Save the Children asking for warning labels on formula tin

This is on the SMA website, I believe it's also on the tins.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Breastfeeding is best for babies. Good maternal nutrition is important for the preparation and maintenance of breastfeeding. Introducing partial bottle-feeding may have a negative effect on breastfeeding and reversing a decision not to breastfeed is difficult. You should always seek the advice of a doctor, midwife, health visitor, public health nurse, dietitian or pharmacist on the need for and proper method of use of infant milks and on all matters of infant feeding. Social and financial implications should be considered when selecting a method of infant feeding. Infant milk should always be prepared and used as directed. Inappropriate foods or feeding methods, or improper use of infant formula, may present a health hazard.

I think it's the daily mail causing a huge debate one there really isn't one.

Grrr this is why I distrust formula companies. They put that there like its the public health announcement. Like they are doing the right thing and saying breast is better.

BUT... in the 2nd sentence they undermine that by suggesting mothers diet (even whilst pregnant) is important if you want to breastfeed. It's not. They just want to put people off breastfeeding. They also confuse the message by talking about giving "inappropriate foods". What does that have to do with anything?!?

If you were too poor to have "good maternal nutrition" wouldn't you think from that warning that you would be better off ff?

Formula isn't poison, but formula companies are poisonous IMO.

I'd feel guiltier about the fact that babies were dying because I might be upset by one extra label.
It's not JUST about colostrum btw. It's about formula made with dirty water. It's about mothers being given formula samples, their milk drying up, then they cannot afford (enough) formula so they make it up too weak to stretch it out an babies starve. It's about mothers unable to afford food for older children because they are spending their limited income on baby formula. It's about formula being marketed as medicine and formula companies sponsoring health care professionals.

The proposed new labelling will not make a shred of difference then.

Better education will. A lot more needs to be done.

I don't know if it will make a difference. It isn't my research. But well-respected children's charity save the children think it will make a difference and they are te experts.

Education is important. But if formula companies sponsor health workers and promote heavily (more so than in the UK), its difficult to make sure the correct message gets across.

To be fair this (and much more) needs to be done, especially if it will save babies lives in the developing world. Formula is sent over and given to these mothers, it's promoted even though its dangerous and will likely kill their babies. If these women were breastfeeding their children wouldn't be dying!!! Nestlé have been particularly bad for this, it needs to end. Innocent babies dying is a horrible thing.

Did anyone watch Myleene Klass talking about it on Lorraine? Took it on in a whole new light, she works with Save the Children and went to visit families in third world countries. She was first to say that she wasn't into the whole breast is best stuff but is supporting this campaign. Save the Children aren't trying to bash formula feeding mums, they are trying to educate, and most importantly save lives xx

Did anyone watch Myleene Klass talking about it on Lorraine? Took it on in a whole new light, she works with Save the Children and went to visit families in third world countries. She was first to say that she wasn't into the whole breast is best stuff but is supporting this campaign. Save the Children aren't trying to bash formula feeding mums, they are trying to educate, and most importantly save lives xx

Well said x

I don't agree with it in the western world but definitely in poorer countries as formula companies abuse the worldwide formula code horrendously and as a result babies are still dying unnecessarily. There is a reason we don't get nestle formula here.

I am totally pro breast feeding but this news shocks me and I'm pretty disgusted to be honest with the attitude. It's not like cigs or booze but that's how this comes across to me. You know those cigarette packet warnings there to guilt trip you, I'm guessing that's just the same.

Don't even ask me to comment on Myleene Mrs Nobody

ETA: I understand RE: third world thing - but what kind of warning are we looking at. Perhaps its better to push how important it is to make formula up safely, rather than a guilt-trip direction

I agree that education in 3rd world countries needs to change. But it doesn't change the fact that I cried in public twice and walked out without formula after reading the labels on the shelves. I didn't want poxy loyalty card points but the fact that I was denied them lest I be encouraged to do my baby harm made me feel like the worst mum ever :'( Micah went through unnecessary hunger and had a mum and dad who argued and cried for the first 8 weeks of his life, all because I was so frightened and distrustful of formula and determined to do 'the right thing'. Making it labeled akin to smoking... I don't know what that would Have done to me at that point.

Another example of terrible, shock-value reporting from the Daily Fail.

The reason Save the Children have suggested this, as many PP have pointed out, is to save the lives of babies being unnecessarily ff in the developing world. And it's not just Nestle who are causing the problem. Danone is a culprit too, as explained in this article:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/15/babies-health-formula-indonesia-breastfeeding

The formula companies bribe the midwives (with 'gifts' such as TVs, laptops and equipment for their practices such as nebulisers and oxygen tanks) in return for them promoting formula to their patients. The mothers then, understandably, think that formula must be best for their babies and so buy and feed formula without access to clean water or sterilised equipment. It's so expensive that they have to water it down to make it go further. All of which explains why so many babies die as a direct result of being formula fed IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.

