Rhogam shot after miscarriage?

happynewmom1

Reaction score
Looks like I'm back here. I quickly got negative pregnancy tests after my mc last month but got new positives last weekend. Today I have a horrible backache and am bleeding. I was reading about the rhogam shot. I had it with both of my first pregnancies as I am rh-. I read one should get it after miscarriage.. But then I saw there isn't strong evidence to say it really effects future pregnancies. We thought we would go get it somewhere today but it is money out of our savings and we aren't sure if it's necessary or what is causing the problem. Does anyone have any insight?

I can't say I have any real info as I'm rhesus + and had a d&C, but I do know it was something they needed to know and they commented on the fact that I was + so would not require the shot. So I figure it is required xx

Yeah I'm finding conflicting information on it. I guess if a d&c it's always required, but if it's natural and under 10 weeks it isn't necessary. But then some places say it still is. We will likely do it to be on the safe side but it looks like different doctors think differently on it. Sigh. :(

I started mc at around 8 weeks naturally (although I did end up needing a d&c). I ended up getting the shot in the ER. My doctor said to go within 48 hours of when I started bleeding (or was it 72 hrs?). I do think it matters more the farther along the pregnancy was, but I really don't know what the right call is. I have high-deductible insurance so it was not cheap. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Is there anyway to reach an on-call doctor before paying for a visit somewhere? I just realized it's been one week since the BFP. That's really early and I think the concern is blood mixing, right? (Sorry, that's definitely not sophisticated medical terminology I'm using!)

Is there anyway to reach an on-call doctor before paying for a visit somewhere? I just realized it's been one week since the BFP. That's really early and I think the concern is blood mixing, right? (Sorry, that's definitely not sophisticated medical terminology I'm using!)

Yes you're right.. That would be the concern I think. It hasn't been that long since the bfp though so I was unsure. We didn't get one after the first mc though either and I was 6 weeks as I didn't know then we should. We were going to go today but we didn't end up doing it after researching it some more. I tried calling different places but nobody could apparently give me any advice over the phone which is so dumb. But whatever.. Apparently I couldn't just go in and get the shot which we could have afforded out of pocket but they would do a blood test first. Makes sense but the blood test is so so expensive without insurance. We are looking into different insurances at the moment but here it's seriously expensive too. So I didn't get the shot and I'm praying we didn't do harm by not :( such a rough day. :cry: thank you so much for the reply!

I'm so sorry it's such a bad day! :( It's insane that your doctor/their triage nurse won't tell you what to do! I called mine and he said go the hospital where he delivers and tell them you're my patient. I wish I knew how this works. The system is cruel. If it's any help, both my mil and grandmother were sensitized after their first pregnancies and then had 4 and 5 healthy children, respectively. I guess ignorance is bliss. But I understand your fear in a time that's already stressful. xo

I'm so sorry it's such a bad day! :( It's insane that your doctor/their triage nurse won't tell you what to do! I called mine and he said go the hospital where he delivers and tell them you're my patient. I wish I knew how this works. The system is cruel. If it's any help, both my mil and grandmother were sensitized after their first pregnancies and then had 4 and 5 healthy children, respectively. I guess ignorance is bliss. But I understand your fear in a time that's already stressful. xo

I truly appreciate that and needed to hear it! Yes.. I think being ignorant is sometimes better with things like this as sometimes we worry for nothing. The miscarriages may not have even been connected at all. Who knows. Thanks again :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->