• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

School Uniforms or Regular Clothes

leeanne

Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2
Reaction score
I see that school uniforms are a necessity in some countries, to which I think it's a great idea.

Here, some private Catholic or Christian schools require it, but not in public schools.

Do you think it's an advantage or disadvantage?

I am all for school uniform. Think it looks smart, kids all look same so less chance of bullying if you don't have 'right' clothes. I think it works out cheaper as well

I think that all pupils should have to wear a school uniform, school uniforms act as a social leveler if you know what i mean. All pupils are equal in the eyes of each other and the school - they can't be picked on for dressing in a certain way or for not having the correct designer clothes. It takes the stress off the pupils and the parents.
I know what it feels like having to pick something out for work everyday so that I look goodand fit in and people don't talk about me - it costs money!

Also I think pupils wearing a school uniform sets them up to work and learn. They have their school uniform on so they are at school to learn iykwim. If you were to wear your own clothes to school it would be more like a social event not a working/school enviroment.

i had school uniform and hated it to start with but by the end of school i was very glad we had it! you could tell on certain charity days where we all gave £1 to charity and wore our own clothes, some were wearing ridiculous designer clothes, some turned up as all different stereotypes (e.g. chav or goth or whatever) and some looked like they were really poor :( i hated it you could see everyone sizing each other up and giggling behind backs etc. maybe its cos we were all girls and hormonal and bitchy lol but basically UNIFORM ALL THE WAY

School uniform definitely. Takes away the whole 'look at me i can afford expensive clothes' factor... one less stress for teenagers to worry about around their peers at school! xx

School uniform. It takes away the bullying because of designer labels. And most jopbs require uniforms or a dress code so it prepares them for the world of work
xx

Most schools in the UK have a uniform. I prefer it as kids can be picked on for not wearing the 'right' clothes :nope:

I'm in the UK and almost every school has a uniform. I, personally, found that uniforms were a good thing. As much as I didn't like them as a kid I can see they kind of 'levelled the playing field,' everyone wore the same thing so people weren't picked on for what they were wearing.

Im all for school uniforms too. I think they look good and give kids a sense of belonging IYKWIM. however, wtf @ them costing so much?

p.s. i dont know of any schools around here without a uniform.

i don't think uniform does cost too much, much cheaper than buying everyday clothes

The majority of schools have uniforms here now too. Back when I was in primary school, we didn't have a uniform.
I am all for uniforms though, I think it makes kids look nice and smart, there is less chance of bullying because you are wearing something daggy. The one thing I think is that uniforms need to be cheaper. Some of them are terribly expensive.

I guess I am the only one who wouldn't want a uniform. :)

I liked dressing how I wanted, and I like picking out clothes for H :D My identity as a teenager, had a lot to do with how I was dressed.

Very pro uniform. Having taught in schools with and without uniform it is so much easier if the kids wear them. There is no one- upmanship with clothes and everyone is the same.

None of the schools here have the whole blazer thing going on so uniform is not expensive. We sell our sweatshirts/ poloshirts/ cardies with the logo on but the kids can wear school colours, doesn't have to be the school ones. So parents can buy the multipack blue sweatshirts/ poloshirts etc from Asda, M&S, wherever.

Plenty of time to express yourself through your clothes after 3.30 and at the weekends.

Oh see thats a better idea, just coloured clothes and maybe a logo jumper. My primary was really expensive for uniform. It was blazer, poloshirt, pinafor, skirts blah blah all logoed :(

I agree with school uniforms for all the above reasons and it also makes it alot easier to identify what school the little so and so goes to that hurls abuse or throws something at your passing car so you can go tell the headmaster about them :)

In primery school we just had grey skirts and red jumpers, you wouild always gt the odd person coming to school out of uniform but in the lower school it wasnt a big a deal as long as it didnt happen all the time and during the summer we wore red and white chequered dresses.
In high school it was blazers and ties with a different colour tie for older years and god help you if you didnt come in uniform but then everyone was the same and it helped people to fit in better, you get enough grief from girls that think there all that without throwing in wearing different clothes.
As far as I concerned save indevigual identeties for after school in your own time, school should be a good learning curve towards life in a uniform and rule bassed job and society.

I love it. They used to be mainly seen in catholic schools in my area but now all of the schools seem to have taken them on.
There are a few different options at my girl's school so they still get to inject some of their individuality into the way they dress but the kids are easily identifiable and it cuts down on some of the obvious differences in income between kids. It gets them in the mentality to work just as getting dressed for work can for me, and they can go mad with their clothes when they come home. In fact my youngest seems to be able to work wonders putting her funky wee style into her uniform :lol:
Uniforms are generally quite affordable these days although my nieces school demands that their uniforms are all from M&S. :(

I am for school uniforms, no one gets picked on for having wrong clothes on, no brand names and theres no competition. I like a school that has a proper uniform though I dont consider track suits I see in some primary schools here to be uniform but then I am old fashion and went to a convent school. I think also school uniforms should be allowed to be bought from tesco etc as I noticed the price of a school jumper here from the school which you have to buy is ridiculous and you arnt allowed any clothes that are from supermarkets in some schools here everyone has to look the same and pay the same which in this case is a lot. I know parents who spent over £100 on one uniform not including shoes!

I hate school uniforms, purely because of the price! getting my 3 kitted out for school this term is going to cost me over £300, and most of that will need replacing by next term, coz they're made so badly!

Around here, kids dont get bullied for not havng designer labels etc.. if anything, they get bullied at school FOR wearing the correct uniform, the 'cool kids' rebel and wear jeans etc, and then bully the kids that obey the uniform.

Not so much for my primary kids, but my eldest who is in secondary school now would cost me a LOT less kitting him out in designer labels rather than his school uniform!

I also think they take the whole uniform thing too far at some at schools. My sons school is just your average public school, yet on the uniform list in the prospectus, they go as far as telling you what hair styles you HAVE to have for school! For example, you're not allowed to go to school with shaved hair.. WTF? My son always has his hair shaved in summer because its a lot more comfy in the heat, and I certainly wont be changing this come the warmer months next year, just coz its 'the wrong uniform' for his school!

We always had to have hair up off the colar at school so if it was long it had to be tied up, we never had a problem with it as you except these rules and agree to them when you take a place at the school.
But then I had a military upbringing so maybe I was used to the idea of uniforms and taking pride in what you were representing plus I then went on to being in the air training corp so Iv always been in one uniform or another and have always taken pride in wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->