Danone explained their actions like this:

The spokesperson for Danone insists that there is no connection between these events – the gifts are just that, an act of beneficence to the midwife, to help her set up her practice, they are unconditional upon the sales of any formula. Asked why that would include a television, he said: "They use them in waiting rooms. To make them places where people would want to go, where they'd feel comfortable going." Asked about why sales reps have a relationship with midwives at all, the spokesman said: "We are permitted to have contacts with healthcare professionals, to tell them what's good about our products. Separate to that, we support midwives in setting up their practices. They're not necessarily separate people. But these are two separate activities."

Do you believe them? I don't. A local paediatrician Dr Asti Praborini, said: "Selling formula is like the killing fields, in my opinion. The babies will die of diarrhoea and they will die of malnutrition."

Now do you understand why Save the Children want this action? They are not criticising mothers in well developed countries, like the UK and US, who make well informed decisions, having access to all the relevant information, to feed their babies formula and who have the ability to prepare and feed that formula to their babies safely. They just want the formula companies to stop behaving so immorally and feel that this action would help them achieve this.

I agree that in the UK these type of labels may be uncomfortable and have a negative impact on womens' feelings about feeding their babies formula. However, in my opinion, it would be better for some of us over here to feel a little bad but to know that ultimately we are not harming our babies by feeding formula (because we have access to education, information and sanitary conditions), than for babies in the developing world to die needlessly.

I actually read the report off the Save the Children website and it is pretty shocking. Some of the poorest countries in the world have the lowest breastfeeding rates. Feeding their babies formula may cost half or more of their monthly wages. Let alone access to clean water and sterilizing equipment, like fuel for your stove. Can you imagine preparing formula in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Putting a larger warning on the packaging is just one of many reccomendations they made to reduce infant mortality connected to lack of breastfeeding. Also, they are petitioning the formula companies themselves to put the label there. They aren't petitioning for them to be forced to put a warning on it.

I think it is safe to say that Save the Children was not thinking about mothers in industrialized countries who have either had to or chosen to FF. I think if they do start putting larger labels on the cans we can all just recognize and be grateful that those warnings aren't aimed at us.

Did anyone actually read the article?

It is to stop babies in developing countries from dying. They are not saying ff is dangerous in the UK, just that uk formula might be exported to countries where FORMULA USE IS ESTIMATED TO KILL 830,000 BABIES A YEAR.

Save the children isn't an "evangelical" breastfeeding organisation. Its concern is saving children's lives.

Surely for the sake of possibly saving so many lives, people could accept a message like that on their formula tin? I don't see what the problem is, it already states on there that breast is best

I really wouldn't read the daily mail, they

are awful at reporting and twisting words. A big report has come out about underhanded tactics from formula companies in developing world, it's amazing it's still going on.

We are lucky that if we choose to formula feed we can do it in a safe/ hygienic environment. Unfortunely new mums are given free samples, lose the ability to breastfeed and babies die from this.

This is from the report

'Labels: Product labels must clearly state the superiority of breastfeeding, the need for the advice of a health worker and a warning about health hazards, and be written in the local language. No pictures of infants, or other pictures or text idealising the use of infant formula'

I don't know how anyone can be offended with this. I'm sure this is already on formula tins?

Agree with these :thumbup:

This 'article' is completely out of context and is really not helping anyone.

Save the children and other bodies like Baby Milk Action are not against YOU using formula, they're not against formula at all - it's the formula manufacturers they have a problem with.

Formula companies behave appallingly and I support anything that helps to highlight this and educate people, even if it makes some people feel guilty.

I have boycotted nestle for a while now (which isn't easy they seem to own everything!!) I also have the Baby milk Action app and will show others, only if they ask why I boycott nestle.

I also think that education won't necessary work and stop babies dying, it's the underhanded behaviour and mis-information that needs to stop.

Even here in a first world affluent country where most people get at least some education I still hear and see people saying things like "it's all the same really breast/bottle" when a simple google search will tell you that's not true.

Finally for the record - my lo has never been breastfed and has had formula since birth.

I'm ff now, after a month of expressing, couldn't get my baby to latch.. I don't see the problem with the new label.

I have no guilt over switching to ff (aside from the cost!), so maybe that helps but if it saves lives in other countries then I'm all for it.
I use sterile bottles, and boiled clean water and have no need to stretch it out, I couldn't imagine giving it to a child weak with filthy water, especially if that child could be breastfed.

