SAHM job opportunities

gina236

Reaction score
Anyone know any legit job opportunities for a SAHM. I am planning to stay home with our kids, when we have them, because my job would basically only pay for daycare care. But we are used to being a 2 income household so I have to find some way to make some extra money. I've looked into so many things but they all seem like scams or you can only really make 20 bucks a month or something crazy low like that. Not looking to get rich. Just something that could make me 20-30k a year. Anyone?!

I knew I should have replied sooner. I had a feeling your comment would be deleted. Now I don't remember who you were. Anyone else know anything?

I know you aren't in the UK like I am so I guess my experience will be different from yours (maybe there are more SAHM opportunities where you are?). I am in the UK and I have tried to research this for the past year since becoming a SAHM to my 3 kids. Like yourself I can't afford child care fees but would like to work from home and have some income.

Unfortunately all I could find was commission based jobs, and I have already tried a few of them and ended up spending more than what I earned so I'm done with them (although you might be better than me at them as I'm not the best sales person!).

Other options which I would recommend more would be, is there something you can do which you could start up your own business doing? Are you creative, you could make things and sell them? Or do you have a skill you can use to work from home, or access to training for a skill you can work from home doing? I am a qualified massage therapist and I also do reiki so I get some extra money coming in through that, and I also make and sell children's box frames. The success of both ventures varies greatly and it doesn't bring me in a full income but it does help a lot and some months I do really well.

One thing I am looking into at the moment is writing a blog and selling advertising space on it? You can research how to do this on the internet.

Hopefully you can find something you can do from home, there is little over here and there really should be something as there are so many of us SAHMs who'd love an opportunity to work from home.

If you're in the States, there are companies that offer work from home positions but don't really advertise it. Sedgewick offers phone positions if you live in a house and usually have a position open. (They sometimes have a fax based position called eSupport, but those seem to be rare) Apple also sometimes hires for overnight chat support.

There's a forum called Work Place Like Home where people post openings; I recommend joining that. :)

If you want a more unstructured job, you can join a crowdsourcing platform. I work on one of those and make a couple hundred a month just from research surveys and data processing. I do what I want, when I want, which is so much easier with a toddler. There are people that make a living (1000-3000 a month) on the platform I use, but they are always on it to catch the good jobs.

Kitteh_Kat How do you join a crowdsourcing platform?

I work from home along side a company called Forever Living.. I dont know if you have hard of them?
I am a SAHM. I couldnt go out to work because the hours clashed with school runs and the cost of childcare was like 70% of the weekly wage.

I work from home along side a company called Forever Living.. I dont know if you have hard of them?
I am a SAHM. I couldnt go out to work because the hours clashed with school runs and the cost of childcare was like 70% of the weekly wage.

I have never heard of that. What sort of work is it? And ya that is why I plan to stay at home. Among other reasons. My pay would cover daycare with a few hundred a month extra. Not worth it to me.

Kitteh_Kat How do you join a crowdsourcing platform?

There are several out there, but I've had the most success on Mturk (run by Amazon). There's a learning curve and the more you do the more jobs are available to you. I started last year and I've broken the $3000 mark ($2000 from this year); it's not a lot compared to a regular salary, but I'm only looking to earn a little extra for my student loan payments and fun things like vacation money/Christmas presents/shopping since we live off hubby's income just fine. But there are a lot of people that easily make $100/day on it ($50 is my good day amount), so there's plenty of potential to earn.

This is my day so far - did all of these in less than an hour while waiting for DD to crawl out of bed while browsing the Internet and enjoying my coffee. And still in my PJs. :haha:

(That $4 survey took me about 12 minutes, best survey of the week so far!)

https://digital-kitten.net/images/mturk_21.png

I started using mturk about a month ago and have only made about 10 bucks. Definitely a learning process. I started doing some transcribe things that I really enjoyed. They were .01 cent ones but offered bonuses if you did more on the page. I'd spend 10 mins on one, do them all with a potential 4 dollar bonus and they end up ta king the full 30 days to pay and only pay the .01. Huge waste of time. I'll have to start looking at some other things.

