School Starters?

We start sept 8th. Meant to be phased in but every child has the right to full time place straiget away so we toled the school she would be full time from the start. She will be doing breat fast club also. Tbh it's a short day by comparison to her nursery days so reckon she will be fine.the class setup and style is identical to her nursery/preschool also

I wish Sophie could be phased into it a bit more gently! She's straight in 8.40-3. She gets tired so easily, always has done - possibly still a result of being so premature, I don't know - so I think she's going to struggle till she gets used to it. It took her till the summer term to be ok with 2 mornings a week at preschool, tiredness-wise! x

I wish Sophie could be phased into it a bit more gently! She's straight in 8.40-3. She gets tired so easily, always has done - possibly still a result of being so premature, I don't know - so I think she's going to struggle till she gets used to it. It took her till the summer term to be ok with 2 mornings a week at preschool, tiredness-wise! x

I hope she's ok when she starts. That was one of my friends concerns for her daughter, she was still having the odd nap up until she started school but seems to be ok and is just having an earlier bedtime. :hugs:

Do most schools in England start before 9am? 8.40 seems a bit early..

Niamh starts on Wednesday. She does a week and a half 9-12 and then goes into full days.

I'm glad it's phased in. She's still a baby really. I don't want to just dump her in the deep end. It's a lot to take in.

Callum starts on the 2nd of sept. Hes going to the same school he did nursery at so should be fine (hopefully!) He keeps asking when is he going back and getting excited to see his friends again. It'll be strange him going fulltime but he used to do a full day on a friday at school nursery and loved it so think he'll enjoy it but think I'll find it strange! He starts 9.05 til 12.05 for the first 2 weeks then goes to full days the week after which is 9.05 til 3.20 xx

Niamh starts on Wednesday. She does a week and a half 9-12 and then goes into full days.

I'm glad it's phased in. She's still a baby really. I don't want to just dump her in the deep end. It's a lot to take in.

I understand why they do phasing in periods, obviously some kids ready, some not! But I think 3+ weeks (in my case) is a long time to sort childcare. Most people have grandparents etc to help out but lots don't.

I understand why they do phasing in periods, obviously some kids ready, some not! But I think 3+ weeks (in my case) is a long time to sort childcare. Most people have grandparents etc to help out but lots don't.

School isn't child care though. They can't ignore what they think is best for the child for the sake of a few people's childcare.:shrug:

I would ideally like Niamh to have a bit longer phasing in, when I was little it was 6 weeks. It's a lot to take in and for me, knowing it's the start of 13 years of it makes me want to cry for her!

School isn't child care though. They can't ignore what they think is best for the child for the sake of a few people's childcare.:shrug:

I would ideally like Niamh to have a bit longer phasing in, when I was little it was 6 weeks. It's a lot to take in and for me, knowing it's the start of 13 years of it makes me want to cry for her!

But in a lot of schools it isn't just a few parents who would really struggle with a very long phased start. Most parents I know work and have said how hard covering the odd days will be. Even my SAHM friend has complained about the 3 week transition her daughter is having because it is very disruptive for the younger child and she will have to take both of them to the baby groups or not go at all for that time.

I do think there should be more flexibility for parents who feel their child needs longer to settle but I was over the moon when I found out Tom only had 2 half days as my DH is having to use holiday to cover those times - we have no family nearby to help. Plus at 4yrs 8 months he is an older one and is very ready to go.

But in a lot of schools it isn't just a few parents who would really struggle with a very long phased start. Most parents I know work and have said how hard covering the odd days will be. Even my SAHM friend has complained about the 3 week transition her daughter is having because it is very disruptive for the younger child and she will have to take both of them to the baby groups or not go at all for that time.

I do think there should be more flexibility for parents who feel their child needs longer to settle but I was over the moon when I found out Tom only had 2 half days as my DH is having to use holiday to cover those times - we have no family nearby to help. Plus at 4yrs 8 months he is an older one and is very ready to go.

