Sandwich ideas?

My faves at the mo are cheddar and sliced red pepper and grated cheddar, tomato, Mayo, spring onion and cracked black pepper. Nom nom!!

My husband is actually a Listeria researcher so if you guys want some info I could ask him. Mind you, he mostly works on the genetics of Listeria but I'm sure he knows plenty about it's pathogenicity.
I did hear that smoked fish like lux was a no-no. And I think most of the Listeria problems are post processing contamination rather than infection in the animals. Anyway, onto other sandwich suggestions... something with sprouts and cucumbers, a bit of mayo or some white dressing, tomato, cheese, perhaps a bit of mustard for kicks. Yum!

Try peanut butter with sliced bananas , meatballs with marinara sauce and provolone cheese ( if you don't like meatballs use pepperonis ) , veggie sandwich or sub I usually put shredded lettuce pickles black olives onions salt and pepper and ranch on a loaf of Italian ( white) bread that's about as long as your hand. Another one of my favorites is fried potatoes with fried eggs and shredded cheese , and (don't know if this is made in the UK or not buuuut) a sliced meatloaf sandwich with mashed potatoes as the condiment. YUMMMM I am sooo hungry now lol!!!

I really don't like deli meat and there are still plenty of things that make tasty sammiches. Like *real* meat! I'll usually cook a few chicken breasts on the weekend to shred and put on sandwiches and salads. Sometimes I'll mix the chicken with mayo and celery for chicken salad. I take lunch to school a lot and I'll usually cook some sort of meat the night before, like steak or ham. Soooo much tastier than deli meat.

Some other ideas that may have mentioned already: tuna salad (or do the same thing with canned salmon), BLT (bacon lettuce tomato, maybe with some avocado), grilled cheese, sausage and dijon mustard, egg salad, fried egg

My husband is actually a Listeria researcher so if you guys want some info I could ask him. Mind you, he mostly works on the genetics of Listeria but I'm sure he knows plenty about it's pathogenicity.
I did hear that smoked fish like lux was a no-no. And I think most of the Listeria problems are post processing contamination rather than infection in the animals. Anyway, onto other sandwich suggestions... something with sprouts and cucumbers, a bit of mayo or some white dressing, tomato, cheese, perhaps a bit of mustard for kicks. Yum!

Can you ask him if he thinks this whole avoiding-deli-meats-at-all-costs thing is really worth it? My baby book said that about 500 pregnant women a year get listeria- out of about 4 million pregnant women in the US, that makes the risk approximately .0125%, which to me is ridiculous to be worrying about. Yes, the chances of getting listeria are higher if you're pregnant- but .0125%? Is that worth freaking out about?

(I've been asking people I know about this, from microbiologists to doctors, and the majority say "Stop freaking out, and eat lunch meat if you want." So I'd love to know what your husband thinks!)

How about ham? But instead of processed deli meat use left over slice of ham.

Can you ask him if he thinks this whole avoiding-deli-meats-at-all-costs thing is really worth it? My baby book said that about 500 pregnant women a year get listeria- out of about 4 million pregnant women in the US, that makes the risk approximately .0125%, which to me is ridiculous to be worrying about. Yes, the chances of getting listeria are higher if you're pregnant- but .0125%? Is that worth freaking out about?

(I've been asking people I know about this, from microbiologists to doctors, and the majority say "Stop freaking out, and eat lunch meat if you want." So I'd love to know what your husband thinks!)

I'll ask, but I don't think he'll feel comfortable telling you not to worry. What if he says "it's not big deal" and then you get listeriosis? I can tell you that he has asked me not to eat deli meat or unpasteurized cheeses so I think he feels it's better to be safe than sorry. I suspect some of that comes from knowing all the unpleasant mechanisms of listeria infection and what it will do to you and the baby.

Listeria monocytogenes is found in soil and water. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil or from manure used as fertilizer.
Animals can carry the bacterium without appearing ill and can contaminate foods of animal origin such as meats and dairy products. The bacterium has been found in a variety of raw foods, such as uncooked meats and vegetables, as well as in processed foods that become contaminated after processing, such as soft cheeses and cold cuts at the deli counter. Unpasteurized (raw) milk or foods made from unpasteurized milk may contain the bacterium.

Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking; however, in certain ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats, contamination may occur after cooking but before packaging.

Just thought id post the facts.

