Retained placenta/placental abruption

xQuinnx

Reaction score
I gave birth just under a month ago, the pregnancy was normal and considered low risk. After the birth I had a retained placenta and had to go to theatre to have it removed (part of it came out after birth but part remained). Part way through labour I had a bleed that was much heavier then a normal period and went into hospital. I continued to bleed throughout labour probably soaking a maternity pad every couple of hours at least. The midwives throughout kept saying to me they thought it could be 'a really bloody show' however were concerned about babies heart rate and I was monitored and on fluids throughout. I wasn't every told what the cause of the bleeding was :-/ has anyone experienced something similar? Could the bleeding have been related to the placenta? Can it affect future pregnancy/labour? I'm planning to speak to my doctor about it at my 6 week check but that's not for a couple of weeks and I keep wondering about it.

They generally can confirm what the issue was by examining the placenta. IN my case they could only tell I had a placenta abruption after delivery once they examined my placenta to find out what the cause was for my excess bleeding and painful rapid contractions.

I suggest you get this followed up and see if they did any further examinations to let you know exactly what happened... it's only fair that you're given an explanation.

IN my case my swcond pregnancy so far has been perfect. Just a normal pregnancy, nothing like the issues I had with my DS leading up to the traumatic birth. I haven't gone into labor yet though so ill have to see how that part all goes....

I have heard of many women having normal labors though after things like abruptions...

Find out exactly what went on for you hun. You need to know these things.

Thank you. I definitely want to know it's niggling away in the back of my mind. Good luck with your labour :) x

With my first pregnancy i had a retained placenta and had to have it manually removed after giving birth. With my second pregnancy i was really worried for the whole time incase it happened again and they couldn't tell me if it would or not, I had a scan at 37 weeks to check the efficiency of placenta and umbilical cord and all was fine. After my second labour they tried to get the placenta out almost immediately instead of waiting 30 minutes and thankfully after only a little fuss it came out. Hopefully you'll be fine next time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->