scan/LMP dates - overdue & induction

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
my EDD based on my dating scan was 29 Dec, however based on my LMP and ovulation date (which I am 100% sure about as I was obsessively TTCing) it should have been 5 Jan, a week later. I was surprised about this at my 12w scan, but then had so many other things to worry about that I forgot about it. Now it became important - the difference makes me either 41+5 (scan) or 40+5 (LMP).
Just came back from my MW and based on my scan date she booked me for an induction. I really wanted to avoid it, as I was hoping for a water birth at my MLU, so I am considering waiting a couple of extra days (until I am 41+ according to my dates). I know I would be monitored and scan daily etc etc. I am 50% effaced and about 2cm dilated, so a couple of extra days might do the trick...

Is it worth it? Am I being stubborn/unreasonable?

Firstly, although they act as if you do, you DON'T have to be induced. They told me I had to be last time and even though I knew I didn't, I buckled under the pressure and so wish I hadn't as my labour started independent of the pessary very suddenly when by MY dates she was 41 + 6, but by theirs was 42 + 2. She was ready to come then, showed no signs of having been in the water too long, the placenta was healthy and intact...

Get someone to come to your next appointment or call and ask to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives at the hospital and say that you are happy to be monitored but since you are showing positive signs already and you are very sure of your dates, you don't agree to being induced unless a specific medical reason says you should, and that you are very happy to have regular monitoring and a scan etc in the meantime and reassess in a few days/a week etc.

It is hard to stick up for yourself as they are so used to women doing as they are told so do have support. I recently had to write to the linical Midwifery Manager to get listened to but it did work and now the local midwifery team have changed their guidance as it was wrong.

Noone can mke you be induced. They might make it difficult for you to have a bab y at the MLU if you are outside their dates so the Supervisor of Midwives is a good bet as she has some input. If you have trouble also contact PALS (patient liaison) at your local hospital as they are fab at supporting you.

PS No, you are not being stubborn or unreasonable.

Have you tried reflexology or acupuncture? Even try googling acupressure points for labour and massaging them. I know even some midwives who have recommended those treatments if you are overdue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEcLSHTI0s

thanks becstar!

Firstly, although they act as if you do, you DON'T have to be induced. They told me I had to be last time and even though I knew I didn't, I buckled under the pressure and so wish I hadn't as my labour started independent of the pessary very suddenly when by MY dates she was 41 + 6, but by theirs was 42 + 2. She was ready to come then, showed no signs of having been in the water too long, the placenta was healthy and intact...

Get someone to come to your next appointment or call and ask to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives at the hospital and say that you are happy to be monitored but since you are showing positive signs already and you are very sure of your dates, you don't agree to being induced unless a specific medical reason says you should, and that you are very happy to have regular monitoring and a scan etc in the meantime and reassess in a few days/a week etc.

It is hard to stick up for yourself as they are so used to women doing as they are told so do have support. I recently had to write to the linical Midwifery Manager to get listened to but it did work and now the local midwifery team have changed their guidance as it was wrong.

Noone can mke you be induced. They might make it difficult for you to have a bab y at the MLU if you are outside their dates so the Supervisor of Midwives is a good bet as she has some input. If you have trouble also contact PALS (patient liaison) at your local hospital as they are fab at supporting you.

this is something I had not thought about - can they actually not allow me in the MLU if I am 42+weeks ??

PS No, you are not being stubborn or unreasonable.

Have you tried reflexology or acupuncture? Even try googling acupressure points for labour and massaging them. I know even some midwives who have recommended those treatments if you are overdue.

yes, I had an acupuncture session yesterday, FXed it will do something!

Ours says they don't, and I think as a general rule they don't as they consider you to be higher risk. That's why I would speak to the SoM and try to get her onside. She might be able to get a doctor to reassess your due date.

This might help for contact details. https://www.northeast.nhs.uk/_assets/media/pdf/SoM_List_-July_2011.pdf

Ours says they don't, and I think as a general rule they don't as they consider you to be higher risk. That's why I would speak to the SoM and try to get her onside. She might be able to get a doctor to reassess your due date.

was just reading the acceptance criteria for MLUs and says you cannot be over 40+12! do you know how strict they are?? even if labour started today i'd be late!! :growlmad:

-----------
EDIT - just PMed you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back