Safe to fake tan?

pearlsandbows

Got our BFP on Xmas Day!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a silly question or not! Just wondering whether it's ok to fake tan? Any brands to steer clear of or all ok? Feeling particularly pale with the winter, used to tan every week or couple of weeks but haven't at all since being pregnant & after seeing some sunshine today I really fancied it!
xo.

Not a good idea. Definitely not the spray versions as you don't want to breathe in chemicals. I personally avoided, i wouldn't even use body lotions in early pregnancy as so many chemicals.

Thanks I wasn't sure, was going to use St Tropez gradual tan it's like a body lotion where the colour builds up each time. On their website it says it's safe for pregnancy? :shrug:
xo.

I used the sunless tanners when I was pregnant with my daughter. I will do it again this time, but I am going to wait until later on. :). I'm feeling pale too.

My philosophy is that if I wouldn't put it on my baby, I don't put it on myself when I'm pregnant. Same applies to medications and things like alcohol - if I wouldn't give it to my newborn, it doesn't go into my body. Everything you put on your skin goes right into your body, so keep that in mind, and make the decision that's best for you and your baby because in the end, it's your decision. :)

I don't see any harm in using self-tanners during pregnancy, although a simple search on Google would probably point you at several resources, and you can kind of draw your own conclusions as to the safety. There are chemicals in just about everything we use...most of which do not pose any harm to our unborn babies. I would worry more if you're tanning in the sun, or using tanning beds, which is absolutely horrible for you, and significantly ages your skin, and dramatically increases the risk for skin cancer.

My philosophy is that if I wouldn't put it on my baby, I don't put it on myself when I'm pregnant. Same applies to medications and things like alcohol - if I wouldn't give it to my newborn, it doesn't go into my body. Everything you put on your skin goes right into your body, so keep that in mind, and make the decision that's best for you and your baby because in the end, it's your decision. :)

Hmm I'd struggle with this one.
No perfume.
No makeup.
No shampoo.
And nothing to eat but breast milk.
Tricky.
Xx

So like.... how do you use deodorant? :wacko: Nothing on your skin that you wouldn't put on a newborn? Really?

It's such a personal thing obviously. Someone here mentioned they'd take benedryl for a dry skin rash and others like myself and some of the pp's above won't take drugs or put extra stuff on that we don't need-'safe' or not. I found a brand of lotion called Green Beaver that has no hormone disrupters (some ppl here didn't know that nail Polish too - as well as skin lotions/perfumes - are chalk a block full of all sorts of preservatives, carcinogens -nail polish & formaldehyde-, and hormone disrupters). I think most midwives & doctors would tell you cream, nail polish, perfume, hair dye, tanning chemicals, benedryl are all safe, it's whatever you're comfortable using while you're pregnant.
I use the Green Beaver skin cream and coconut oil on my skin after showers to prevent stretch marks but that's about it. If I need deodorant, I'll slap on some baking soda/ corn starch as talc (baby powder) is no longer sold in Canada due to it causing breathing problems in humans.

I would ask midwife or Dr only due to you sent supposed to use perfume and certain chemicals. If it says safe for pregnancy its probably fine. I tend to stick to the pregnancy stuff from boots and mother are when pregnant but I know plenty of stuff is safe. I dont use fake tan. If you use I would test a small area as I know my skin is a lot more sensitive when pregnant (I'm look like a teenager with the spots on my face lol)

I would ask midwife or Dr only due to you sent supposed to use perfume and certain chemicals. If it says safe for pregnancy its probably fine. I tend to stick to the pregnancy stuff from boots and mother are when pregnant but I know plenty of stuff is safe. I dont use fake tan. If you use I would test a small area as I know my skin is a lot more sensitive when pregnant (I'm look like a teenager with the spots on my face lol)

I know what you mean! I never get spots yet I have had 3 stubborn ones for over a month that won't budge!
xo.

With my last pregnancy I used fake tan and I tried several different brands as I would usually use the sunbed, but obviously that's a no go in pregnancy so I experimented with various ones and I have a perfectly healthy daughter.

This pregnancy I will be using fake tan too, it's all a personal choice at the end of the day but it's never done any harm over here :thumbup:

I used St Tropez mousse throughout my first pregnancy and baby was fine. I'll be doing the same this time round. I think sometimes it can get a bit silly with the what you should and what you shouldn'ts xx

I remember there was a big thing when I was pregnant with my son about fake ran and the chemicals in them causing harm.

Personally, I live my life as usual, eating as healthily as I can, no alcohol (rarely drink anyway) and decaf tea if I want a hot drink.

I still use beauty products, body shop body butter and I'll still get my nails done (gelish) and fake tan, it makes me feel much better!

There are a few brands made with natural ingredients and if I remember correctly Vita Liberata is one of them....happy bronzing xx

I had two spray tans late into my 2nd pregnancy and everything was fine. I too feel so pale and I bought some spray tan I plan to just use on my face chest and arms because that's all on show atm lol it's up to u x

No perfume.
No makeup.
No shampoo.
Tricky.
Xx

Yes, no perfume or make-up or chemically junk. I look and smell just fine without it and make my own soaps, detergents, etc. And I certainly didn't say food-wise, but my lifestyle choices do seem to be tricky for most people.

So like.... how do you use deodorant? :wacko: Nothing on your skin that you wouldn't put on a newborn? Really?

I make my own deodorant, which works just swell. Once you get pregnant and/or have kids, everyone feels it's okay to judge you and the decisions you make as a parent. This is my choice, just as you have your own choices as to what's right for your family. Good luck dealing with others' judgments yourself.

No perfume.
No makeup.
No shampoo.
Tricky.
Xx

Yes, no perfume or make-up or chemically junk. I look and smell just fine without it and make my own soaps, detergents, etc. And I certainly didn't say food-wise, but my lifestyle choices do seem to be tricky for most people.

I'm being pedantic here, but you did say you wouldn't put anything into your body you wouldn't give to a newborn and I took it literally. Food =into.
I personally would find your choices tricky to live by but if you don't then good for you.
For me I do what I can that is reasonably practicable with my time and budget.
Xx

Xdxxtx that's not the route I go but there's definitely no judgement here!! I bet you have some cool all natural recipes for shampoo and soaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->