Restless legs?!

MeggieMoo88

Waiting 4 our little man!
Reaction score
:cry: :cry: I have achy restless legs every single night...its really getting me down now as I just can't get comfy at all....can't enjoy my evenings because of it at all :nope: end up walking around as that kind of helps, all I want to do is sit down and relax though!

Does anyone know anything I can do to help this? Or is it just another one of them pregnancy things that only disappear after the birth??

x

Afraid it is one of the pregnancy things :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I have it too and it is a complete nightmare. What I found helped a bit was showering your legs just before going to bed with ice cold water helps. Also a small massage.

But apart from that - nothing :hugs:

Massaging the muscles helps, someone mentioned in a similar thread about soaking in a bath before bed.

Also, try increasing your dairy - I have a lot of milk and yoghurt's and that eases it. I was a bit skeptical of this at first but it really does work. I can tell when I haven't drunk enough.

It also depends on what chair I am sat on before I go to bed or how I am sat on it. The nice confy couch is a no no sometimes!

The problem is the more tired I get the more my leg twitches and the more my leg twitches the harder it is to sleep!

:hugs: it is really annoying x

RLS all depends on what's causing it. Pregnancy, in general, kicks it up pretty bad but it can also be caused by genetics, neurological disorder, nerve disorder and dietary deficiencies. I've been dealing with RLS for a couple years before I go pregnant. The best place to start looking for a solution is with dietary deficiencies.

There's 3 main mineral deficiencies that can cause RLS to kick up... potassium, magnesium and iron. It's usually iron that causes the problems during pregnancy. If you haven't already been checked for anemia then bring it up with your caregiver and ask for a blood test. If your iron is low then a supplement will help ease it. But don't just start taking supplements without talking to someone first.

Unfortunately, potassium and magnesium levels can't be measured as easily via blood test so for those, you just have to start eating the right foods and see if that helps. For poatssium, try eating a banana or two every day. You can also try tomatoes, plums/prunes or a glass or 2 of orange juice. If, after a week or two, you don't see any improvement then you can try magnesium.

Magnesium absorption is my problem. I tend to take in a LOT of dairy, between drinking milk and eating a ton of cheese. Too much calcium can inhibit magnesium absorption. Try eating a couple of cups of spinach a day as well as switching to whole grain foods and cereals. If after a few weeks, you don't see a difference then your RLS maybe caused by something else.

Some other simple things you can do is stretching your legs before bed, walking before bed, soaking in a warm soak with epsom salt, deep tissue massage or hot/cold compresses. Also, try cutting your caffeine intake back. General rule of thumb is no caffeine products (including tea) after about 5 or 6 in the evening.

Like I said, my RLS is someone accentuated by a magnesium deficiency so I started taking 500mg of magnesium every day. It took about 2 1/2-3 weeks to notice a difference but now I have far fewer episodes. The ones I do have tend to be taken care of with some massage or a shower.

I have RLS when not pregnant, and it gets worse when pregnant. But hasn't gotten worse yet. Try putting a pillow under your legs, or sitting in the bath tub with warm water running on them.

Thanks so much for all your tips, going to try a combination of them all....sounds like it is probably my diet that is causing it though so will try a few of Bam's suggestions!

Going to try and have a bath every night too as this has helped I have noticed.

Meg
x

I get it when preggo too, and I know it's my from my lower back being out. Either see a chiro,or what I do is have my hubby massage my lower back, really hard. It makes it so that it will stop, and I can sleep..So annoying! When I am hugely preggo, I have to get on all fours, and rest my head down, and he just pushes on my back in anupwards motion...Sometimes, I have to wake him up to do this, but either way, it takes care of it.

I have this prob.. hate it soo annoying.

Right i have had enough! BEEN TO BED AND BACK UP AGAIN! Legs are so restless, and i even had a cool shower before i got in bed! GOD ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!!!!!!!

I started the same thread a few days ago and one of the ladies gave me the following attachment to look at.
I haven't had to try this "remedy" yet, because my RL comes and goes. But since I know how annoying it can be...here it is:

Let me know what happens, doesn't cost you anything to give it a try :shrug:

https://www2.babyandbump.com/?id=37...eoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

I started the same thread a few days ago and one of the ladies gave me the following attachment to look at.
I haven't had to try this "remedy" yet, because my RL comes and goes. But since I know how annoying it can be...here it is:

Let me know what happens, doesn't cost you anything to give it a try :shrug:

https://www2.babyandbump.com/?id=37...eoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

hehe that was me :blush:
give it a go hun it might help :hugs:

Soap didn't work for me as it usually only works for restless legs that are caused or accompanied by cramps. If your restlessness is caused by a mineral deficiency then you could put a case of soap under sheets and it wouldn't do you a bit of good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->