Safety of ultrasound

With my daughter I had one at 8 weeks, and one at 22 weeks. With this pregnancy I will have had 3. One at 7 weeks. Another at 10 weeks, and then the final one will be a level 2 at 21 weeks. I am in Canada, and as far as I have ever been told a 12 weeks and 20 week are routine.

I have had 2 with the NHS already. Will be having my 20week scan in December too. Aside from that I am booked in for a gender scan on Sunday and will be having a 4d scan when the bubs is bigger - 27 weeks ish.

At the end of the day - they wouldnt be allowed to do it if it could harm the baby! some women are scanned through the NHS monthly so it can't be that harmful.

Im in Canada, and I only get the 20 week scan. Its a long wait, but if you don't have a choice it is doable! lol...no madness here (I think)

I've never heard that its harmful. Where I am, its considered a medical procedure and so unless there is reason to believe that there is something medically wrong with the pregnancy, there is no reason to scan before the 20 week anomoly (sp?) scan.

When I had my 8 week scan, we could see the heartbeat, but not hear it. We asked if we could please listen to the heartbeat and our OB/GYN said nope.

Reason he gave: Frequency is used for the transport of the "sound" of the heartbeat. Frequency generates heat. So, very early on, the heart is still too close to the brain for him to feel comfortable and expose the brain to the heat generated by the frequency.

I'm sharing what I'be been told. I have not researched this at all and cannot vouch for what I as told...

I do get one every 4 weeks ± now and am told that there are no dangers.

I'm in the US and I had one around 5 weeks, one at 10 weeks, and another at 14 weeks, and my anomaly one is at 19 weeks, on Dec. 7th. After that I don't know what my dr. will do but I think he will probably do one every appt. I have heard that the ultrasound is very loud for the baby, but not sure if that has been scientifically backed up.

Im in Canada, and I only get the 20 week scan. Its a long wait, but if you don't have a choice it is doable! lol...no madness here (I think)

I've never heard that its harmful. Where I am, its considered a medical procedure and so unless there is reason to believe that there is something medically wrong with the pregnancy, there is no reason to scan before the 20 week anomoly (sp?) scan.

where in Canada are you? Im in Toronto, Ontario and everyone that I know including myself have had numerous ultrasounds, I have already had 5 and I know I will be having more, just as I did with my other 4... Im wondering if it aqll depends on where you are in your respective countries

Because everyone has private insurance (or none at all) in the US, there is no such thing as a 'normal' or traditional amount of scans. It depends totally on the Dr. and what they believe to be best practices. I had a scan at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks, and 20 weeks. If I am itching to see my LO again, if I ask my Dr. she will 'prescribe' another one for me so that my insurance will pay.

My SIL is also pregnant, and is in a totally different part of the area, and she has had about the same # of scans that I have had. The 12 week scan here is generally optional, as it is the screening for downs and other anomalies.

Actually in the US I believe we have more ultrasounds due to having private insurance. We have a dating scan at 8 weeks, a first trimester scan at 12 weeks, and a gender scan around 16-18 weeks. We have more after that, but this is what I have on schedule with the doctor so far. All of my friends (here in the US) have atleast 2 scans before 20 weeks. I also had a scan at 6 weeks because I went in for my regular ob visit and they asked if I wanted one. So I will have 4 scans before 20 weeks.

As for the U/S being a danger. I've heard this is false info. The biggest reason for not having more scans in some countries is because of costs.

I had one at 5 weeks, 6 weeks, 11 weeks, 13 weeks, 16 weeks, and 20 weeks so far. And my little girl looks perfect! I have my 3D scan at 25 weeks and after that idk when I will have another one!

where in Canada are you? Im in Toronto, Ontario and everyone that I know including myself have had numerous ultrasounds, I have already had 5 and I know I will be having more, just as I did with my other 4... Im wondering if it aqll depends on where you are in your respective countries

Im in Halifax. I used to live in Toronto, and most people I know have been offered a 12 week viability scan, and then the 20 week Anomoly/gender determination scan. There are some rural areas that dont offer the 12 week scan. I really think it depends on the resources available. Here in Halifax, there is only 1 hospital for babies, so anyone in the Halifax area has to go to the same hospital. They also will not determine Gender here. If you want to know the gender, you have to pay for a 3D/4D scan.

