Research "Supplement CoQ10 could be key to pregnancy for older women"

Hi, I am newly posting here but have read thru many many threads. Thought I'd add here an article that suggests 200-300 mg of ubiquinol may be most beneficial. The benefits of taking that extra 1 or 2 hundred mgs is 8 fold at least according to article. Interesting...

Oooops...forgot the link! Here is the article:

.......well, since I have not posted before I cannot yet add links to my posts...so if interested google the Life Extension magazine for the article on ubiquinol. I think they sell ubiquinol but all ubiquinol comes from the Kaneka corp. regardless of brand.

Here is the link ;)
https://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/jan2007_report_coq10_01.htm

Hi Ladies

I hope you all don't mind if I join this group. After reading this entire thread today I went out and brought C0Q10 and started on 300mg per day.Will be interesting to see if it works.

We have been TTC since October of last year and so far have had no luck. I'm also on a B6 complex as I have problems with a short luteal phase, last month I had a 15 day luteal phase, up from an average of 9 (and as low as 6) so I'm really happy with that. Have an appointment with a FS on Thursday to hopefully have some tests done to see why we're having no luck TTC.

Good luck clunky! Hope your new regiment helps you get your BFP!!

Hi all, I'm new to posting in this forum, but I've been lurking for a while - lots of great info here! I'm 39 and have been TTC for a twelve-year time span, with three miscarriages and a 7-year break in the middle. I would give my right arm (and maybe even a leg, and certainly all of my toes) just to have one successful pregnancy. But since no one has offered me that deal, my plan is to try everything else.

I've been scratching my head over which type of CoQ10 to take, and just found an article that does a great job of explaining the difference between the regular version and Ubiquinol.

I can't post the link to the original article because this is my first post, but you can Google the author, Byron J. Richards, and/or the title, "Taking Q10 for a Test Drive – Is Ubiquinol Better?"

Here are the most relevant bits of info:
There are indeed two forms of Q10. Ubiquinone is the form of Q10 that has been around a long time as a dietary supplement ... From this point on I will refer to it as energy-Q10. Ubiquinol is the reduced form of Q10, which means it is able to deactivate free radicals whereas energy-Q10 does not. From this point on I will refer to ubiquinol as antioxidant-Q10.

The first thing to understand about these two forms of Q10 is that they are kept in a state of balance with each other. This means that if you take either form of Q10, some of it is readily converted to the other form to maintain this condition of equilibrium.

The next thing to understand is that it is incredibly easy for your body to convert energy-Q102 into antioxidant-Q10, which happens within a few hours of consuming it.

The reason I call the older form of this nutrient energy-Q10 is because it is the form of Q10 that is used in your mitochondria to make energy ... Furthermore, this energy-Q10 is turning out to be a major cell communication regulation molecule, as it has been shown to significantly activate over 694 different genes! This includes the reduction of the primary inflammatory gene signal, NF-kappaB. The energy-Q10 form also enables you to activate uncoupling proteins when you exercise, increasing the amount of fat you can burn off.

The truth of the matter is that your body needs both of these forms of Q10 for different purposes. They even occupy different places in your cell membranes. When energy-Q10 is not in use within cells to make energy, it can be found in the middle of the lipid bilayer of the cell membrane. Antioxidant Q10 permeates through the entire lipid bilayer, so it can protect the cell and cell membrane from free radical damage, while also helping to recycle vitamin E and C to keep them active as antioxidants. Antioxidant-Q10 protects your energy-producing mitochondria from free radical damage, thus indirectly supporting energy production.

What is interesting about the new antioxidant-Q10 is that it may have advantages in metabolic situations of significant free radical distress – after all it is the form of Q10 that is the antioxidant. One small study of six patients with advanced congestive heart failure showed that antioxidant-Q10 was much more effective than energy-Q10. A new study also shows that the antioxidant-Q10, like energy-Q10, has anti-inflammatory properties.

Thus, patients with high levels of circulatory-related free radical problems or who are at high risk for LDL oxidizing and forming plaque may find that antioxidant-Q10 works best for them. This would include type II diabetics or others with significant health problems. However, there are no clear cut studies on this at this time, just a reasonable theory.

I generally run six miles, three to four times a week (I’m 54, healthy). I found a dose of antioxidant-Q10 that I could tell a dramatic difference in energy, oxygenation during running, and metabolic response. That dose turned out to be 500 mg – higher than most people would take (Q10 is typically taken at the dose of 100 mg – 300 mg per day).

