Rural Living...

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
Iv been messagedon homeswapper about a house a mile away from where we are now. We live in a small village, and I live two doors away from my mum. This has advantages and disadvantages as sometimes even though iv got my own house, I feel like I still live at home iykwim.
My kids spend a lot of time round there, to ing and fro ing, and she has helped me out lots recently with an anxiety issue I was having.

This house we are in now has horrendous heating bills, so much so we end up £700+ in debt come the summer. We still owe £500 now.

The newer house is much bigger than this, it has a dining room and was three bed but got made into a two.
It has a 200 foot garden, it has solar panels and ground source heating do not more stupid electric bills.

The only problem is its in the middle of no where, literally. And I don't drive. Although iv just sent my licence thing off to start.

I can walk to my mums, it's just over a mile. So I would be far enough away but close enough if I need her.

I don't know what to do.... Help?
Does anyone live anywhere really really rural?

I live on the right red arrow. The house is really gp hard to see but it's in the middle of both...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 63
No advice but WHHHHAAAAT at ticker?!?!

Aw god Mandy that was a few months ago now. I'm too scared though, it can stay ticking there till I feel brave enough :lol:

Hey hun, I live in the middle of nowhere, we're a 5 min drive from town but it's not walkable because of the roads, and no bus stops!! I do drive so I can't imagine living somewhere where I couldn't. We love it though, my parents live miles away so i'm used to not having them around, although if I could walk to them I would adore that! I feel happier in the countryside than I do in built up areas, clears my mind and I feel like i'm in a little happy bubble most of the time. Have you written a pros and con list? I find that helps me with most decisions xx

I live in the middle of no where, there's no buses, no shops, nothing. I'm a 15-20 min drive from Sainsburys and 25mins from a small town, to get to decent shops it's further. I was brought up here and although I'm not sure I'll stay here forever, it's a lovely area for LO's to grow up in and I love how peaceful and quiet it is, my dog loves it here too :lol:. If I didn't drive though I'd probably not like it, I'd be stuck because I wouldn't be able to get anywhere or to work or anything!

I prob wouldn't intil I could drive I wouldn't like feeling stuck lol

I think you may all have a point! I need to drive :(

I think it would be perfect if you could drive. I'm from a very rural place where all the big things are 40 miles away, and then local amenities were either a very long walk or drivable. I love living in that kind of environment it's great for kids, but when I was 17 it was so annoying being reliant on my parents, my driving licence was my ticket to freedom. Maybe it'll egg you on to learn fast....? Can your mum and OH help with lifts etc?

A mile is nothing hun, it takes about ten minutes to walk one when I walk my dog and about 15-20 babywearing. I think you'd be surprised at how little it is so you'll be close to all transport links in your old town.

A mile is nothing at the end of the day - At all. I'd take it. Cycle, learn to drive.. bus. For the sake of a mile (10-15 minute walk) a house that's much bigger, cheaper and better in the long run would be worth it IMO. :) x

Oh and yes I agree a mile is very little to stress over too :)

I agree a mile is nothing and you are starting to learn to drive so wouldn't be too long before you have that freedom. For the better and cheaper house it sounds worth having to walk that 10-15 mins x

Why don't you walk it when you have some time? See what you think? I would be tempted to go for it. A mile isn't that much, but depends what the road is like, does it have a path or is it a country lane that isn't safe to walk on? X

For the sake of a mile I think it's a great opportunity! It's not too much at all and the house sounds amazing!

Why don't you walk it when you have some time? See what you think? I would be tempted to go for it. A mile isn't that much, but depends what the road is like, does it have a path or is it a country lane that isn't safe to walk on? X

It's a road with no paths, it's so so rural I'd be surprised to see a car tbh but there are big grass verges either side, it's only one road like that then you come onto a small village which has got proper pathways.
Then there is a main road to cross, the A5 and then your back in my old village.

Thankyou all, going to look at it at some point this week :D

A mile is nothing. I wouldnt let a one mile walk put me off, id go for it :)

I'd go for it! A mile will take you hardly any time to walk but will give you a little bit of distance from your mum so you feel more independent but can still have her there in 15 minutes if you need support.

I lived somewhere very remote when I first had Lily. I couldn't drive back then and it was a absolute nightmare to be honest. OH worked all day so I was stuck, I couldn't walk anywhere as it was all tiny back roads and it just wasn't safe with a pram. I only lasted six months there as I felt very isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->