Im in Halifax. I used to live in Toronto, and most people I know have been offered a 12 week viability scan, and then the 20 week Anomoly/gender determination scan. There are some rural areas that dont offer the 12 week scan. I really think it depends on the resources available. Here in Halifax, there is only 1 hospital for babies, so anyone in the Halifax area has to go to the same hospital. They also will not determine Gender here. If you want to know the gender, you have to pay for a 3D/4D scan.

Wow, how ignorant of me to think all of canada was the same. One hospital for babies, thats crazy. Im glad I have been able to have so many ultrasounds and that they told me what I was having :)

I havnt heard of this, iv had 5scans so far this pregnancy

1st at 5+3, 7+3, 9+3, 10+4 and 11+6!

The first 3 where at epu with consultant! The 4th one was official dating scan at ante natal clinic and 5th was the NT scan!
I'll be having a private gender scan at around 16 weeks and then my anomaly scan is booked for 20+4! So at the least I will be having 7 scans this pregnancy!

I was in downtown Toronto for my first pregnancy and had 3 scans: one at 13 weeks for dating purposes, one at 20 weeks, and an optional 3D one.

I'm now in Mississauga and have had 3 scans already (with another scheduled for Wednesday) and will have many more because it's a twin pregnancy (first US was because of low HCG levels to start with, second because of spotting, third because I slid down a staircase and the next one is for the High Risk Clinic--they want to get a baseline of measurements for the babies).

It really does depend on area and region! (and pregnancy of course :lol:)

Hello lovely ladies. Just wanted your opinion on something...

I went to see my midwife the other day and mentioned the fact that in the US they dont have a scan until 20 weeks and I would go a bit mad having to wait so long. She said that actually in the uk we may go to this because of the cost and worries about the heat of ultrasound on a young fetus's brain.

My experience of NHS scans has been pants as I get to see baby for about 20seconds. So I was thinking of a 4d scan. But the midwife said she's not a fan.

Anyone else heard about the 'dangers' of too many ultrasounds? X

I'm wondering about this effect of heat on the baby's brain - also ultrasound affects cell growth in some way (but i'm no scientist). I'm thinking of cancelling our next scan at 32 weeks, as we've already had 12 wk, then 16 wk heart scan, 20 wk anomoly scan and an extra one at 28 wks because of low placenta (I think). I only want one more scan MAX!!

Only two ultrasounds are offered to pregnant women here - the first one for dating purposes (around 7/8 weeks) and the second for abnormalities (20 weeks).

Dating is super important here because it makes a world of difference if a woman goes into pre-term labor..if she is 34 weeks, 2 days and goes into labor, she will be medivac-ed to the mainland's hospital...if she's 34 weeks 5 days, she will stay on island at our local hospital. So says my doctor!

Other than that...even though I would love to see the baby on the ultrasound screen more often, it's not really necessary. My baby's going to grow regardless if a doctor sees it on an ultrasound screen or not!

In my last pregnancy I had 4-5 scans I think and my boy is fine :) Will probably get the same amount in this one.

I am in the US, seeing a group of midwives at a freestanding birthing center, and using private (employer sponsored) insurance.

I think it completely depends on the medical provider, assuming an average healthy 'normal' pregnancy. Some providers may have U/S machines in their offices, making it easier to get scanned more frequently. Others may avoid frequent scanning based on what your insurance will reimburse for, etc.

My midwife group seems to believe only two are necessary - 11.5-13 weeks for dating and screening tests (nuchal), and 18-22 weeks for anomaly scan. So far I have only had the 12 week nuchal as I am in good health and have had no issues.

I believe that the amount of scans offered by health systems at various regions are cost-related, not safety-related, which is why high-risk pregnancies get granted more scans.

I've had about ten ultrasounds already, my TVUs for my cervical cerclage included, and will have more. There are thousands of pregnancies monitored very frequently due to high-risk status and the babies are absolutely fine.

Personally I've always preferred the private way, so I see private obstetricians, both in the UK and in Greece. Both of them have the same policy: monitoring every four weeks. I had a growth scan at 23/24 weeks, and I was asked to go back at 28 weeks. I think they've started monitoring my amniotic fluid levels now.

Plus, many a doctor have told me that ultrasounds are absolutely harmless. :thumbup:

I have heard standard (2D) ultrasounds are safe but not to get 3D nor 4D unless absolutely necessary. My doctor also would not let us hear the heartbeat due to the extra heat, but they do a 2D ultrasound once a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->