RELACTATING- Gave up BF @3wks, she latched herself on this morning!

TheNewMrs

Reaction score
Welcome to my relactation journey. Please feel free to follow, comment, ask questions, give advice and or support...

I drove myself potty with BF at the start. I had a traumatic CSection, awful recovery, poor latch, cracked bleeding nipples and PTS. So for my sanity I switched to FF. anyway my breasts never really went down.

This morning I was showering. Baby was sleeping in her bouncy chair on bathroom floor. She started to cry so I left the shower and lifted her (I hate to see her cry for anything and usually spot hate problem before she cries) she latched straight on!!! When I moved her after a few mins there was milk leaking from the breast she was on AND the other one...

Would it be possible to even build back up enough of a supple after having stopped completely for 3weeks, so that i could maybe even combi feed or am insane?

Many ladies have successfully re-lactated after more than just 3 weeks. I'd give it a go if you really wanted to try! Let her try at any opportunity! I'm sure more experienced ladies can explain how-to a bit more, but I wanted to let you know it is do-able!

Yes, its my understanding that its possible, look up the 'kellymom' website for good info.

Good luck, any breast milk you can give will be really beneficial.

Aw that made me smile, and yes it is more than possible, if your up for it then give it a go, click on the kellymom link above, it's very informative. Xx

Thanks ladies. She was on again for 15 mins on one side and 10 on the other and has been sleeping since. She fell asleep feeding so I left her to it. I think I'll offer her breast at each feeding, let her have what she can get then offer formula if she's still hungry. That way her sucking is letting my body know to make more.

I did notice she wa quite rough for the last 2-4 mins of feeding each side probably coz she was still hungry and my breasts were empty , but it seems the area where the areola meets the actual nipple has hacked a little. Would that be from the nipple elongating again or from her pulling as they emptied?

It's definitely possible - the kellymom site has already been mentioned and has some useful info about relactation. The fact that she latched is a really good start.

There would be no harm in trying if it's what you want but please don't put too much pressure on yourself if you're unsure- the most important thing is that your LO is fed and happy and that you are happy too :flower:

That said, having a read of the kellymom site to see what's involved would give you a better idea of whether it's for you, and hopefully some ladies with experience of it will be along soon to offer some advice too.

Thanks so much! It will mean breaking our routine and finding a new one. I've been on kellymom and can't seem to find much on realacting. I'll just have to offer her breast every hour or two to keep them empty and boost supply. I don't mind if I have to combi feed her, I'd jist love to be able to even partially BF, I don't think I ever got over the fact that I failed and felt I should have tried harder. I'd love to be able to give her even the tiniest amount of breast milk ifi could at all.

I love hearing this!

Breastfeeding is such a rewarding experience I am glad to see when others are able to experience it.

Good job! :)

try these https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/ and https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

I don`t know if it`s all the hormones pumping around my body, but I got quite emotional reading this :blush:

I've never heard of relactating before, wishing you every success

Hi Ladies,
So I've managed to replace an entire feed for BF!!! I am thrilled!! I was extremely broken hearted when I failed a few weeks ago. I cannot believe this is happening. There is nothing in the world that can compare to having your baby fed, comforted and feeling safe at your breast.

So I'm offering the breast at every feeding. I had given her a paci which I've taken away now, except for night time. Every time she needs to suck I offer her breast. If she's sleeping and it's been more than 2hours, I pump. Even if barely anything comes out I still pump. For about 5mins after the milk stops on each side.

Please feel free to follow this thread, post your advice, cheer me on or just follow our journey!!

I am so excited. :)

Fantastic news, I'll be following you on this journey. Your gonna do fab. Xxx

This is so lovely! Good luck!

That is brilliant. Keep going momma and let us know how its going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->