Save the Children asking for warning labels on formula tin

If formula companies are allowed to pretty to do as they please with regards to false advertising and pushing formula in third world countries, would they not just use different tins in such places?

I'm just tired of seeing so much hatred against formula feeding....in my case, breastfeeding would have been worse then formula feeding due to the nature of my job. We all can't be SAHMs so I do feel disrespected by a lot of people even on this site.

And my decisions where well informed. I breastfed both of mine until I had to return to work (six weeks). I work with hazardous chemicals. No lactation consultants could promise me that nothing would get in the milk if I pumped. The suggestion was made to wear two shirts. I constantly wash my hands around here but honestly there are some days I go home straight to the shower before I even touch LO because of what I handled that day.

You don't have to justify your decision you know, it is your choice to make, whatever the reason. :flower:

I don't think there is anyone on this site who shows hatred for FF, I really don't. I think some people hate the companies that make and push formula, regardless of the fact they know babies will die because of this and I would certainly class myself as one of them. I also hate that formula companies work to undermine Mothers who want to breastfeed so that they can sell more of their product. I hate that they try and hide facts from women to sell m ore of their product. I don't hate formula though, or women that choose to feed formula, why would I?

If formula companies are allowed to pretty to do as they please with regards to false advertising and pushing formula in third world countries, would they not just use different tins in such places?

The aim of this campaign isn't to make it law for formula companies to put these warnings in place, it is to try and get the formula companies to co-operate and agree to put the warnings on of their own free will. Of course, they don't want to do that, but by raising awareness of their disgusting and underhand tactics, they may be more likely to.

The aim of this campaign isn't to make it law for formula companies to put these warnings in place, it is to try and get the formula companies to co-operate and agree to put the warnings on of their own free will. Of course, they don't want to do that, but by raising awareness of their disgusting and underhand tactics, they may be more likely to.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just didn't get it.

For those who say it would make them feel more guilty, I do get that, I was ashamed every single time I bought formula, and that was without a notice, however I think it's not only necessary for changing things globally, but also for raising much needed awareness and popularity of BF in the UK. If formula packaging mentioned something simple like that formula top ups for a newborn can cause BF problems, how many people would be successful at BF and more aware?

It doesn't even have to be written offensively like on cig packets, it just has to be obvious and provide useful facts.

I understand that people might be upset or offended by the labels but when it comes down to it, people's feelings aren't worth more than people's lives. I would happily be offended every day of my life if it meant that babies' lives were being saved.

I understand that people might be upset or offended by the labels but when it comes down to it, people's feelings aren't worth more than people's lives. I would happily be offended every day of my life if it meant that babies' lives were being saved.

but it's not a guarantee? If countries that are so poor, whose to say their citizens can read? I agree to feed the mother, feed the baby quite honestly but that's not going to be show by putting something on a formula can.

Honestly, who cares if you're offended??? Maybe you can go & be offended with your lovely, healthy baby while some people in the world work to help those whose babies won't be thriving.

but it's not a guarantee? If countries that are so poor, whose to say their citizens can read? I agree to feed the mother, feed the baby quite honestly but that's not going to be show by putting something on a formula can.

Yes, because of course, Save The Children won't have considers that, they're obviously just out to offend Mothers who formula feed, far more important than saving the lives of the 6,050 babies that have died since this thread was started.... :nope:

ffs I'm trying move aside from the offense issue but I'm the one getting slagged! All I'm saying is a freaking label on a fucking formula tin isn't the damn answer!

EDUCATION! :dohh:

I'm sure formula feeders and breast feeders SHOULD be able to agree on that???????????????????????????????????????

Of course its not a guarantee but everything that can help prevent those deaths helps.

Obviously Save The Children, who will have researched this at length. There wasn't a problem until formula companies decided to bowl in and try and sell their product. Breast feeding was the norm and it was the only option available, everyone did it. It doesn't matter if the women are educated, we are educated in tho country about BF but FF is still the norm and health professionals cant be paid or bribed it this country to sell formula.

but what I want to know how is educating them after they decided to ff going to help? I mean if they are picking up a tin of formula and it's obvious the formula made up incorrectly or with unsanitary water is what is killing them then that kind of defeats the purpose? Are they providing clean water?

Presumably they hope the parents will read the warnings before they use the formula? Didn't you read the tin before you started using it? I imagine most people do. I read everything before I use it, medication labels, baby food (well, snacks) etc.

No, they are not going to provide clean water. save The Children have said that they feel the labelling is more easily done and will be more effective.

Any of you read the politics of breastfeeding? eye opener. Actually made me angry in parts.

Presumably they hope the parents will read the warnings before they use the formula? Didn't you read the tin before you started using it? I imagine most people do. I read everything before I use it, medication labels, baby food (well, snacks) etc.

No, they are not going to provide clean water. save The Children have said that they feel the labelling is more easily done and will be more effective.

Yes I do but then again educated people do. We are speaking about people who do we even know if they can read? I'm just thinking about all aspects of this. I teach chemistry and teach them to read but dammit if most of the time they don't or don't understand what they are reading.

then how do they get the clean water?

Didnt unicef ban formula at one point? I believe sma sent a lot to them and it was causing babies to get ill so it had to be stopped. Its also mentioned in that book I mentioned to.

Yes I do but then again educated people do. We are speaking about people who do we even know if they can read? I'm just thinking about all aspects of this. I teach chemistry and teach them to read but dammit if most of the time they don't or don't understand what they are reading.

then how do they get the clean water?

The way I see it is if mum in developing country is persuaded by the formula company (be it through the midwife who has been 'sweetened' or whatever) that they are better off formula feeding (assuming they are able to BF) then maybe they will see the label which says otherwise and has the warning about the water on before she uses it.

I guess it would also make it harder for the formula companies to make false claims to those not as fortunate to be educated on this if the correct info was clearly printed on the tin.

In a perfect world yes education would be the answer but who pays for this? The formula companies sure as hell won't and how does a charity compete with a no doubt multi billion pound business with no conscience?

Forgot to say yes I take your point on the reading issue, but assuming some can read then it's better than not having it there at all? Maybe there is a way they could convey the message graphically?

There seems to be a the misconception that this is the one recommendation that Save the Children is making. Not the case. They issued a 75 page report with dozens of recommendations, most of them focused on increasing education.

I really recommend giving the report a look if you have a few minutes. There is so much more in it than just how formula companies operate!

For example
Many women are not free to make their own decisions about whether they will breastfeed or for how long. In Pakistan, a survey of mothers of infants under six months old undertaken by Save the Children in 2012 revealed that only 44% of mothers considered themselves the prime decision-maker regarding the way that their children were fed. When asked to specify the main decision-maker on issues related to the infant’s feeding practices (up to six months of age), 22% of mothers said it was other relatives (primarily the mother-in-law) and the rest cited health professionals or traditional birth attendants.20
Can you imagine the Baby Club thread that would spark!

It is really eye opening. You can read it here https://www.savethechildren.org/atf/cf/%7B9def2ebe-10ae-432c-9bd0-df91d2eba74a%7D/SUPERFOOD%20FOR%20BABIES%20ASIA%20LOW%20RES(2).PDF

Honestly, I'm glad they are trying to put labels like this on formula cans if it means that there are some women in third world countries who will see it and re-consider giving their baby that formula. I had to combi-feed my son for the first 4 weeks after he was born because of his tongue tie (couldn't latch properly), and although I felt terrible about it, I would put those feelings aside in a heartbeat to save these babies' lives.

In developed areas like US, UK, Canada, etc, we have the privilege (yup, I'm going there) of having lactation consultants, breastfeeding, classes, and proper knowledge of the many amazing benefits of breastfeeding. Just like many people on here feel like they are being forced to breastfeed or it's being shoved down their throat, formula feeding is being shoved down these poor mothers' throat and they don't even have the proper education on breastfeeding to fight back. It's absolutely disgusting to me how these companies exploit these third world countries and it's disappointing that there are only a few organizations stepping in. These women and these health care workers need proper education on breastfeeding, maternal healthcare, and nutrition. If only money was being spent on those things instead of formula.

There seems to be a the misconception that this is the one recommendation that Save the Children is making. Not the case. They issued a 75 page report with dozens of recommendations, most of them focused on increasing education.

I really recommend giving the report a look if you have a few minutes. There is so much more in it than just how formula companies operate!

For example
Many women are not free to make their own decisions about whether they will breastfeed or for how long. In Pakistan, a survey of mothers of infants under six months old undertaken by Save the Children in 2012 revealed that only 44% of mothers considered themselves the prime decision-maker regarding the way that their children were fed. When asked to specify the main decision-maker on issues related to the infant’s feeding practices (up to six months of age), 22% of mothers said it was other relatives (primarily the mother-in-law) and the rest cited health professionals or traditional birth attendants.20
Can you imagine the Baby Club thread that would spark!

It is really eye opening. You can read it here https://www.savethechildren.org/atf/cf/%7B9def2ebe-10ae-432c-9bd0-df91d2eba74a%7D/SUPERFOOD%20FOR%20BABIES%20ASIA%20LOW%20RES(2).PDF

I was just about to post nearly exactly the same thing! Wish people wouldn't get their 'information' from the tabloid media and then rant about it without educating themselves properly about the issue.

Save the Children have at no point mentioned 'cigarette style warnings' - that's just how it has been reported in the press. What they actually said (quote from their report) was:

While the International Code states that companies must include health warnings and details of the benefits of breastfeeding, in practice these warnings cover a small proportion of packaging, are written in small type and are designed to be unobtrusive. To strengthen the power of these warnings, national laws should specify that health warnings should cover one third of any breast-milk substitute packaging.

I don't see any suggestion there that people should be told that formula is 'poison' or 'deadly' - just that the warnings that are already on there should be large enough to be visible and obvious.

Plus there are a hell of a lot more recommendations - Save the Children are NOT saying stick a bigger label on formula and the problem will be resolved. However, the Daily Mail (and others) know that proper reporting of all the facts is not 'controversial' enough so choose to report only part of the story.

If you're really interested, take the time to read the report - then make objections

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->