Santa......

Lovn.sunshine

Girl Mom
Reaction score
Have you/do you plan on telling your kids that Santa brought gifts/watches over them/naughty/nice list deal? Or do the "elf on a shelf" thing?

I don't want to start a debate but I'm just so torn on if we'll do the Santa thing or not. I know, that when I was a kid, and I found out that Santa was not real I was devestated. I also didn't trust my parents for a looooong while after that. I don't want to do that with my daughter but I also don't want her to feel left out when it comes to her going to school and others talking about it.... I also wouldn't want her to ruin it for other children [whether on purpose or accident]. My step sister was the one that ruined it for me, for the sake of upsetting me :dohh:
My daughter wouldn't understand the concept this year anyway but by next year, I'm sure it will come up...

Anyway, thoughts? Your own experiences? Thanks.

Absolutely! Finding out that Santa wasn't real was devastating. But while I believed he was real it was the most magical experience ever and I would never deny Billy that. I will face the consequences when he realises it is made up, because I strongly believe that it is worth the joy before hand!

What is the elf on a shelf thing? I have never heard of that.

We are keeping it light hearted and telling our 2 year old Santa brings kids presents on Christmas, it's just a bit of fun as far as we're concerned, we won't be making a huge deal out of it. I don't believe in including the naughty and nice thing.

I wasn't devastated when I found out Santa wasn't real, I figured it out myself when I was 7, believing a big fat man in a red suit flew around the world and delivered presents via the chimney was a bit too far fetched for me even at that age!

If my LO seems doubtful when he's older, he'll be told the truth, it's just a bit of fun and a nice story, we won't be going out of our way to get him to buy into it.

I just heard about the elf on the shelf thing today. I'd never heard of it either. A friend of mine is doing it this year to her daughter [2.5 years old] and I just don't like the idea... It's where you put an elf statue on the shelf and say that it watches you all day/night and reports back to Santa. Then you're supposed to move it [when LO is sleeping, I guess] so that it really does look like it's left and reported to Santa. I feel like that's a scare tactic to keep a kid behaving the way you'd like... just seems like too much, to me...

Thanks for the input... that's where I am, I feel like it would be wrong to not lightheartedly introduce Santa but the aftermath of her figuring it out/finding out is a little daunting lol

Okay, the elf on the shelf thing is weird and creepy! A step too far, IMO.

Like PP, we will be doing the Santa thing, but it will be lighthearted and casual, no naughty or nice list. My mum did the same, I did believe in father Christmas but it wasn't built up so much that I was upset when I find out he wasn't real. I don't really understand elf on the shelf either, don't think it's something we'll be adopting. For the love of god though, do not mention your feelings on it in the grotto :haha:

The elf on the shelf idea is far too creepy for me too.

My DS completely believes in Santa/Father Christmas and is so excited about Christmas and I wouldn't want to take that away from him. Last year he was nearly 4 and his face when he met Father Christmas at a local shop was just magical. I don't really say a lot about him having to be good and not naughty and I would never threaten to him with not getting any presents but tbh he's a pretty well behaved child.

I don't remember being bothered when I found out it wasn't real. We still put carrots out for Rudolph and a mince pie for Father Christmas as teenagers as it was part of the Christmas celebration.

My DS didn't understand about Father Christmas below 3 and it was really only last Christmas that it really meant anything to him.

Like PP, we will be doing the Santa thing, but it will be lighthearted and casual, no naughty or nice list. My mum did the same, I did believe in father Christmas but it wasn't built up so much that I was upset when I find out he wasn't real. I don't really understand elf on the shelf either, don't think it's something we'll be adopting. For the love of god though, do not mention your feelings on it in the grotto :haha:

:rofl: I definitely will keep it to myself there :haha:

And I LOVE Christmas and I LOVE the idea of tradition and having somthing exciting like Santa to bring you gifts to look forward to. I think I'm just overthinking the end result.... I shouldn't though, she may not react at all like I did :blush:
:haha:

When I was little Santa was always done with a knowing smile - it was a fun game we all played along with. I always understood there wasn't a literal Santa but he was still real to me in a sense. It worked well so hopefully we will do the same with our kids. It was still magical - little kids are really good at walking that line between real and pretend and using imagination.

We are sort of doing elf on the shelf but with our own twist. I ditched the book because I don't like the idea of spying for Santa. I don't like the 'be good or Santa won't come!' thing for a few reasons:
1) I expect them to be good because it's the right thing to do, not just for a reward
2) It's an idle threat - there will be presents on Christmas Day
3) Christmas is about love and family and celebration, I don't want it being turned into a potential punishment tool or a payday
4) I would be worried that we'll fall on hard times one year and have to dial back the Christmas presents, and it would break my heart to think my children thought they had done something wrong to deserve it. Or they will wonder why some children don't get many/any presents and think it's because they're bad kids.

So our Elf won't be monitoring behaviour but he will suggest ways to spread Christmas cheer - decorate the house, bake cookies for the neighbours, donate to the toy appeal etc - and Santa will fill the stockings but the gifts under the tree are from family and friends. We'll probably do things like listen for sleighbells and such but all as a game.

That's the theory anyway... my eldest will be nearly three so this is the first time she'll understand Christmas and things might change.

Yes to Santa and when she works it out, we'll explain that for as long as you believe, the magic is real and ask if we can still keep the magic.

