Rusks @ 3 months +

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
My Aunt told all of her kids from 3 months had half a rusk in a full bottle of milk before 'bedtime' - seems thats not the recommened age for rusks on the website though (Farleys) & have seen mentions of it now & then so I'm sort of wondering what you girls think - who does this?

:D

I think its personal choice really, but i personaly wouldnt do it, my sister did it for her daughter to get her to sleep through, but i think a few more months of sleep less nights is far worth it rather than put my baby at risk being as they are still in teh cot death stage.

Rusks have alot of sugar in and are not gultan free, they recomemend no gultan untill 6 months +.

my friend does it aswell, on the flip side, it doesnt seem to do there babies any harm, but its not something i would want to chance myself.

I started giving so;ids to mine when they needed it, normaly around 4 months coz they were big babies, but that was only prureed carrots

x

I personally hate rusks with a passion but each to there own

I would never add anything to a bottle as i don't really see the need for it

I stared both mine with baby rice at about 4 months when they seemed ready for it

Weaning can be from 4 months though so shes one month short of starting to wean her :D

Just wondering the risks of giving rusks? Just curious - thankful for anyones input for or against just after opinions :D x

PS: hope your all well. Ive not been about for couple of days and if I have Ive not been able to pay much attention to the forum x

^Laylas reply ha
I personally hate rusks with a passion but each to there own

I would never add anything to a bottle as i don't really see the need for it

I stared both mine with baby rice at about 4 months when they seemed ready for it

Yer well this is why I ask - Aunts not exactly young and all was different ;) But I'll not tell her that LMAO

Oh i was always told by "older" people to put rusk/babyrice/extra milk in the bottle
But as i understand it if the fluid is too thick it can settle on babies lungs and can cause complications, on the other hand though we all seem to be alright don't we?

PS: hope your all well. Ive not been about for couple of days and if I have Ive not been able to pay much attention to the forum x

think ive figured out why, hope your ok?

x

Normal rusks are packed, and I mean packed, with sugar (as much as a doughnut I've read) which isn't good for them. Putting stuff in their milk also isn't recommended because of the risk of choking and it being inhaled into their lungs, which can cause death apparently (read this a few times on other forums when the issue has come up for discussion).
Rusks also contain gluten, which you're not supposed to give until after 6 months. This is due to research showing that babies exposed to gluten at a young age can then develop allergies to it later in life (coeliacs). So whilst children who have been given rusks in this way might not be showing any problems at the moment, they could still develop allergies and problems when they're older. My grandad (he's 60) was only diagnosed as a coeliac a few years ago.

Although some people do it and have done it I really really wouldn't recommend it.

My mother in law told me to do this, but i ignored her. Cant really be good for them!!

I like Rusks :rofl: but definitley not for the kiddies just with a cup of tea for me!:blush:

Not planning on giving them to the kids either for the above reasons, primarily sugar content!

xx

I'd try one before you gave it to her. Like someone else said they are super sweet. Horrid really. If it's not causing you a problem I wouldn't bother and I wouldn't mix anything in with her milk.

Hope you're are ok.

We never did that, although Sonny's aunt told us to. I don't like the thought of it personally, but it's up to you..

You could always try and spoon feed her a sugar free rusk in the early evening or baby rice. Then give her a normal bed time bottle!

Rusks never done me any harm, TBH I think in a few years we're all going to have to look at our babies in a certian way to stop them developing something else that could cause then "harm!"

xx

i heard it made their milk to hard for them to digest, why don't you try what lil-baby-boo suggested?

hope your ok hun?

they advice to purely give milk for the first six month :baby:

only, if the milk is insufficient, I will start to give something else before those, but I doubt that!

I also would not give my baby sugary stuff, as the later she gets to know her sweet tooth the better for her :baby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->