Save the Children asking for warning labels on formula tin

I understand the world wide need for this information to be on packaging but I don't think it will make a difference in 3rd world countries because all the companies will do is send them packaging not in their language which is what they did before

Any bit of information that gets through to the mothers is worth it, and some of it is likely to.

Why do t nestle stop all this crap and jut send cartons instead!

Why do t nestle stop all this crap and jut send cartons instead!

More expensive so effects their profit.

They care more about profit then people. Third world countries are easy to target because they are vulnerable

I will just never get it. Why would anyone feel 'guilt' about the way they feed their perfectly healthy, surviving baby? Why would anyone care more about that than saving the lives of babies.

Of course, this is mainly about the developing world, but babies in the developed world get sick and (admittedly and thankfully rarely) die from being given formula too. Parents deserve to have all the facts and be enabled to make an informed choice.

You've only got to look at the comments under the daily fail website to see that people often think formula is equal to or better than breast milk.

As for no Nestlé formula in the UK, I believe Nestlé now own SMA. :nope:

I will just never get it. Why would anyone feel 'guilt' about the way they feed their perfectly healthy, surviving baby? Why would anyone care more about that than saving the lives of babies.

Of course, this is mainly about the developing world, but babies in the developed world get sick and (admittedly and thankfully rarely) die from being given formula too. Parents deserve to have all the facts and be enabled to make an informed choice.

You've only got to look at the comments under the daily fail website to see that people often think formula is equal to or better than breast milk.

I think I heard that about SMA too. Here's a list of other Nestlé products in the UK https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/boycotts/currentboycottslist/nestleboycottprofile.aspx

Formula use in the third world is a problem that's for sure. Trouble is, the guilt felt by first time Mums for using formula is so huge any attempt to further point it out will cause great upset. As a second time FF'ing Mum I couldn't care less if they painted the tin bright red with enormous neon writing saying 'Evil!' I would still use it because I am forever grateful to have the choice to use it and see nothing wrong with using it. But it takes time to make peace with formula as it is painted as such a bad thing.

I understand where Save the Children are coming from now but when I first had to FF it would have killed me seeing warnings like that.

I genuinely can't believe that some women are putting their own feelings of guilt for ffing over the fact that these labels could save even one babies life! Maybe if you had the chance to see the conditions that others have to live in then you'd realise how lucky your babies are to get formula. This thread is so depressing to read :-(

I honestly didn't realize this was being directed to more 3rd world countries with dirty water and stuff. I can overcome my guilt if its ment for them. I thought it was just anther pro breastfeeding campaign. Which I honestly have no problem with but it just seemed like a huge Surgon general type warning slapped on a formula tin is hurtful.

But like I said i can totally deal with it now that I realize what it's directed towards

I'm not sure anybody is actually reading into the article, only seeing what's in front of them,which is basically a formula tin being sold like a packet of cigarettes:shrug:

I don't know if this would make a huge amount of difference but then if it saves a few hundred babies lives then I can't see the problem.
Does anyone know how much formula is sold in developing countries... I assumed the number would be really low. If they haven't got access to clean water how would they afford to buy formula??

Of course no one should feel guilty about how they feed their babies but the ones who really did try their best... Of course it will hit a nerve.

I'm not sure anybody is actually reading into the article, only seeing what's in front of them,which is basically a formula tin being sold like a packet of cigarettes:shrug:

I don't know if this would make a huge amount of difference but then if it saves a few hundred babies lives then I can't see the problem.
Does anyone know how much formula is sold in developing countries... I assumed the number would be really low. If they haven't got access to clean water how would they afford to buy formula??

Of course no one should feel guilty about how they feed their babies but the ones who really did try their best... Of course it will hit a nerve.

that's the whole problem, they can't afford it! Formula companies give samples to new mums promoting how good it is. The women can't afford to keep buying it but by then their milk supply has reduced and they're no longer able to Bf. They end up stretching out the formula as much as possible & its usually made with dirty water. This is what causes so many deaths

I understand where Save the Children are coming from now but when I first had to FF it would have killed me seeing warnings like that.
That's a pretty insensitive thing to say, considering formula use literally does kill babies in the third world.