I agree that phasing in should be allowed. But then again I'm an advocate of the old system of allowing January and Easter entrance instead. I have an October baby, who is very ready and really was ready last year to go. However I also have a May and an August baby who may not be so ready so early. They should be able to go into school when they're ready rather than being forced into it too early and potentially do damage to their education by putting them off or making them too tired to learn. In that system too they was potential for older children to start in the year above should their parents believe that's what best or needed. I think this gave more control and less stress to all involved.

But, the fact that school isn't childcare is the crux of the issue. In this day and age most people work, and the government is forever trying to get more people to do so by providing free childcare provision. I am lucky that I'm a SAHM - but the government sees this as a way of allowing people to work is getting children into education earlier. Our local infant schools all start straight away in September. this is fine for Earl who is nearly 5, but Charlie will be 4y3w when he starts school, that's a massive difference.

I'm not suggesting school is child care? I was referring to the 3 weeks of finishing at 12pm to cover childcare in those hours is really difficult if you work 9-5. I know it can be done but is a real struggle for some people - especially a single, working parent with absolutely no family/friend help. Anyway, it is what it is - suits some people but certainly not all.

My LO starts 1st September And straight in to full days 8.45-1.55, we are in Northern Ireland and our school day seems a lot shorter than most of your kids. I thought it was long here, and I'm dreading how tired LO will be.

My daughter starts next week. She goes 9-12 for all of September and then it's 9-2. She is so excited, I am not!

K starts 8th Sept - he can't wait as I quote 'Mummy I cant wait to go big school so I dont have to go shopping with you everyday' :haha:
His teacher is coming to our house on the 4th [he is changing schools so wants to met him before he starts] goes in for half day Friday then from 8.45 till 3 from Monday. They used to do 2 weeks phasing in, not sure what happened to that.

He is so ready he keeps asking everyday how long until big school, going to miss my little sidekick as he has been in nursery half days for 18 months so used to him being around what seems like all day lol. Also means I can do more stuff with DS2 before I go back to work in November

That Blazer uniform is super cute :cloud9:

K starts 8th Sept - he can't wait as I quote 'Mummy I cant wait to go big school so I dont have to go shopping with you everyday' :haha:
His teacher is coming to our house on the 4th [he is changing schools so wants to met him before he starts] goes in for half day Friday then from 8.45 till 3 from Monday. They used to do 2 weeks phasing in, not sure what happened to that.

He is so ready he keeps asking everyday how long until big school, going to miss my little sidekick as he has been in nursery half days for 18 months so used to him being around what seems like all day lol. Also means I can do more stuff with DS2 before I go back to work in November

That Blazer uniform is super cute :cloud9:

That's really good the teacher comes to your house to visit him, I like that idea! I miss my little sidekick as well :cry: but he's really loving school and meeting new friends and even the homework so far (fingers crossed it stays that way :lol: )

Here's Ava!

She starts on next friday for the full 9-3 day!

10563119_10154595886830294_7833805507983618682_n.jpg

Omar started today, from 7:50 till 2:40 everyday.

All FS1 teachers were there welcoming the children & inroducing them to their new teachers in FS2. It was so nice &considerate of them, omar felt relaxed when he saw his old teacher there , he's in primary school building now.

The school system is so different there than it is here. We start in September and some kids are still 3 when they start. They go straight into full days 9:00-3:30.

Right - I only have 2 jobs left to do and 1 of those is optional lol.

We now have every bit of his uniform including wellies, pe kit, the whole kit and caboodle.

It all needs trying on and then naming which should take me a good few evenings lol.

The optional job is to make a 'carrier bag' for Earl's wellies. It just says carrier bag but I don't really think a plastic bag is going to stand up to punishment or be recogniseable so I'm off to the fabric shop on thursday to buy some fabric and I plan on making him a tote bag for his wellies to hang off his peg - sounds sad but I think he'll like it.

He's so very excited! We're sorting his uniform this afternoon once I've tidied up and vacuumed lol. Don't want it getting covered in crumbs and dog hair! lol :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->