Scan today still haven't decided on NT scan or not

spicyorange

Reaction score
So i have 5 hours to decide, I'm keeping the baby what ever happens and I don't want a amneo if it is high risk due to the risk from the procedure, so am I better off not knowing the risk of ds, or at least knowing if it's high or low to prepare. I really can't decide and dh isn't helping much. I thought I'd have decided by now, but I don't know what the best thing to do is.... Only a few hours to decide.

I think Hun you must do what's best for you. Like you I'd keep my baby no matter what, but I have the tests done just so I can prepare myself if there is something wrong. Make sure baby received the right anti natal care etc. although like you I wouldn't have an ammnio. So many people have such strong opinions on it but it it's your body and baby so you must do what you feel is right. Hope all goes well.

Do you get the results at the same time or do your have to wait?

I have my scan tomorrow and am also undecided. Going to read through the leaflet I was given again tonight and see if that helps as it feels like ages ago when the midwife gave me the information and I don't think I fully took it in at the time.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Do you get the results at the same time or do your have to wait?

Ours get sent through the post a few days later. Although I'm sure if there was major concerns they would tell you while you were there.

I think it's a personal choice to you:) I have opted out of any testing as sometimes the scan creates 'high risk' numbers when everything may be perfectly fine. Then if you aren't going to have the amniocentesis you will just be worrying throughout your whole pregnancy not knowing. That's why I opted out. But like I say it's a totally individual decision.

I opted out which means my scan is a little earlier at 10 weeks so that's great for me :D

It's such an individual thing. I'm a planner so I wanted to know everything...the old knowledge is power thing; that's me. Plus I knew if something was wrong my prenatal care would be different, as well as where I delivered. Also, keep in mind that if it is high risk, you don't have to have an invasive test to get more definitive information. There are blood tests now available, like the MaterniT21, which is what I had, that will give you a "yes" or "no" answer regarding chromosome problems. Also remember that what you get with the NT is a ratio. It will never tell you if your baby has a problem. I see some women come on here upset that their test came back 'positive', but it's not that kind of test. It's a risk. I had a 1:11 risk for trisomy 13 and 18 with daughter, but it didn't mean she'd have trisomy 13 or 18, it just meant there was a possibility. She is fine, btw. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Make the best decision for you. I personally don't want to do it because I feel it will just make me worry the entire time. I have also been told you easily get false positives with two which is another reason I am planning on not doing it. The only thought I had on it was finding out gender because I am impatient. You can always opt for the non invasive blood test and if the results come back for further testing you don't have to do the invasive test. Just do what you feel will give you the better piece of mind or make you less stressed. I hope you figure it out :)

It is a personal decision, however most drs would say that if you are going to keep baby no matter what, then its really not worth the risk. I know im at higher risk of having a special needs child as hubby and i both have disabilities, but i cant fathom putting my baby at risk just to know ahead of time. I would rather not know until birth, than end up having a mc. Most times those tests are for those who may decide to terminate if baby has issues. But again its a personal decision.

Decided not to, seems no point worrying, I will love it regardless.

If you do change your mind and just would like to be prepared I.e. Know risk there is quite a small window of opportunity in which they can do this test. I don't think it is possible to do NT after 14/15 weeks.

I admire your resolution, good luck. Chances are small anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->