Removing an IUD

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the right section???

I currently have a Mirena IUD. We have now decided we really want another, I want another like now. I plan to just have a midwife and do a home water birth, I don't have health insurance so we will just be paying out of pocket for that. But that also means I don't have insurance to get my IUD removed. From a lot of things I'm reading all the dr does is pull it out by the strings...which I could do. Some people are saying that have/would do it on places I'm reading. I don't mind paying to have it done, but if I can just do it myself I think I"m ok doing just that. I really don't know yet. But I'm just wondering if anyone actually HAS removed theirs?

I work with a girl who cut her cervix removing (well trying to remove) her own IUD to avoid having to miss work for a docs appointment but she ended up in hospital anyway! I don't know if that was a one off due to something she did or if it really is important you get someone qualified to do it. I personally wouldn't risk it but the mere thought makes me squeeze my pelvic floor like you wouldn't believe! Do take into consideration that if it goes wrong you could end up paying much more out. Good luck and let us know what you decide xxx

Hi, I would recommend you have it removed by a qualified doctor. I recently had mine taken out and although its a simple procedure, its not something I would have been able to do myself. It only took a couple of minutes to be taken out. The doctor did a internal exam to check the threads were hanging through the cervix then used a surgical clip to pull them out. There was a dull aching pain as the threads were being tugged on but once it was removed the pain stopped. I think the people removing it themselves are taking a risk that I personally would not want to take.

Hope everything goes ok!

Good Luck!

Yeah I decided not to do it :) I did find quite a few others that had done it but in the end I just can't. I talked to my DH more tonight and we have decided to wait til the end of the year because if I get it out now and don't get pregnant in May we'll end up with another baby born in the 2mo we have 4 of our 5 bdays now so we don't want to do that so we are going to wait unitl after summer and get it out and try. But I'm a bit sad I really wanted to get pregnant right away but it's not too far off. so looks like I'll be joining you ladies over here for awhile!

This will be a bigger gap than with the others huh ^^

Definitely don't pull it out - you can damage your cervix. Also, be super careful not to get pregnant whilst you are WTT and have an IUD. I accidentally got pregnant with a copper-T coil and it became ectopic because it couldn't implant in my uterus.

Sorry just realised that sounds really scary - I didn't mean it to be! I know its really really rare to get pregnant whilst on the coil (my mum had one after me for the rest of her life and she didn't get pregnant), but it happened to me and I'd hate it to happen to anyone else - I know its especially hard when youre WTT.

We don't use anything to prevent pregnancy other than the IUD, no pull out or condoms but I've had it for over 2 1/2hrs with no issues so I think I'm ok, I'm just going to keep it in til after the summer

Yep this one will be our biggest gap which kind of makes me sad too. I worry they won't be as close.

Landon and Casen are almost exactly 2yrs apart
Casen and Hayden are almost exactly 2 1/2yrs apart

So Hayden and this one would be almost 4yrs apart :(

I'm so glad you decided against trying to remove it alone, i was a bit worried about you! I want a small gap between mine but i think between this our baby and the one after there will have to be a bigger gap. I'm not too happy about it but i have spina biffida and my back will really need time to recover! There is 4 years between my sister and i and we are very close so try not to worry about it xxxx

I'm hoping if it's a girl it will be even better having the bigger gap, 3 protective big brothers to watch over her :) I worry more if it ends up being another boy they would be too far but maybe not. Thanks

There is 8 years between my brother and i and we're even closer! It depends on the personalities more than the ages xxx

Thanks that makes me feel better :)

We really focus on being close as a family, all of our free time is spent together. My oldest's favorite thing is to be with us, not out with friends. Which I mean he's only 7 and he does have tons of friends but he loves just being with us. All 3 of the boys now are really close and I love that, I would hate for a younger sibling to feel left out of that bond they have

Good I'm really glad! Sorry if I was being overly dramatic there - it was a recent experience and I am a worrier! I know it is a much more reliable form of contraception if you have already had babies :D Good luck for TTC, hope your wait isn't too long and you get a fast BFP! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->