saw consultant today..said to book a sweep for next friday at 40weeks

Luxoire

Mummy to 2 gorgeous babies
Reaction score
Do they hurt? I really dont want to get induced but I dont want to opt for more pain wih labour looming round the corner..

What happend if it doesnt work after 48hrs? Do I need to takd a pad with me?

A bit confused. ...

Hi, I'm in the same position so I can't really help but Just want you to know I'm feeling a similar way x

So your mw will get you to lie down with your feet together and legs open. She will insert two fingers into your vagina and try to locate your cervix. Sometimes if its too far up or two closed she won't be able to do the sweep. It depends on where it is to whether it hurts. With my first child it didn't hurt at all just felt weird. This time my cervix was quite posterior and so she had to push to find it and it wad painful. Take a pad for after as you may bleed and have a show. You might feel very crampy and uncomfortable afterwards. Normally you will be offered a follow up sweep if the first doesn't work. Basically try to relax. It's not the most pleasant experience but you need to relax so you don't tighten up. I just focused on the ceiling and breathed deeply through it.

Most babies don't come on their due date, so why are they offering you a sweep so early? That's what I'd be wondering. Sweeps are uncomfortable and can cause enough irritation that contractions start but don't necessarily come to anything, so it could be lots of bother for nothing. Sweeps don't do much unless your body's ready to go into labour anyway. Babies come when they're ready, and unless there's a medical reason to induce, I'd steer clear of all interventions. xx (I had x2 sweeps in my first pregnancy and won't ask for or consent to one this time.)

Most babies don't come on their due date, so why are they offering you a sweep so early? That's what I'd be wondering. Sweeps are uncomfortable and can cause enough irritation that contractions start but don't necessarily come to anything, so it could be lots of bother for nothing. Sweeps don't do much unless your body's ready to go into labour anyway. Babies come when they're ready, and unless there's a medical reason to induce, I'd steer clear of all interventions. xx (I had x2 sweeps in my first pregnancy and won't ask for or consent to one this time.)

Nhs guidelines offer first time Mums a sweep at 40 weeks. Obviously up to lady if she accepts. It's true they only work if your body is ready but for me I will do it to try to avoid induction like last time.

I've got one booked next Wednesday, I'll be 38+6, im dreading it and i am as clueless as you.
I suspect it will be unpleasant but I suppose it's nothing compared to childbirth!
I have opted to try a VBAC this time around so ideally they don't want me going passed my due date. I've been feeling lots of pressure down below and been quite crampy so I'm hoping my body is already preparing for labour! Eek
I'll pop back and let you know how it goes :thumbup:

Hey lAdies thanks for all he advice...I didn't knoe it was nhs guidelines. .makes sense! I really wsnt to svoiinduction as i hear its twice as painful as a normal birth. so If a sweep is wat will make me avoid induction ..then I will hive I a shot..whether or not I agree to s second one will depend on hoe painful first one is....I just wsnt yo be prepared. I hate the thot of it..I hope its more discomfort than pain! !!

A pad?!!! What's that? Can't remember the last time I used one..9 months of no periods is comin to sn enf hhh..

VBAC mamas, read up on the ICAN and Birth Rights websites. I wish you perfect VBACs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->