Rolf Harris jailed.

Nasty stupid man!!

I remember watching things like animal hospital and just seeing him on tv :(

I wanted to know something because I know nothing on how this works but how comes all the victims came forward recently for Jimmy saville, Rolf and the other one I forget his name??!! Was they too scared to report before or did they report and nothing was ever done about it?

Babyjan,

It was a mixture of both. It was mainly happened at a time when people turned a blind eye to that type of thing (or it was more accepted back then), especially with Jimmy Saville. Despite being a monster, he raised a lot of money for charities and it was a case that "well if we arrested him, the charities would lose out." He was untouchable at the time. There was also the evidence side, it was mainly their word against the celeb. A well liked celeb, raising a lot of money, against a say 16 year old 'crazed fan.' Jimmy couldn't possibly be guilty could he?!

I get the feeling a few more celebs from that time will come out of the woodwork.

It does me make wonder if there are any false claims though, jumping on bandwagon as they say.

That's what happened to Bill Roache, you're bound to get some lunatics who just want a piece of the drama because it's all happening in celeb land. That's part of the reason I feel a bit torn on whether or not I believe they should be named publicly before being found guilty. On one hand it may encourage others to come forwards, on the other it could ruin someone's reputation and put them through unnecessary distress as mud often sticks! I strongly believe that if you make a false claim about someone though, you wave your right to anonymity and should be charged yourself!

Rant over :haha:

That's what happened to Bill Roache, you're bound to get some lunatics who just want a piece of the drama because it's all happening in celeb land. That's part of the reason I feel a bit torn on whether or not I believe they should be named publicly before being found guilty. On one hand it may encourage others to come forwards, on the other it could ruin someone's reputation and put them through unnecessary distress as mud often sticks! I strongly believe that if you make a false claim about someone though, you wave your right to anonymity and should be charged yourself!

Rant over :haha:

I believe s country has this law but personally I think that it should be illegal to name an individual until they are found guilty. Too many people's lives are ruined through false accusations

I agree and disagree. In the public eye at least it gives the opportunity for more victims to come forward but as you say its unfair if its just someone wanting their 15minutes. In the case of bill roache he said some disturbing things, how it was ok to look at a child, rape is brought on themselves, and people need to be more understanding and forgiving of paedophiles. You can see that he has the mentality to do something if those are his views.

I was totally taken in with his whole image and nice guy act. His punishment does not fit the crime! :-(

Nasty stupid man!!

I remember watching things like animal hospital and just seeing him on tv :(

I wanted to know something because I know nothing on how this works but how comes all the victims came forward recently for Jimmy saville, Rolf and the other one I forget his name??!! Was they too scared to report before or did they report and nothing was ever done about it?

I don't know about Rolf Harris but with Jimmy Saville it was reported that a lot of girls went to the police at the time but nothing was done about it because of his fame.

It makes me sick to think what other secrets have been hidden for the sake of celebrities. Those poor children :nope:

im still skeptical about most of these kinds of stories, yes any man that does anything like that is a sick sick person and deserves a life sentence,. but, i dontk now, something just doesnt quite settle when all of a sudden all these celebs are being done for all this, yeah i get that one person speaks up and it gives others the courage to do so, or maybe it gives others a excuse to make things up, in all fairness i bet they get some sort of compo dont they.. im not saying all the people are liars and these celebs are innocent, but when it happened so long ago theres just no definitive proof that it really did happen, its just taking someones word. maybe the jury feel they have to find a celeb guilty so that the public dont think he was found not guilty due to his fame etc...

im still skeptical about most of these kinds of stories, yes any man that does anything like that is a sick sick person and deserves a life sentence,. but, i dontk now, something just doesnt quite settle when all of a sudden all these celebs are being done for all this, yeah i get that one person speaks up and it gives others the courage to do so, or maybe it gives others a excuse to make things up, in all fairness i bet they get some sort of compo dont they.. im not saying all the people are liars and these celebs are innocent, but when it happened so long ago theres just no definitive proof that it really did happen, its just taking someones word. maybe the jury feel they have to find a celeb guilty so that the public dont think he was found not guilty due to his fame etc...