To make a long story short, I found that a dose of 800 mg of energy-Q10 with the crystal-free technology produced a very similar energy, oxygen, and metabolic response to the 500 mg of antioxidant-Q10.

My conclusion is that I like both forms of Q10. If all the Q10 products were exactly the same price per mg, I would take the antioxidant-Q10. I think it does work a little bit better...

Unfortunately, this article doesn't specifically address how CoQ10 and Ubiquinol work in relation to fertility, but I think I'm going to take a bit of both, just to make sure I've got all bases covered - 400 mg of regular CoQ10 and 200 mg of Ubiquinol.

Sonja have you tried DHEA as well? I've read that the NY center for infertility has been using it for women with depleated reserves or older women who's eggs may have chromosomal abnormalities(leading to m/c's). I'm trying everything anyway. The doc said my ovaries look like I'm mid 40's, that was a hard pill to swallow being only 36!
I'd love to know what else you're trying, i've just read about black cohash last night, it's had loads of studies and it's on the chinese herbal remedy side. But the fact that there are studies makes me happy to try.
The studies about black cohashhttps://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/supplements-and-miscarriage/black-cohosh
Here's my regiment:
400mgx2/day CoQ10 ubiquinol, source www.naturalbiology.com/product_p/coq10vege.htm
royal jelly
folic acid 2-5 mg/day
DHEA NY center for infertility uses this source: https://www.dhea.com/home.php and here's the interview with the doc from NY center for reproductive health https://www.centerforhumanreprod.com/premature_ovaries.html
EPO 3000mg/day split into twice/day
black cohash (Nature's Way) 40 mg/day cd1-cd12
Vit E8 400 iu spoke to the CoQ10 manufacturer and he says that when taken with E it's supposed to absorb even better
maca root (hubbie and I both take this)
vit C at least 1000mg/day
B complex
D x 2000mg/day
progesterone cream from cd21-28

I think we should be taking zinc too but this is enough to keep me broke and hoping it's a good stab at running an optimal fertility machine.

Mid-40s? Oh man. Hopefully he meant a very fertile woman in her mid-40s. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I've not tried DHEA yet, but I'm all for anything that might perk up my poor old eggs! I have to do my research carefully before trying anything new, though, because I'm hypothyroid and certain things can interact with my meds. My situation is a bit complicated because, in addition to having elderly eggs, I have immune and blood clotting issues which may be at least partially responsible for my recurrent miscarriages.

I recently learned about CCRM's protocol for PCOS/aging eggs and have added a modified version of it to my regiment. The original list includes melatonin, but that's supposed to be more for the PCOS people (which I'm not) and I've heard it can interfere with ovulation so it's maybe not so good to take unless you're planning a stimulated cycle. Anyway, this is what I'm taking at the moment:

CoQ10 - 400 mg (200 mg, 2x daily)
Ubiquitol - 200 mg (100 mg, 2x daily)
L-argnine - 2000 mg (1000 mg, 2x daily)
Myo-inositol 4 mg (2 mg, 2x daily)
Omega-3 - 840 mg
Vitamin C - 500 mg
Vitamin E - 200 mg
Prenatal vitamin
Vitamin B12 (P-5-P) 25 mg
Vitamin B6 (methylcobalamin) 500 mcg
Metafolin (activated version of folic acid) 800 mcg

The last three things on the list are activated forms of B-vitamin supplements that are supposed to help for certain immune-related issues. Also, some of the things on that list - like the myo-inositol - target insulin sensitivity, which is, again, more for the PCOS peeps, but I figure it couldn't hurt because I have a strong family history of diabetes/insulin resistance and could do with some insurance against that sort of thing.

Cripes, those supplements are expensive! :shock: May need a second job to pay for my new pill habit. Also, I couldn't find the myo-inositol in any shops where I live, so had to order it online.

Thanks for the info about black cohash. Looks like it's supposed to help with ovulation? I'd never heard of it before, but funnily enough, I just saw scads of it at Whole Foods today. Must be pretty popular. I don't think ovulation is so much of a problem for me, though...I get pregnant, just can't make those babies stick!

I've heard Royal Jelly helps, but I haven't been able to find any legit scientific studies backing it up. Do you take Evening Primrose Oil throughout your cycle, or just from Day 1 to ovulation? This month was my first cycle on Clomid, and I noticed I didn't get any EWCM, so I might start taking it next cycle.

You're lucky your guy is willing to take supplements. My DH just looks at me like I'm crazy when I suggest it!