If the UK members watched Daybreak this morning they'll see that it's to do with their first hour campaign. They are trying to promote bfing immediately after birth in developing countries to help combat newborn mortality. While I think a sign like that is very offensive in the developed world, its essential in developing nations where for years women have been told they lack the nutrients to properly feed their babies and are at the mercy of the manufacturers who charge extortionate amounts for formula, are fed ridiculous statements about formula fed babies having better prospects and are not in an environment to prepare bottles safely or correctly.

I haven't read the article, but the DM is known for writing in a tone that causes uproar and debate.

Another example of terrible, shock-value reporting from the Daily Fail.

The reason Save the Children have suggested this, as many PP have pointed out, is to save the lives of babies being unnecessarily ff in the developing world. And it's not just Nestle who are causing the problem. Danone is a culprit too, as explained in this article:

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/15/babies-health-formula-indonesia-breastfeeding

The formula companies bribe the midwives (with 'gifts' such as TVs, laptops and equipment for their practices such as nebulisers and oxygen tanks) in return for them promoting formula to their patients. The mothers then, understandably, think that formula must be best for their babies and so buy and feed formula without access to clean water or sterilised equipment. It's so expensive that they have to water it down to make it go further. All of which explains why so many babies die as a direct result of being formula fed IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES.

Danone explained their actions like this:

The spokesperson for Danone insists that there is no connection between these events – the gifts are just that, an act of beneficence to the midwife, to help her set up her practice, they are unconditional upon the sales of any formula. Asked why that would include a television, he said: "They use them in waiting rooms. To make them places where people would want to go, where they'd feel comfortable going." Asked about why sales reps have a relationship with midwives at all, the spokesman said: "We are permitted to have contacts with healthcare professionals, to tell them what's good about our products. Separate to that, we support midwives in setting up their practices. They're not necessarily separate people. But these are two separate activities."

Do you believe them? I don't. A local paediatrician Dr Asti Praborini, said: "Selling formula is like the killing fields, in my opinion. The babies will die of diarrhoea and they will die of malnutrition."

Now do you understand why Save the Children want this action? They are not criticising mothers in well developed countries, like the UK and US, who make well informed decisions, having access to all the relevant information, to feed their babies formula and who have the ability to prepare and feed that formula to their babies safely. They just want the formula companies to stop behaving so immorally and feel that this action would help them achieve this.

I agree that in the UK these type of labels may be uncomfortable and have a negative impact on womens' feelings about feeding their babies formula. However, in my opinion, it would be better for some of us over here to feel a little bad but to know that ultimately we are not harming our babies by feeding formula (because we have access to education, information and sanitary conditions), than for babies in the developing world to die needlessly.

Well said. I was initially raging about this but after reading more and seeing Mylene on tv this morning - i think it's the right idea. Agree more needs to be done too but this is just a part of the plan. Really need to stop reading Daily Mail app - makes me mad on an almost daily basis. Just addicted to the showbiz trash!

I am totally pro breast feeding but this news shocks me and I'm pretty disgusted to be honest with the attitude. It's not like cigs or booze but that's how this comes across to me. You know those cigarette packet warnings there to guilt trip you, I'm guessing that's just the same.

Couldn't agree more. As someone that had awful BFing guilt when it didn't work out I didn't need to see such labels. Neither do women suffering with PND. There must be other solutions for tackling the problem that don't cause more problems here too.

It's actually made me so angry that the Daily Mail has obviously purposely tried to aggravate and upset formula feeding mums with this article - it is clearly an emotive subject for so many who now feel like the have to justify themselves for something that does certainly not need to be justified to anyone. There is far more involved in the politics of formula feeding worldwide than this article would care to disclose and it's hurtful that they've twisted an important issue of worldwide infant mortality due to evil marketing tactics to a 'Breast is Best' nationwide push comparable to the NHS quit smoking campaign.

I haven't read the article, but the DM is known for writing in a tone that causes uproar and debate.

And thats true. They love a good debate, keeps us busy here too :rofl:

It's actually made me so angry that the Daily Mail has obviously purposely tried to aggravate and upset formula feeding mums with this article - it is clearly an emotive subject for so many who now feel like the have to justify themselves for something that does certainly not need to be justified to anyone. There is far more involved in the politics of formula feeding worldwide than this article would care to disclose and it's hurtful that they've twisted an important issue of worldwide infant mortality due to evil marketing tactics to a 'Breast is Best' nationwide push comparable to the NHS quit smoking campaign.

At the end of the day, i think this is spot on. Here are some of us directing anger against the STC campaign when in reality DM have just twisted stuff and got us talking, as I've come to realise

The Daily Mail are awful, it's terrible how they do this to get more reads. I really think it's great that a mainstream charity like Save the Children is getting involved with this, I think it will also help bring to light how bad some of these trusted companies are as many people aren't aware. I just hope their campaign works and less babies die.

I'm really upset someone has just said on the comments that they cancelled their monthly donation to Save The Children because of this article :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->