Restless legs, water retention and swelling

KLP83

Mum of 1 - no 2 1st tri!
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm sorry as this is pretty trivial compared to what some of you are having to go through but it's to the point now where I just don't know what to do anymore.

I am 28 weeks pregnant this Thursday so still 12 weeks to go and for the pst 4 weeks or so have had restless and achy legs every single night. I can't sleep, I can't sit still, I can't lie still, its awful.
Now I am getting swollen ankles and yesterday I had a physical indent of about 1cm where my socks had been - think its water retention but it makes walking difficult.

Still have a while to go and finding it really getting me down. Anyone know of any remedies or things that can help me please?
x

I hear you! I never swelled with either of my first 2, but started with the sock indent with this one (#3) at about 30 weeks. My MW has suggested many things, some work, some don't. Water. Lots of it. Try it with lemon, lime, a couple of crushed raspberries, anything. ironically, when my swelling got really bad this last couple of weeks, shiny, really sore feet and hands, couldn't make a fist at times, she recommended an increase in my salt intake. I eat a VERY low sodium diet and within a day of increasing my salt, the swelling had decreased by more than half. Increase your calcium and magnesium, both help to transport materials across cellular boundaries (including water). Swimming, it's amazing how this non impact exercise in cool water has brought down the swelling and made me feel a thousand times better. It gets the blood pumping and helps to re-absorb the fluids that are accumulating. And the most difficult one to meet, was the requirement that I sit down with my feet up for 10-15 mins out of every 60. The good news is, it gives baby some active time that partially replaces the acrobatics in the middle of the night so hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone: decrease swelling and teach baby that afternoons are for playing and nights are for sleeping...

So glad its not just me! I have been getting awful restless legs for a good few weeks now they start as soon as i sit down to relax of an evening it drives me mad and nothing helps :( my legs and feet have also recently starting to swell :growlmad: i've been doing a prenatal yoga dvd once or twice a week to see if stretching them out and incresing the blood flow works..got to say they do seem to be a little bit better.

I've been having restless legs as well. I had it in third tri with my first baby, too. It's normal for me. I also had swelling with my first baby but don't have any with this pregnancy yet. I tried diabetic socks to get the circulation going better, but I could never keep them on because I'd get too hot with socks on. Taking more breaks throughout the day and putting your feet up might help with the swelling. Also, increasing water and decreasing salt intake might help, too. It all depends. It IS normal to get swelling by the end of the day, especially when you're on your feet a lot. Just be careful and mention it to your doctor if you wake up with swollen feet or hands. Just to be on the safe side. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->