We're not going elf on a shelf but might introduce kindness elf/elves next year, to demonstrate that Christmas isn't about receiving presents and hopefully start a habit of a good deed a day or at least model kindness, compassion, etc.

https://theimaginationtree.com/2013...lf-tradition-kindness-elf-kindness-elves.html

When I was little Santa was always done with a knowing smile - it was a fun game we all played along with. I always understood there wasn't a literal Santa but he was still real to me in a sense. It worked well so hopefully we will do the same with our kids. It was still magical - little kids are really good at walking that line between real and pretend and using imagination.

We are sort of doing elf on the shelf but with our own twist. I ditched the book because I don't like the idea of spying for Santa. I don't like the 'be good or Santa won't come!' thing for a few reasons:
1) I expect them to be good because it's the right thing to do, not just for a reward
2) It's an idle threat - there will be presents on Christmas Day
3) Christmas is about love and family and celebration, I don't want it being turned into a potential punishment tool or a payday
4) I would be worried that we'll fall on hard times one year and have to dial back the Christmas presents, and it would break my heart to think my children thought they had done something wrong to deserve it. Or they will wonder why some children don't get many/any presents and think it's because they're bad kids.

So our Elf won't be monitoring behaviour but he will suggest ways to spread Christmas cheer - decorate the house, bake cookies for the neighbours, donate to the toy appeal etc - and Santa will fill the stockings but the gifts under the tree are from family and friends. We'll probably do things like listen for sleighbells and such but all as a game.

That's the theory anyway... my eldest will be nearly three so this is the first time she'll understand Christmas and things might change.

Very well said. Thank you for that input!

PS I LOVE your signature. <3

Yes to Santa and when she works it out, we'll explain that for as long as you believe, the magic is real and ask if we can still keep the magic.

We're not going elf on a shelf but might introduce kindness elf/elves next year, to demonstrate that Christmas isn't about receiving presents and hopefully start a habit of a good deed a day or at least model kindness, compassion, etc.

https://theimaginationtree.com/2013...lf-tradition-kindness-elf-kindness-elves.html

Ooh, I like that idea!! Thanks for the link! :flower:

For sure doing Santa, I loved Christmas as a kid (well, still do now!) and I think it was all of the traditions and magic that made it so special. So I'm hoping to give my LO the same wonderful memories.

I don't like the naughty/nice thing so definitely won't be stressing that. I also don't like Elf on the Shelf for the same reason, but I'm thinking it could be cute if you just moved the elf and made a fun game of finding it every morning, just without the "watching and reporting" bits.

Yes I will definately be doing Santa, I love the imagination that children have and if santa makes them happy and excited it will definately be getting done.
We will say santa brings the presents but once they are older we will explain that the parents have to put some money to santa and he will deliver them with a few extras. My parents did this as my neighbour used to get so much presents think that was the inly way they knew to explain.

Naughty/nice list, absolutely no way, I find that abhorrent. Some kids don't get anything for Christmas, and I'm teaching LO this is because they're 'bad' kids?!

I'm telling LO that Santa brings just one special present, the rest is from mummy and daddy. We're not making a huge deal of it though and it's more of a game than a real thing IYKWIM?

Will be doing Santa. I loved that as a kid, so I'm doing the same for mine. I haven't read about Elf on the Shelf so was surprised to see it was about spying, as my friend who does it just has the elf do naughty things in the house which is funny. Her daughter wakes up each morning to see what the elf has gotten into. I don't plan to do anything related to naught or nice. It drives me batty to walk around the mall hearing moms constantly telling their children that santa is watching and they better behave.

I didn't grow up with Santa simply because my parents didn't have a lot of money and didn't want us wondering why Santa got so many more things for other kids that he did for us. As a result of not having grown up with Santa, I really don't like the idea of it or the values it teaches, so we won't be doing Santa. I never felt left out and my mom talked to my sisters and me about respecting the way other people did things ( ie, don't tell them he isn't real). I remember pretending to believe in Santa on multiple occasions for the sake of other kids.

Yes we are definitely doing santa. I loved the magic of Christmas as a child and can't imagine my children not getting to experience it. I wasn't devastated that he wasn't real it was just something I grew out and it didn't affect my trust in my parents or anything. We will be doing it slightly different to how my parents and OH did it though. All our presents used to be from santa, but then at the same time we got told to be grateful because some children didn't get presents. Why wouldn't santa bring presents to everyone? So we are only giving one gift and a stocking from santa and they will know everything else is from us, grandparents etc. We're going to explain that santa brings a special gift for everyone and that what's special is different for everyone, so some children won't get a toy, they will get something else. They are both too young this year to understand that concept but that's the plan for the future anyway.

Father Christmas (not Santa in our house) made Christmas more magical for us. He never brought expensive gifts or lots of them but we loved waking up to a sack of presents and opening them surrounded by our family. Christmas in our house as children wasn't materialistic - we had lovely family traditions and it is still my favourite time of year. To me, presents are only a small part of it; the magic of Father Christmas far outweighs the presents he brings. I can't wait to look into the sky with my LO for his sleigh, listen for bells before bedtime, scatter glitter down the drive and leave a glass of sherry and a mince pie (lucky husband). We will definitely be doing Father Christmas in our house. I wasn't upset when I found out he wasn't real - in fact I still believe a little now - it is magic and why shouldn't kids have a little magic anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->