I eat cooked meat..not deli meat. I always make sure any meat i eat is cooked through. The risk in the UK of cooked meat having listeria is negligable. However, the nhs advise against eating deli meats like salami although in reality. the risks of listeriosis is really low. Actually tbh, i think its becoming ridiculous what you seem to not be able to eat. One day, we will find a whole host of malnourished pregnant ladies because they are so scared to consume anything!
I mean for goodness sake.. the list seems to get longer and longer year by year. It will soon be, what on earth can you eat? or drink for that matter!!! Women have been having babies for years!! I think its time someone put this all into perspective.

My Ob said deli meats that come in the package are ok. I try to buy the organic. I thought that the deli counter stuff is what we want to avoid. My OB also told me to avoid Tuna because of the mercury. Thats tough cause I love tuna sandwiches. You got some good ideas. I like to make egg salad sandwiches, with a little mayo, celery and salt. Of course grilled cheese is always good too. For lunch I've been having burritos instead of sandwiches. I got these organic ones from whole foods you can pop in the microwave.

I have cold meat like ham or chicken in a sandwich.
I love tuna mayo.
You could try cooked chicken mayo or what about bacon lettuce and tomato? yummy!!!

For lunch I've been having burritos instead of sandwiches. I got these organic ones from whole foods you can pop in the microwave.

Ooh this sounds delish! (and so quick and easy for lazy types like me) :winkwink:

https://www3.sainsburys.co.uk/littl...-recipes/item/spinach-cheese-and-herb-pasties

This is one of my favourites at the mo :) Found it on the Sainsburys pregnant recipes section online. Really easy to make and nice with a homemade pesto and yogurt dip. Im having this for my dinner tonight...yum! x

Listeria monocytogenes is found in soil and water. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil or from manure used as fertilizer.
Animals can carry the bacterium without appearing ill and can contaminate foods of animal origin such as meats and dairy products. The bacterium has been found in a variety of raw foods, such as uncooked meats and vegetables, as well as in processed foods that become contaminated after processing, such as soft cheeses and cold cuts at the deli counter. Unpasteurized (raw) milk or foods made from unpasteurized milk may contain the bacterium.

Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking; however, in certain ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats, contamination may occur after cooking but before packaging.

Just thought id post the facts.

I eat cooked meat..not deli meat. I always make sure any meat i eat is cooked through. The risk in the UK of cooked meat having listeria is negligable. However, the nhs advise against eating deli meats like salami although in reality. the risks of listeriosis is really low. Actually tbh, i think its becoming ridiculous what you seem to not be able to eat. One day, we will find a whole host of malnourished pregnant ladies because they are so scared to consume anything!
I mean for goodness sake.. the list seems to get longer and longer year by year. It will soon be, what on earth can you eat? or drink for that matter!!! Women have been having babies for years!! I think its time someone put this all into perspective.

Thanks for posting the facts. I totally agree with you. When I first got pregnant I had no idea the long list of food/beverages I would have to give up. Unfortunately Dh has been all over this and anytime we go out to eat it's a struggle. He's even told me not to eat things that the Ob said was okay. He's so paranoid. Going out to eat is not as much fun now. I feel like half the menu is out because it has soft cheese of meats/fish I can't eat. Also there seems to be conflicting info on some things such as herbal teas and caffeine. It's a lot of pressure and I feel like a bad mom if I eat the "wrong" thing. I guess this is the start of being judged for me "parenting"

My Ob said deli meats that come in the package are ok. I try to buy the organic. I thought that the deli counter stuff is what we want to avoid. My OB also told me to avoid Tuna because of the mercury. Thats tough cause I love tuna sandwiches. You got some good ideas. I like to make egg salad sandwiches, with a little mayo, celery and salt. Of course grilled cheese is always good too. For lunch I've been having burritos instead of sandwiches. I got these organic ones from whole foods you can pop in the microwave.

I hear some tuna is worse than others, but my MW told me to not eat any tuna either :(

I like american cheese with ranch and honey mustard or with sandwich pickle slices. Banana and peanut butter is good. I also take random leftovers like mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac and cheese, any kind of casserole, etc, and just mix it together however I feel on a sandwich. Toast with swiss cheese and a little salt is good for me too. Scrambled eggs with melted cheddar or colby jack on a sandwich is really good too. My mom likes chocolate frosting and peanut butter on a sandwich. I like ciabatta rolls or hoagies with spinach, tomato, cucumber, cheese, ranch, and sometimes veggie turkey. I don't know if you have Lightlife brand vegetarian foods over there, but if you do, you should definitely check out their "deli meats". I love the turkey and bologna. I hate real bologna though so I don't think it tastes anything like the real thing, just to warn you. And personally I think the turkey tastes more like ham. They've also got great :hot dogs" called Smart Dogs, which taste just like real hot dogs if you're craving that raw hot dog taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->