• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

School Uniforms or Regular Clothes

I've never seen a school that wore uniforms. I guess it's not very common here. :shrug: Interesting thread! I can definitely see where it'd be helpful but I truly think kids will just find something else to make fun of, IYKWIM. :flower:

I'm 100% for school uniforms. I've been in schools with and without. My second school was quite and expensive private one so honestly there was nobody that couldn't afford the clothes they wanted and it was not competitive so they had no uniform and it was fine. but in my old school there were people that really would have been bullied for being in clothes handed down and it would have been unfair so there was a uniform. Also it's easier to have a uniform that be picking our new clothes for kids everyday

Also slightly off topic but I find it crazy how much schools are charging for uniforms. What is wrong with a shirt from m&s and can't there be iron on crests? It's just unacceptable how much some people are expected to shell out. Mums with alot of kids must dread september

i never had to wear a uniform for school and i was teased for a lot more than just what i was wearing :p. kids are ruthless and they will find anything to tease someone about.

i work at a retail store that sells uniform clothes and this past month i've noticed that the parents that have to buy uniforms are a lot more stressed out than the parents that just buy a few pairs of jeans and some tops.

i don't really think it matters tbh, i went to school without uniforms and was still able to learn and go to college after high school.

The majority of schools do not require a uniform here as I initially posted.

When I was in junior high school, I started to get picked on for what I wore. My mom was a single parent mom so she could not afford the designer clothes. It went on for years and it was horrible. The time it stopped was when I was 16 and my first job was in a clothing store. After I got that job, girls were jealous. LOL

It is sad that so much importance in school is placed on what kids wear. And so if uniforms came into effect here, I wouldn't be upset. It also prevents some kids in the later years from wearing too revealing of clothes.

Well I have seen trouble at british schools and I have seen troublesome German schools and I don't think it makes a difference. and I think a expensive school uniform is a bit too much for parentsd with low income. and for the 'right clothes' I think you could see too if parents have the money for a new set of uniforms or used ones or how often they get new ones.

I'm 110% for school uniforms. Before I could work and get my own clothes, I was made fun of for what I wore. There were cliques. But once I started wearing "cooler" clothes, I instantly made more friends. :shrug:

Im all for uniforms but i find their general "rules" about nail varnish, makeup, hair etc etc ridiculous. So what if you want to wear a bit of makeup to school :shrug:

We 'discourage' make up in our school. (yip, in Primary.) The reason behind it is that it just becomes another thing that kid focus on other than lessons. You would not believe the stir it can cause when one girl wears lippy and eyeshadow (and I don't just mean me wondering why 10 year olds need make up at school!!!)- it becomes a big chattering point among the kids and another distraction. The same happens when boys get design/s shaved in their hair etc. In our school it is a bit about reminding the kids that /they are children not adults and there to learn.

See our schooling system is 3 tier, so it doesnt really come into play until the kids are like 13/14 years old and by that time most girls are "into" that kind of thing.

Eeek, 10 year olds wearing makeup, really? :shock:

I have been to both types of schools, and I greatly preferred non-uniform although I can see the benefits to having a uniform. The sense of belonging, neatness, and not having to worry about wearing the 'right' clothes is nice, but it's true that kids will always find something else to make fun of. :( I also disliked having to remember to wash my uniform clothes every day and how quickly the clothes wore out being worn so often! Our uniforms were pretty simple, a white or light blue shirt with navy blue trousers or skirt (girls could wear trousers if they wanted).

ETA: I might have enjoyed the uniforms more if they were the blazer/tie/skirt type- so adorable! lol

See our schooling system is 3 tier, so it doesnt really come into play until the kids are like 13/14 years old and by that time most girls are "into" that kind of thing.

Eeek, 10 year olds wearing makeup, really? :shock:

Oh you'd be surprised! Quite often it can be full slap as well- eyes, lips, foundation. Not to mention the highlights and poker straight GHD'd hair. The one that shocked me the most was when one of the girls had a makeover/ pampering party at one of those party centres when she turned 11. The girls were all telling me that theu had their nails done, etc but I kept staring at the girl whose birthday it was and couldn't work out what looked different about her- until I asked what she had done and she told me that she had had her eyebrows waxed:nope: I couldn't quite believe it. I can understand when really dark haired girls are about that age and want to do something about underarm hair but eyebrows- seriously?

We are nursery, primary is 5- 12 (ish) then secondary for 12+

Thats pretty bad :shock:

Slighty OT but i saw a sign in the window for a nail bar last week and it said "acrylic nails for under 16's - £15" I couldnt belive it and nor could OH, i wouldnt begrudge kids getting their nails painted as a one off for a party or special occaision, but acrylic nails? :wacko:

Kids are growing up way too fast :(

I am a teacher & I worked in a school that did not have a uniform but in the time I taught one one was introduced. The difference was amazing, behaviour improved, attitudes changed & bullying was reduced. I am 100% for schools having a uniform

That is my huge fear tbh. Am a Mummy of a girl I worry so much about her growing up too fast. Nails painted as a one off is fine but I can't agree with it being a regular thing. I just feel that people need to think really carefully about what is happening to our kids. We are shocked as kids become sexually active younger and younger but don't seem to stop and think about how all that happens. It isn't an overnight thing but as they do all these right of passage type things earlier and earlier, it just follows along.

School uniforms definitely, I think it looks tidier and, here anyway, they offer a variety of styles. Here school uniforms are mandatory for all Catholic schools and a lot of public schools... they have done a lot to make them affordable for all families, and they collect outgrown ones at the end of the year for those who can't afford to buy (for the next school year).

People were able to show their individuality in other ways.. hairstyles, jewelry, make up, nails, shoes, etc. We also had civies days, usually had to pay $2 for a charity of some kind or student council fundraiser or bring in canned goods etc. Those were probably once every couple of months.

My school started at 8am, had to leave just after 7, didn't mind getting extra time to sleep/focus on my face and hair rather than putting on 10 different things a day lol

uniforms all the way!! everyone wears the same, no one can get picked on for that reason, and its sooooooo much easier!!!

Yes I'm for uniforms, its all about identifying & representing with the school they belong to.
Like someone else said if everyones got the same clothes on then they cant be picked on for not dressing to conform with others. A lot of the uniforms for under 7's in the UK are also generic so dont cost so much from places like Asda,Tescos etc.

I seen an add on kids tv this morning for shoes for like a 7 year old with a free make up kit :O maybe i am out of touch or something but make up came when I was in secondary school when i went to teen discos then the nuns would make us take it off when we got older lol

Kids will still be better and wear more expensive clothes than other kids but uniforms definitely level out the playing field to a great degree.

I hated uniform in school but I see why it was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->