I wonder why, even after it's been pointed out several times in this thread that the warnings are intended for third world countries, people are still coming in here talking about how upset they are at a label that won't even affect them:shrug:

that's the whole problem, they can't afford it! Formula companies give samples to new mums promoting how good it is. The women can't afford to keep buying it but by then their milk supply has reduced and they're no longer able to Bf. They end up stretching out the formula as much as possible & its usually made with dirty water. This is what causes so many deaths

Yes I understand that, I remember the whole Nestlé scandal from years ago, I just wondered the statistics on how many people do use it and who would choose to buy it over breastfeeding which typically is the norm? Im not sure a company would be allowed to do this now ( give formula away) would they on the ethical grounds? WHO would be straight on their backs.

Yes I understand that, I remember the whole Nestlé scandal from years ago, I just wondered the statistics on how many people do use it and who would choose to buy it over breastfeeding which typically is the norm? Im not sure a company would be allowed to do this now ( give formula away) would they on the ethical grounds? WHO would be straight on their backs.

I think in Vietnam, for example, breast feeding rates a less than 20%. In Thailand it is as low as 5%.

In these countries and others formula is seen as something to aspire to, something rich people use and breast feeding is seen as something for the poor or underclasses. :nope: Formula is also largely seen as superior to breast milk.

In developing countries formula companies eat up deals with midwives and doctors to push their products. To give away free samples and formula use is heavily encouraged by health professionals. Families can't afford it, it can cost half their income to buy formula. Formula companies know the heavy promotion of their product kills babies, but they don't care because it makes them money.

They shouldn't be able to get away with it, but they do. This is just one reason why I would do everything within my power not to use their products.

I think in Vietnam, for example, breast feeding rates a less than 20%. In Thailand it is as low as 5%.

In these countries and others formula is seen as something to aspire to, something rich people use and breast feeding is seen as something for the poor or underclasses. :nope: Formula is also largely seen as superior to breast milk.

In developing countries formula companies eat up deals with midwives and doctors to push their products. To give away free samples and formula use is heavily encouraged by health professionals. Families can't afford it, it can cost half their income to buy formula. Formula companies know the heavy promotion of their product kills babies, but they don't care because it makes them money.

They shouldn't be able to get away with it, but they do. This is just one reason why I would do everything within my power not to use their products.
A Chinese colleague of my husband wanted to buy loads of formula for friends back in China and we showed him where to get the best deal. The brand he wanted had been taken off the shelves because of bacteria that had been found in the latest batch, and the reason it's so popular in China is it's considered the best thing a baby can have:nope:

Wow as low as that??

So why can't WHO step in ?? Do have no jurisdiction over countries or are they just for guidelines?

Wow as low as that??

So why can't WHO step in ?? Do have no jurisdiction over countries or are they just for guidelines?

Exactly that. They cannot interfere with each countries laws, they can just advise. Countries such as Vietnam don't follow the WHO code. :nope:

I genuinely can't believe that some women are putting their own feelings of guilt for ffing over the fact that these labels could save even one babies life! Maybe if you had the chance to see the conditions that others have to live in then you'd realise how lucky your babies are to get formula. This thread is so depressing to read :-(

Totally agree! First world privilege at it's finest.

I think more needs to be done to stop formula companies from sending samples to third world countries rather than just sticking a warning on the tins. I have two issues with the effectiveness of the warnings. First, will they be in a language that the people they are meant for can understand? Second, if they are meant for third world countries, do these people have enough of an education to have learned how to read?

That's a pretty insensitive thing to say, considering formula use literally does kill babies in the third world.

I wonder why, even after it's been pointed out several times in this thread that the warnings are intended for third world countries, people are still coming in here talking about how upset they are at a label that won't even affect them:shrug:

I apologise it it was a poor choice of words it was not intended to offend. Devastated would be a better word.

You may not understand why these labels upset people, maybe you have never dealt with formula guilt or just never felt bad for using formula which is great, but I am just saying they will upset people. My point was, when you are going through formula guilt you are often too hormonal, too upset, to see the bigger picture, you just see your own situation and it feels like it is a personal attack on you. Over time you realise it is not and you can see the bigger picture but it's hard at the time.

I believe people are talking about these labels as the article suggested that packaging in all areas may need to be changed with these warnings added everywhere, to stop formula companies exporting European/US formula to poorer countries to get round adding warning labels to formula for poorer countries. It has been a few days since I read the article but I think that's what it said. Sorry if I am wrong. So those labels may affect everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->