scan for Downs?

T

tinytoes

I'm having a scan next week to assess the chances of downs syndrome. It seems pretty routine where I live, and DB and I decided to have it as eventhough we would not consider termination we would appreciate the extra planning time if I baby did have downs syndrome. We are also told there is no risk to baby with this test. Unlike the amnio-whatsit.

Anyway, I was just wondering what to expect - has anyone else had one?
Will it be just like a normal scan?
Through the belly or vaginal? Nothing painful?
Does it take long?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!..

In case you're not sure what I'm on about, this is it:

From 11 to 14 weeks of pregnancy, a special ultrasound scan called a nuchal translucency (NT) test can be performed. This measures the fluid under the skin at the back of the baby's neck and can be used to determine your risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome.

There is also a blood test which you can have either in combination with the NT scan (the Combined Test) or on its own.

I had it, they just lump it in with the 12 week scan stuff. So they won't just be looking at that, they also check that the baby has a brain, heart is beating, has arms and legs and hands and feet, check the dating, check that it's tummy and stomach look okay....

At least that's what they did on mine. At our hospital you can still have the scan but opt to not have the nuchal thing measured so you won't get a downs risk assessment. It's literally a measurement they take of a bit of fluid at the back of baby's neck. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Some people don't have it because they don't want to know if there baby maybe has downs. I had it though, because I want to prepare. In our area, if your risk is higher than 1:250 (so 1:249, 1:248) they offer you further testing (so amniosentisis (spelling!) or some villus sampling stuff (sorry I'm not sure of the exact test but I think it's called chronic villus sampling)) but I was 1:21500 or something like that, so really low risk.

I guess it's up to you but the scan itself is definitely nothing to worry about.

oh and they do it just like a normal scan, through the belly and i think it took about 5-10 minutes for me, but that was mainly because she was showing us different bits of the baby and different views, not just the downs assessment bit. I think I had the blood test as well...they just took loads of blood to check for all sorts. I decided, like you, I would keep the baby if it had downs (or most things for that matter), but that I'd rather have an idea about what we should expect.

thanks ladies. I think mine is just the downs scan as my usual gyno is sending me to a special person for it, rather than doing the U/S himself, but i may be wrong. maybe my usual doc's machine isnt as good.

could u take away a pic?

thanks for your reassurance.I feel less worried now.
so it's through the belly? thanks.

hiya when the midwife asked me if i wanted to find out the risk of the baby having downs she said theyd just phone if there was anything wrong, how come most people are told high risk or low risk points, they just said theyd phone me if there was a problem and they never phoned so i guess its ok but everyone seems to have numberd points? xxxxx

For us it was just a normal ultrasound scan and we got to buy a few photos as usual. They take measurements from the nuchal fold I think it's called (forgive me if im wrong) basically the area at the back of the neck.. if it's over a certain amount of space, they consider it higher risk. Then they work out the risk on their computer depending on both partners ages etc.

Hope that helps.

It is basically just a regular ultrasound. I had it when I was 12 weeks.
They measure the thickness of the nuchal fold in the back of the baby's neck.
If there is a significant collection of fluid, the fold is thicker than normal and there is a high chance that the baby will have DS or some other neural tube deformity.
I got my results back as 1:32 000.
Puts your mind at ease.

omi... i don't know if i could handle. obviously i would have to. but that is not a test i am looking fwd to.. there are so many worries

i dont think u have to do the test
where i live you dont have to and i dont think i am going to, as far as i know it gives you statistics and here they do it in wk 17 and u get the results only at wk 19. scary stuff..

that must be a different test. This is a test you must have been weeks 11 and weeks 14 I believe. This is the time when the measurements can be taken.

I would like to know if I'm high risk, so i can prepare mentally just in case. I will love this little baby no matter what, I do already, but I'd like all the help I can get if it's needed, and time to get my head around things would be a big help to me.

As far as I've heard the results are immediate. They pop the measurements and things in the computer whilst I'm there.
Least I hope so.

didnt mean to offend anyone , maybe it is a different test
unfortunately i had a friend who did the test and they gave her a high statistic
she ended up going through a lot of emotional turmoil and having to have an amnio and it turned out her baby is just fine , so im somewhat tainted by that experience.

i totally understand why ppl do the test, its just not my choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->