I have had the occasional thought like this, do i believe Jimmy Saville was a prolific peadophile and abuser? Yes. But i'm not quite sure i believe the number is in the thousands, perhaps not? I absolutely believe that many of the claims are genuine but i do wonder if others who met him perhaps are jumpin on? Is that awful?
In the Rolf Harris case the only one i struggle with is Vanessa Feltz because she has always been so outspoken and yet she kept quiet that he assaulted her and he apparently did it live on tv?!

I was totally and utterly shocked. I watched him as a child and he always came across as a very nice man. But then I suppose people can be very good at hiding who they really are x

I have had the occasional thought like this, do i believe Jimmy Saville was a prolific peadophile and abuser? Yes. But i'm not quite sure i believe the number is in the thousands, perhaps not? I absolutely believe that many of the claims are genuine but i do wonder if others who met him perhaps are jumpin on? Is that awful?
In the Rolf Harris case the only one i struggle with is Vanessa Feltz because she has always been so outspoken and yet she kept quiet that he assaulted her and he apparently did it live on tv?!

yeah like i said im not saying all of the celebs are completely innocent, but i just think that some people were jumping the gun, seeing how easy it was to say all this while still being annon.. i just dont really know what to believe if im honest, i really dont know if they are all totally innocent, not innocent at all, or only half of it is made up..

i totally agree with the vanessa felts part!! total bull IMO i guess no one will ever know the full truth apart from those involved, which is why i dont get too riled up about any of it x

yeah like i said im not saying all of the celebs are completely innocent, but i just think that some people were jumping the gun, seeing how easy it was to say all this while still being annon.. i just dont really know what to believe if im honest, i really dont know if they are all totally innocent, not innocent at all, or only half of it is made up..

i totally agree with the vanessa felts part!! total bull IMO i guess no one will ever know the full truth apart from those involved, which is why i dont get too riled up about any of it x

Please don't try and analyse whether someone who you don't know has reacted in what you consider an appropriate way to abuse. Not being believed and judged for lying or attention seeking is a massive factor in people keeping quiet.

Yeah I hardly think you can compare someone's everyday personality with how they deal with being sexually assaulted.

I only questioned that she was sexually assaulted, live on TV and that none of the camera crew or anyone stepped in? That's all i wonder about. I understand where you are both coming from absolutely, but there's been a rise in false claims of sexual assault i don't think that should be swept under the rug either but that's a huge part of real assaults being ignored or not taken seriously. I hope that, if Vanessa was assaulted by him, she now decides to press charges. I do feel that as she has made the accusation so publically it absolutely needs to be taken seriously so that he is trialed and punished for each and every thing he has done.

I only questioned that she was sexually assaulted, live on TV and that none of the camera crew or anyone stepped in? That's all i wonder about. I understand where you are both coming from absolutely, but there's been a rise in false claims of sexual assault i don't think that should be swept under the rug either but that's a huge part of real assaults being ignored or not taken seriously. I hope that, if Vanessa was assaulted by him, she now decides to press charges. I do feel that as she has made the accusation so publically it absolutely needs to be taken seriously so that he is trialed and punished for each and every thing he has done.

I was just questioning the comment about her personality not fitting with her keeping quiet about abuse. It's awful that people didn't step in but clearly that has been the case with a lot of these stories- like Jimmy Saville hardly being discreet with kids on his show- so I don't think it discounts the story?

I was just questioning the comment about her personality not fitting with her keeping quiet about abuse. It's awful that people didn't step in but clearly that has been the case with a lot of these stories- like Jimmy Saville hardly being discreet with kids on his show- so I don't think it discounts the story?

You are completely right, it was wrong of me to assume that. I do hope that she takes it further now and the fact that she felt she could share it so openly now means shes ready to do something legal about it?

As far as the Jimmy Saville case, i am struggling to keep up with the stream of accusations? I read the other day that he molested corpses? Its a lot to deal with i imagine for everyone involved and i hope that they can sort through it and discover exactly what he was guilty of, its awful however that he will never have to pay for any of his crimes.

Has there really been an increase in false claims? Do you have a source for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->