I'm 36, this site seems to carry alot of info about m/c and often relates to infertility too: https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/
I've read a little about both the clotting stuff and thyroid condition, often the supplements will be contraindicated with the medication...harumph! Are you on synthroid to deal with it? I thought aspirin was good to take in the tww while on chlomid until I read the studies about it. It can cause abnormalities and prevent implantation argggh & whoops! You've listed alot of things I haven't heard about, I'll have to do some more reading :)
No you're right, I don't think there's studies to back royal jelly but seeing that it contains so many vits, I thought it could only be good. I found the EPO great to help with lining and cm while on chlomid, and drink a tonne of water, it dried me out so much. But you also take omega oils and this will help too. I do omega oil in our morning shakes (I just pour couple tablespoons in instead of capsules-caps are more$$) along with the Vit C (EmergenC brand powder with B complex) and maca. He can't taste the goodness that way and if I put protein powder in there and they're sweet he likes them! The things we do...:winkwink::shrug:

That website is great. I love how it lays out all the fertility factors in one place on the left.

Yeah, when I lived in London I saw Dr. Etienne Horner (who is awesome) at St Mary's Recurrent Miscarriage Clinic and he recommended taking taking 150 mg of aspirin - but only after getting a BFP. A lot of people are told to take aspirin throughout their cycles, though. I think the dose and timing is based on the kind of problem you have. Definitely not recommended unless you're treating a known issue! I didn't know it could cause abnormalities...that's a bit worrying...

I don't have an RE here in California yet because we've just moved and are still trying to find health insurance that covers infertility (oh how I miss the NHS!), so I've just been working with my gyno, who's great at regular gyno stuff but isn't really an infertility expert.

Oh Sonja, I wish you good luck with the insurance company hunting in the States. If the condition is preexisting you may have troubles. I've heard so many terrible stories about how those corp try to avoid paying claims.

Have you seen the numbers on the original soft cup thread? I was reading this the other day thinking I should get some for the next few months and then another thread popped up: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-to-conceive/1054705-does-happen.html
Here's the original thread. https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-to-conceive /173508-softcups.html
I'll have to give this a try.

Oh, there's an idea. Actually, DH sometimes gets performance anxiety when my fertile time comes around (too much pressure!), so maybe he'd have an easier time putting his little guys into a softcup instead. Then again, maybe it would just weird him out! :p

I think I'll do the dirty and then without moving prop up and put it in trying to avoid the tidal forces lol.

I finally decided to increase my dose from 30-50 to 300 a day having been taking COQ10 for 6 months without any progress but just found out that my FSH has gone up since last year and is now 14.3. Something has to be done! Will be trying higher dose of CoQ10 - 300 mg (100 mg, 3x daily). Just spent 80 pounds on it in boots and it will only lasts for 1.5 months for me and hubby, so expensive. decided against Ubiquinol version cos it seems far more expensive.

Briss try Naturesbest online for Co Q10 100mg at quite a reasonable price.

peacebaby thank you! indeed it's like twice the price! I think this is the last time I bought supplements on high street, on line prices are so much cheaper

Hi ladies....said I would return and update you if any news...been taking co-enzyme for a few months now 120mg and got this result this afternoon! fingers crossed.....:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Please please God let this be a sticky little bean and may this line get even darker in days to come...I am currently around 17dpo...am hoping its a positive!

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3
Prickly, congratulations!! it's definitely a positive! it's really inspiring :) so you think COQ10 did the trick? can I ask what is your FSH?

Prickly, congratulations!! it's definitely a positive! it's really inspiring :) so you think COQ10 did the trick? can I ask what is your FSH?

Thanks for the reply - the fertility consultant I saw in January tested me for everything going (!), but said she didn't feel my FSH warranted being tested as it can vary so much from month to month...the new AMH testing is more reliable she said, as an indicator of your ovarian reserve...the only way to truly tell the quality of one's eggs is via IVF she said...she gave me good odds of conceiving naturally within a year, with sperm quality and timing and cervical mucus all things being equal (sorry tmi!)...but I have used so many techniques and supplements all these years...I figured co-Q10 was worth a go...combined with high dose fish oils...I certainly felt a lot more energetic after a couple of months of the Q10!
I used softcups for a couple of months - BFN's despite timing being optimal.
I only BD'd once this month - on the day of my LH surge!
Fingers crossed....:hugs::hugs:

Prickly, thank you very much! I was asking my FS for AMH but she said i cant get it under the NHS but probably i should do it privately just to check whether things are really bad

Hey girls! :wave: I thought I would come back in and post too. I have been taking CoQ10 about 6 months now and just got my BFP today. I am hoping that the change in my meds this time around helps make this pregnancy a successful one!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->