out of the bed and just surrounding yourself in pillows at night so you can move freely and be supported? I did that last night and slept a lot better.

No side effects from the steroid shot that I could tell... the nurse told me that the most common ones are sunburn-like flushing of the face and reduced fetal movement. But it's hard to tell at this point just which thing is making me feel terrible.

The shots have many benefits: https://www.informedhealthonline.or...oids-do.2686.en.html?part=geburt-ev-hnnp-pcqd

Have you tried kicking your partner out of the bed and just surrounding yourself in pillows at night so you can move freely and be supported? I did that last night and slept a lot better.

I'm so sorry you feel terrible...and to not know how to "fix" it would seem to make it even worse? How far along are you right now?

I asked about the shots, but I won't be having them just yet, because it appears that the contractions I am having aren't really productive...I go to the doc at least twice a week at this point, so hopefully they will catch it if my cervix starts to thin or dilate. But the constant contractions still make me nervous.

At night I sleep with a multitude of pillows! It does give me some relief. The contractions still wake me up, but at least the pillows help take away the other little aches and pains that come along with being as big as a HOUSE with these twin bundles of joy. :thumbup:

I'm also pregnant with twins and just started having contractions this week. They started in the middle of the night Monday morning and they continued while at my NST on Monday. The Toco meter was reading them at a 25. They dwindled and I only had an occasional one until today. They started up while at my NST and the toco meter was reading 58 at it's highest point, every 9-10 minutes. They have continued all day despite having drank a crazy amount of water. I was told by the Dr to call if they increased in intensity. They haven't been anymore painful, but are very annoying. I have a regularly scheduled ultrasound tomorrow.

I had asked 2 different Dr's in the practice about the shots for the boys lungs and they both told me if I get to 34 weeks then I won't need the shots. I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow. I'll be asking the MFM Dr tomorrow since they can override my regular Dr's decisions.

Just hoping I'll be able to sleep tonight through these contractions.

Shanslee- I am just over 33 weeks now.

DoubleT - I wouldn't be too concerned. My contractions are going to 100+ on the TOCO meter -see the below picture. They are currently coming every 5-15 minutes (slower at night) and are about a 3 or 4 on the pain scale. I am not showing significant shortening yet. My BH started at 16 weeks, I also have irritable uterus.

Attachments

• 11911627_10154201725802814_1282501015_n.jpg
    11911627_10154201725802814_1282501015_n.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly