Save the Children asking for warning labels on formula tin

I genuinely can't believe that some women are putting their own feelings of guilt for ffing over the fact that these labels could save even one babies life! Maybe if you had the chance to see the conditions that others have to live in then you'd realise how lucky your babies are to get formula. This thread is so depressing to read :-(

Totally agree! First world privilege at it's finest.

Not first world privilege, rather hormones and lack of sleep! I'm sure if you asked women a few years down the line, like myself, they would completely agree with you.

Does anyone know how much formula is sold in developing countries...

This is from the guardian article about the report from Save the Children.

But two-thirds of the 92 million children who are not exclusively breastfed live in just 10 countries – India, China, Nigeria, Indonesia, Philippines, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Democratic Republic of the Congo – seven of which have some of the highest child mortality rates in the world.

That was the most shocking thing to me. I had no idea how prevalent formula feeding is in such impoverished countries.

I looked into it some more and look at this press release from Nestle, I found it on the Nestle website--
Vevey, Switzerland,December 1, 2012
Nestlé completes acquisition of Pfizer Nutrition for USD 11.85 billion
Integration process, that will see approximately 4,500 Pfizer Nutrition employees join Nestlé, is underway
Acquisition enhances Nestlé’s infant nutrition business in key segments and geographies
Regulatory process concluded in most markets.
Following the successful conclusion of the regulatory process in most markets, Nestlé completed the acquisition of Pfizer Nutrition on 30 November 2012. Consequently, the integration process of Pfizer Nutrition into Nestlé Nutrition, that will see approximately 4,500 employees of Pfizer Nutrition join the Nestlé Group, is underway.
Pfizer Nutrition’s strong brands and product portfolio, together with its geographic presence, complements Nestlé’s Infant Nutrition business. 85% of its sales are in emerging markets, many of them with large, fast-growing populations. Building on our growth-focused strategy, global presence and pioneering research and development, the newly enlarged business will enhance our ability to become parents’ trusted partner, offering them a wider choice of nutritious food to ensure their children make a healthy start to a healthy life.
In Australia, Nestlé’s remedy commitments, which are not material in the overall context of the transaction, have satisfied the regulators. The regulatory approval process is still underway in Kenya, South Africa and five Latin American countries. We continue to review our strategic options in those countries.

The part that I put in bold makes my blood boil. "Emerging Markets" is basically corporate-speak for developing countries.

Does anyone know how much formula is sold in developing countries...

This is from the guardian article about the report from Save the Children.

But two-thirds of the 92 million children who are not exclusively breastfed live in just 10 countries – India, China, Nigeria, Indonesia, Philippines, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Democratic Republic of the Congo – seven of which have some of the highest child mortality rates in the world.

That was the most shocking thing to me. I had no idea how prevalent formula feeding is in such impoverished countries.

I looked into it some more and look at this press release from Nestle, I found it on the Nestle website--
Vevey, Switzerland,December 1, 2012
Nestlé completes acquisition of Pfizer Nutrition for USD 11.85 billion
Integration process, that will see approximately 4,500 Pfizer Nutrition employees join Nestlé, is underway
Acquisition enhances Nestlé’s infant nutrition business in key segments and geographies
Regulatory process concluded in most markets.
Following the successful conclusion of the regulatory process in most markets, Nestlé completed the acquisition of Pfizer Nutrition on 30 November 2012. Consequently, the integration process of Pfizer Nutrition into Nestlé Nutrition, that will see approximately 4,500 employees of Pfizer Nutrition join the Nestlé Group, is underway.
Pfizer Nutrition’s strong brands and product portfolio, together with its geographic presence, complements Nestlé’s Infant Nutrition business. 85% of its sales are in emerging markets, many of them with large, fast-growing populations. Building on our growth-focused strategy, global presence and pioneering research and development, the newly enlarged business will enhance our ability to become parents’ trusted partner, offering them a wider choice of nutritious food to ensure their children make a healthy start to a healthy life.
In Australia, Nestlé’s remedy commitments, which are not material in the overall context of the transaction, have satisfied the regulators. The regulatory approval process is still underway in Kenya, South Africa and five Latin American countries. We continue to review our strategic options in those countries.

The part that I put in bold makes my blood boil. "Emerging Markets" is basically corporate-speak for developing countries.

Wow that's awful:nope:

I havnt the time to read all the thread but seen the debate online in past 2 days.

Its always severe thrashing or nothing. It seems hard to just try and get some more education out there but shock tactics seem to be thrown about. The all or nothing scenario. There are risks with formula feeding, many dont know about. But this may not be the way to promote breastfeeding. We know many woman cant breastfeed and this wouldnt help them at all. But we also know many mums choose formula right away not knowing the benefits of breastfeeding. This needs highlighted. I would like to see what the tin warning looked like, I think people assume its going to say your kid will die or have a pic of a dead baby on it or something but I dont think it will. Out of interest I would like to see.

well to put a "cigarette" warning type label IMHO is WRONG...this coming from a formula feeder and not because I have guilt but because my dad is fighting for his life right because he did smoke. I don't think my child is going to be fighting for her life and honestly it insults me...

Yes I'm waiting for the insults to come about how insensitive I am!

ETA: do you honestly think the label will be in their language anyway???

Why can't money be put in to education rather than a sign? Surely some missionaries could take time to educate these people about more than Christ? Just suggestions.

I dont think they are comparing smoking to formula though, the comparison is out of order. I think its the label style they refer to. I also would like to know what that will say does it imply formula can kill or warnings of some other kind. But I agree with you over comer, its not the right way to go. And thats coming from someone who never formula fed. They could do with educating poeple on helping mums succeed and supporting breastfeeding in the community instead of leaving mums open to not succeeding.

well to put a "cigarette" warning type label IMHO is WRONG...this coming from a formula feeder and not because I have guilt but because my dad is fighting for his life right because he did smoke. I don't think my child is going to be fighting for her life and honestly it insults me...

Yes I'm waiting for the insults to come about how insensitive I am!

ETA: do you honestly think the label will be in their language anyway???

Why can't money be put in to education rather than a sign? Surely some missionaries could take time to educate these people about more than Christ? Just suggestions.

I'm sorry about your dad. I think I saw it mentioned that part of the campaign is to get the warnings put on in the local language. I also agree that more education is needed as although your child is not going to be fighting for their life a child in the third world is likely to be in that situation.

I would be curious to see what the labels say as well. Perhaps they could make it specific to the problems faced in developing countries to avoid offending people in the UK? Like "formula is discouraged if you do not have access to clean drinking water" and state the dangers in preparing formula without clean water, or something along those lines.

Whatever whew warnings say, it is not going to be a lie, is it, due to UK advertising regulations.

I honestly don't get why people want to pretend to themselves that what they feed their baby is something it isn't. Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk, many babies thrive on it, but many babies die from it too and some of those are in the developed world.

Giving a baby formula milk increase the risk of illnesses, whatever country you live in. Instead of covering their ears and trying to pretend this isn't true, why don't parents want to inform themselves so they can reduce that risk as much as possible? You've only got to look on this forum to see h ow many parents make their baby's formula up incorrectly. :nope:

Whatever whew warnings say, it is not going to be a lie, is it, due to UK advertising regulations.

I honestly don't get why people want to pretend to themselves that what they feed their baby is something it isn't. Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk, many babies thrive on it, but many babies die from it too and some of those are in the developed world.

Giving a baby formula milk increase the risk of illnesses, whatever country you live in. Instead of covering their ears and trying to pretend this isn't true, why don't parents want to inform themselves so they can reduce that risk as much as possible? You've only got to look on this forum to see h ow many parents make their baby's formula up incorrectly. :nope:

here's where it turns into the same ole debate...I get a bit pissed off with people telling me my choices are wrong. I'm going to kill my baby by vaccinating etc blah blah blah. I was told by a friend when I told her I was switching to formula not to feed that "poison" to my baby! No one said in this thread that it was adequate to breastmilk! GEEZ! This is the attitude from breastfeeders that I cannot stand. The "omg formula is evil and your baby will die" attitude! *sigh*

here's where it turns into the same ole debate...I get a bit pissed off with people telling me my choices are wrong. I'm going to kill my baby by vaccinating etc blah blah blah. I was told by a friend when I told her I was switching to formula not to feed that "poison" to my baby! No one said in this thread that it was adequate to breastmilk! GEEZ! This is the attitude from breastfeeders that I cannot stand. The "omg formula is evil and your baby will die" attitude! *sigh*
I don't think midorri is saying that at all.
I'm a pro breast feeder , although I formula fed my 2 boys after weeks/ months ... So I'm also pro choice!
What she's saying is no matter how you look at it, formula does carry risks unfortunately. Gastroenteritis is one of them and a lot of babies can get ill from making feeds up incorrectly.Strangely enough I've heard people say they've made up formula from the hot water tap, putting milk back in the fridge that has previously been microwaved... The list goes on!.that's someone who can speak and read English !
If your making up feeds correctly then there's nothing on the sticker really that should concern you. I wouldn't be offended by the sticker at all.

but it's NOT formula! It's people's ignorance! So yea it is a bit offensive when I read formula kills or it is poison!

:shrug:
but it's NOT formula! It's people's ignorance! So yea it is a bit offensive when I read formula kills or it is poison!

But if the sticker said 'if this formula is not made within these specific guidelines it may cause illness or fatality' that's not really lying or trying to make mums feel guilty

Where did I tell you your choices were wrong? You can make whatever choices you like, but shouldn't that be an informed choice? I didn't say formula was evil or poison. What I said was formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk and some babies thrive on it.

As for it not being formula that kills. Yes, sometimes it is. Formula powder can contain salmonella and cronobacter amongst other bacteria. Both of which can kill your baby. Water has to be 70C to kill bacteria in milk powder. Formula is also a major factor in NEC, which is largely fatal in premature babies.

Just to add, I have formula fed in the past, I'm not criticising anyone's choices.

Oh, and I'm not a 'breastfeeder'. I'm a pant, just like you. I also happen to breast feed my baby. (Well, this one)

I'm just tired of seeing so much hatred against formula feeding....in my case, breastfeeding would have been worse then formula feeding due to the nature of my job. We all can't be SAHMs so I do feel disrespected by a lot of people even on this site.

I dont think the possible dangers of formula will ever come across well.

If its any consultation overcomer breastfeeders get called names all the time especially by the media. Its not nice at all, I wouldnt call a ff mum anything as I know how it feels. But I do wish some facts where allowed out.

And my decisions where well informed. I breastfed both of mine until I had to return to work (six weeks). I work with hazardous chemicals. No lactation consultants could promise me that nothing would get in the milk if I pumped. The suggestion was made to wear two shirts. I constantly wash my hands around here but honestly there are some days I go home straight to the shower before I even touch LO because of what I handled that day.

I would be curious to see what the labels say as well. Perhaps they could make it specific to the problems faced in developing countries to avoid offending people in the UK? Like "formula is discouraged if you do not have access to clean drinking water" and state the dangers in preparing formula without clean water, or something along those lines.
Yes, because that should be considered one of the main factors when it comes to third world hunger and disease.:thumbup:

I am so tired of this culture of people being "offended" and trying to make every possible subject about them. It stifles debate and makes people forget what is really at stake.

Yes, because that should be considered one of the main factors when it comes to third world hunger and disease.:thumbup:

I am so tired of this culture of people being "offended" and trying to make every possible subject about them. It stifles debate and makes people forget what is really at stake.

Me too. It genuinely really pisses me off. Gain some perspective!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->