I personally have more luck with the surveys. They tend to pay more all at once, and the researchers aren't as shady as some of the transcription requesters. Surveys have potential for follow ups and bonuses too - I just finished a series of surveys about where I've seen advertisements for new movies that paid .50 for 2 minutes. Did 13 of those over 14 days, and got a $5 bonus today for finishing enough of them. Easy peasy work for almost $12!

It all depends on what you find that you enjoy doing though!

I recommend using Firefox or Chrome and downloading some scripts. Hit Scrapper has increased my earnings so much since I started turking with it. It basically lists all the current hits based on your criteria, along with showing the rating for the requestors, so you have one list of hits to do. So much easier than trying to search the actual website for a hit to do.

There are also some places where other turkers post hits that are worth doing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HITsWorthTurkingFor/new/
https://mturkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Great-HITs
https://mturkgrind.com/forums/awesome-hits.4/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mturkmembers/

You might want to focus on building up your numbers until you're above 500/1000/etc, since that will unlock more hits for you. This is the link for a receipt hit where you just decide if two receipts are the same or not. They auto approve in 7 days, so you'll have to wait a bit, but they're super easy and great for number building.

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/previewandaccept?groupId=37ZHE2JT1D250TKIB56TICN73UO88U

Ben Peterson is another great and easy hit (rate a dating profile picture for 3 cents, approves quickly), so is Venue Quality. If you have a dual monitor you can knock out Jimmy Dragon business card hits quickly and I've never had a rejection from him.

Definitely a lot of potential with it once you understand it! I made $21 today for only 2 hours worth of surveys while DD was asleep. :)

Wow thank you so much for all the tips! Right now I just do it for a half hour during my lunch break at work but this will help so much!

Gina236 did you ever receive the details for forever living? If not I also work alongside them and can send you some details about it if you're still looking for information x

If you are interested in working from home perhaps you have some friends in the network marketing industry. Many people will initially think these home based businesses are scams or pyramids but i can tell you there are LOTS of legitimate ones. If you work hard enough you can be very successful. I personally love my home based business and wouldnt change it for the world.
Cant say im rich but supplementing my previous income makes me feel a whole lot better about staying home.
Your friends will be honest with you about their opportunities find one that you can be passionate about and believe in, if you dont/wont use the products then that one is not for you.
Good luck on your Journey!

If you are interested in working from home perhaps you have some friends in the network marketing industry. Many people will initially think these home based businesses are scams or pyramids but i can tell you there are LOTS of legitimate ones. If you work hard enough you can be very successful. I personally love my home based business and wouldnt change it for the world.
Cant say im rich but supplementing my previous income makes me feel a whole lot better about staying home.
Your friends will be honest with you about their opportunities find one that you can be passionate about and believe in, if you dont/wont use the products then that one is not for you.
Good luck on your Journey!

I agree. I am not a SAHM, but was looking to supplement my income to help with student loans and other bills. I am big on removing harmful chemicals from our household and such. So I started purchasing Pure Haven Essentials products. Then I joined as a consultant just for the 30% discount. Then people started asking me about the products and i started to tell them etc. I have been making about $200 extra a month. The products sells themselves as people are looking to be more healthy etc. I haven't even ever had an in person "party". So i agree if there is something that seems to strike and interest with people that you know etc it may be an easier and more efficient way to make money. The surveys are great, but take up so much of your free time!

As Heather11 mentioned, I to have active interest in how to live greener, and came across an opportunity to promote eco friendly household products with Wikaniko (We-Can-Eco). I have just started an eco cleaning business using these products off the back of it, and hope to keep growing the business. I am not a natural sales person, but found that just from talking about the products to friends and family, it is easy to get regular orders and people tend to be interested as it benefits everyone without any extra cost to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->